What's new

Gillette Aristocrat or How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the RAD

I found a Gillette Aristocrat (with case) at an antique store yesterday for $50. I don't know what year it is, but it looked to be in pretty good condition. I passed on it at the time, having recently bought myself a new razor, but after I got home regret started to seep in. I'm not a collector, and don't plan to become one, and my knowledge of vintage razors is limited at best. Still, I couldn't shake the feeling that I passed on a good find. I'm probably coming to the wrong place to be talked out of purchasing another razor, but thought I'd see what the general consensus is regarding Aristocrats. Am I a dummy for not buying it immediately? Should I go back? Is the allure of a vintage razor largely overrated and I'd be better off putting that money towards something modern? Have I avoided the coronavirus only to be infected with razor acquisition disorder? All opinions welcome.

There are a lot of Gillettes carrying the "Aristocrat" moniker. You should try to confirm what the store has against the listing on Mr. Razor's Gillette web site. Or take a picture and post it here.

I have two of the gold plated US models, circa late 1940s, and they are super shavers. Worth $50? That's not for me to say. You are in a position to inspect it, ensure it works good, looks good. Something that you can't do to an online purchase. That might be worth something.

You are weighing this against putting the money into a modern razor. I don't think the list of modern razors you can buy for $50 that shaves as well as the Aristocrat is as long as you think.

Go back, take pics and post here. As mentioned, Aristocrat's are excellent razors! I have a '48 and keep it on display to admire and shave with it periodically and am always amazed at the shave it gives.

R

romsitsa

If you want/need it, go get it. As a razor it’s a fancy Superspeed with a thicker handle.

Adam

After I switched to DE 10+ years ago, I bought a beater Aristocrat with no case off ebay for $30 to try out. At the time, I favored a milder 52 SuperSpeed and found the Aristocrat too aggressive for my (inexperienced) liking. Depending on its condition, year and case (matching the year), I'd consider spending $50 on it after making sure it doesn't have a lazy door, which mine had.

A'crats whether Brit or US are fantastic razors and I own plenty of each. If its in good shape and cased, $50 is quite reasonable.

The moral of the story is: when you find a razor that you are even mildly interested in, jump on it, because it could be gone in less than 24 hours.
3D8AE1BF-151B-4204-8DF6-B36B22E689F7.gif

So it was gone? That sucks...
Huge bummer. I really thought the chances of it being picked up in less than a day, during a time when people are being told to stay at home no less, were quite slim. I’ve been trying to console my broken heart by reminding myself that it may have had something wrong with it upon closer inspection, but that’s done little to alleviate that sinking feeling in my gut.

Still, even though I lost out this time, I appreciate all the insight y’all provided. Vintage razors are not my forte, so it was hard to drop $50 on something I knew so little about. You win some, you lose some.

You expect the B&B crowd to talk you out of buying a razor?? Seriously??

BUY BOTH!! Life is short. :a29: :a29:
I’m pretty cautious by nature and often need a gentle push, especially when spending money, and I knew y’all would nudge me in the right direction. Unfortunately my apprehension didn’t work out this time.

Update!

Being prone to want what I cannot have, the instant I missed out on my antique store find I went to eBay to see if I could find something comparable. I discovered a razor that looked to be in as good as, if not better, shape than the one I originally passed on, placed a bid, and after an excruciating week-long wait, am now the proud owner of my first Gillette Aristocrat. I do not know what year the antique store one was, but the eBay one is listed as being either a 1946 or 47, and after shipping, was $12 less.

aristocrat.jpg

Top Bottom