What's new

Gillette Adjustables

Hi guys,

I recently bought some Gillette Adjustables: a Fatboy and a Black Beauty. I already have a Flare Tip Superspeed.
Before starting to use them, I'd like to know which setting on the adjustables corresponds to a regular Superspeed. Is it a 3, or more a 5?

Are the settings and the range of settings equal for a Fatboy, Slim and Black Beauty?
I also have a Progress, and this is quite a bit more agressive than a regular Superspeed. I'm having trouble dialing it up past no. 2.

Many thanks!

I have a Super Speed and a Super Adjustable and use the SA on 2. That seems about like the SS to me. Others may have a different perception.

My Slim on 2 is about the same as a flare-tip SuperSpeed.... I trust the Slim is like the Super Adjustable in this regard. But I don't have a Super Adjustable, so I'm not sure.
A Fatboy is more aggressive, but I'm not sure how much so at a 1 or 2. We're still on the mild end of things -- maybe the 1 is like the flare tip.

I don't think you'll be anything like sure until you try them, and then let us know!

On my face, a setting of 3 on the Fat Boy shaves like a 1940s Super Speed. I set mine at 5 and get close, irritation-free shaves every time!

The blade gap settings are different between the Super Adjustable and the Fat Boy/Slim adjustables. The SA needs to be dialed up one notch to equal the same blade gap as the others.

Blade gap is only one factor of how a razor shaves . . . the weight, balance, and top cap/safety bar geometry also play a part and are different between the three razors.

Some guys report that the SA is the best shaver of the three . . . will be interesting to hear what your experience is with them after a few shaves! Enjoy!

Personally, I can only comment on a comparison between Fat Boy & Slim.

I use Feather blades in both razors...

Fat Boy: I normally have it on #6 without issues on the 1st pass, #3 on the second.

Slim: I just tried my 1st shave with it (just got it) on #5 and had to resort to the alum block to stem the blood flow. I was bleeding on the 1st pass.

1st pass is with the grain, 2nd is against the grain; always after a morning shower and a face soak with a hot face cloth.

For me, the Slim was more aggressive on a lower setting than the Fat Boy. It was a tough lesson to learn. I'll try the Slim again, but on #3 this time...and with a fresh blade. Yes, the alum block will be near by.

Top Bottom