What's new

Gillette Aristocrat #66 - Any Ideas

Hi,
I recently acquired what I understand is an Aristocrat #66 and am curious as to the presence of two small v shaped prongs on the underside of the T bar. Can anyone shed any light as to the purpose or reasons for the same ? Many thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 8513C8DC-6C98-4E78-85EC-6BA0421E3ED6.jpeg
    8513C8DC-6C98-4E78-85EC-6BA0421E3ED6.jpeg
    6.2 MB · Views: 60

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Are there not pieces like that which need to be straightened, as yours appear to be, in order to remove the T bar assembly after removing the screw inside the handle? My Red Tip was certainly like that. They are normally crimped over I think to hold the assembly in place. I could be totally wrong here.

R

romsitsa

Folded out these hold the door assembly in place once the bottom screw is removed (see US Aristocrats, Superspeeds).
It lacks on early British TTOs (Popular, Aristocrat Jr. Gen 1, Aristocrat Gen 1, Gen 2) where it would make sense, but some later models, where it makes zero sense (Gen 4 Aristocrat, flare tip Superspeed), have it.

Folded out these hold the door assembly in place once the bottom screw is removed (see US Aristocrats, Superspeeds).
It lacks on early British TTOs (Popular, Aristocrat Jr. Gen 1, Aristocrat Gen 1, Gen 2) where it would make sense, but some later models, where it makes zero sense (Gen 4 Aristocrat, flare tip Superspeed), have it.
Thanks, I understand what you are describing, but these teeth seem to be absent on other generation 4 Aristocracts that I’ve seen online, mr. Razor etc. Wondering if Gillette were simply using up T Bar stock intended for other models or whether there was an initial idea to use the folded out teeth on the 4th generation Aristocrats but subsequently dispensed with…

Are there not pieces like that which need to be straightened, as yours appear to be, in order to remove the T bar assembly after removing the screw inside the handle? My Red Tip was certainly like that. They are normally crimped over I think to hold the assembly in place. I could be totally wrong here.
Thanks, certainly could be for that purpose although there are no signs that these teeth were ever crimped over and had been straightened. I’m wondering if the original idea was to have these on gen 4 but then it was dispensed with as many other gen 4 don’t have them… perhaps using up old stock…

R

romsitsa

Thanks, I understand what you are describing, but these teeth seem to be absent on other generation 4 Aristocracts that I’ve seen online, mr. Razor etc. Wondering if Gillette were simply using up T Bar stock intended for other models or whether there was an initial idea to use the folded out teeth on the 4th generation Aristocrats but subsequently dispensed with…

It's present on some No 66, No 70 and flare tips . It only makes sense with a long center rod and securing bottom screw, but the last such British razors (Gen 2 Aristocrat, Gen A. Jr) didn't have these prongs.

some further examples from Achim:

Thanks again, from Mr. Razor I saw that the 50s super speed had this crimped arrangement. It would seem that a super speed t bar / part thereof somehow ended up on the aristocrat production line ..

R

romsitsa

Aristocrat and Ss parts are completely interchangeable, the changes made during production appeared on all TTO models at the same time. The only exceptions being heavy(III) and light(I) base plates for the Ss trio.

Top Bottom