What's new

Gillette aftershave?

Has anybody tried any of Gillette's aftershaves? I have a can of Gillette mach 3 shaving gel which I am using while I'm waiting for my brush and soap to arrive, and to be honest, I really like the smell. So I think I might like their aftershave as well, any thoughts?

Last edited:
I really like the CoolWave AS. I've been a fan of the CoolWave scent in their deodorants since the 90's so I recently tried the AS. It's much spicier and bolder, to me not much at all like the deodorant scent, but still it's very good. It's long lasting too, more of a cologne than an AS.

I'm also a fan of the Gillette Cool Wave aftershave splash. My girlfriend loves the scent, and I like how my face feels after using it. I think this is one that might be overlooked by many fellow wet shavers because of Gillette favoring cartridges, but I encourage everyone to at least give it a try our a test sniff when at Wal-Mart or whatever store you come across it in. It's always in my rotation.

I really like the CoolWave AS. I've been a fan of the CoolWave scent in their deodorants since the 90's so I recently tried the AS. It's much spicier and bolder, to me not much at all like the deodorant scent, but still it's very good. It's long lasting too, more of a cologne than an AS.

I can't remember when I first discovered Cool Wave AS but it had to have been in the 2000's; I have some and like it. I've also tried their CW deodorant and think the match is pretty good. I agree 100% that the AS more of a cologne, very strong and long lasting.

Not meaning to muddy the water in this thread, but during the same time frame, Gillette also made an AS called Storm Force that I prefer to CW but sadly, that was discontinued. It is a vastly different fragrance and has the same strength and staying power. I have 1 open bottle and 2 squirreled away. FWIW they also made a deodorant with the same SF scent.

Like the others, I have used it and usually keep a bottle around. Good stuff and good moisturizing(a bit too much for me usually). Excellent $5 dollar aftershave!

The Gillette Series shave gel and foam as well as Series after shave gel and Cool wave splash and Cool Wave Deodorant are all the same Cool Wave scent. Body wash too. No shortage of the Gillette Cool Wave scent. I like it. The Gillette Series after shave gel is in a blue green short plastic bottle/tube. Cool Wave scent plus it cools very well.

I'm a fan of Gillette Cool Wave as well. The only issue I have with it is the castor oil in it. It leaves a bitter tase if you get it on your lips, and I would be careful getting too close with SWMBO for about an hour or so after applying it. I'm curious as to whether anyone else notices this.

I don't remember ever reading the list of ingredients so didn't know about the castor oil. Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

I was at Dollar General buying a few bottles of Barbasol AS at $1.75 a pop when I saw Gillette CW AS for 1/2 price at $2.50. Couldn't pass it up at that price so I bought a bottle. I only used it once but I really liked the fragrance. I'm no expert, but to me it smelled very clean and masculine. It also had pretty good staying power for an AS.

My wife made me gift it to my father when I intended to give him a bottle of Barbasol. She thought Barbasol was too cheap for a present. Now I regret not having bought a few bottles of the Gillette.

The last ingredient listed on the bottle is hydrogenated castor oil. I never noticed the castor oil before. The fragrance is a mossy, woodsey green scent.

I just picked up a bottle of Cool Wave at CVS. Gave it a quick splash when i got home, SWMBO approves so I guess its gonna be a keeper.

I've tried the Gillette Cool Wave aftershave splash a handful of times now, and each times it burns and causes red splotches to appear on my face. I feel a lot better after I rinse it of with cold water.I don't get this feeling with any of my other aftershaves.what does this indicate about the Cool Wave? Because right now I'm just thinking it's way too high alcohol content.

I am a fan of Coolwave AS however in Canada in Shoppers Drug Mart it sells for almost 12.99, i have a bottle but I would rather spend the extra bucks for Fine. Still pretty good scent and does its job

I've tried the Gillette Cool Wave aftershave splash a handful of times now, and each times it burns and causes red splotches to appear on my face. I feel a lot better after I rinse it of with cold water.I don't get this feeling with any of my other aftershaves.what does this indicate about the Cool Wave? Because right now I'm just thinking it's way too high alcohol content.

There's actually no alcohol in the AS. Possibly the castor oil previously mentioned isn't sitting well with your skin.

I picked up a bottle this afternoon while at WalMart and was very impressed! Nice fresh scent, left my skin feeling good, and super cheap to top it all off. Highly recommend picking up a bottle!

There's actually no alcohol in the AS. Possibly the castor oil previously mentioned isn't sitting well with your skin.

I picked up a bottle this afternoon while at WalMart and was very impressed! Nice fresh scent, left my skin feeling good, and super cheap to top it all off. Highly recommend picking up a bottle!

Ingredient #1: ALCOHOL, DENAT.
$IMG_0543s.jpg
$IMG_0544s.jpg

I really like the CoolWave AS. I've been a fan of the CoolWave scent in their deodorants since the 90's so I recently tried the AS. It's much spicier and bolder, to me not much at all like the deodorant scent, but still it's very good.
I like the scent of the Cool Wave aftershave. I've never sniffed at or tried any other "cool Wave" anything that they have marketed. I vaguely recall that they have had previous aftershaves that I was less appreciative of.

I've used it since my previous comment 2 weeks ago. I don't get the burning if I just use less of it. I rub a couple drops between my palms and then apply to my face, and there's no pain.

What I had been doing was splashing a small puddle (dime sized) in one palm, then splash it onto my face, very wet, and rub it around until my face was wet everywhere. I attribute this kind of wet splash application to the burning I was getting. Still, my other aftershaves tolerate this well.

Top Bottom