What's new

Gillette Adjustable; What number do you use?

Slim. Currently on 7. First time using one last week, started it on 3 and notched it up one for each shave. Each shave has been better than the last. Will try 8 and 9 next week as using a different razor this week.

Don't use my fatboy or slim as much as I used to. I use feather blades which are on the sharp side. In the Fatboy I usually max it. The Slim's seem to need to be dialed down to about 7 +/- 1 to get the same smooth comfortable shave. I think that runs contrary to what most people say, but that's the way it works for me.

I started DE shaving with a slim. I bought a sampler pack of blades to run in it. I found that adjusting the Slim up or down a click or two usually compensated for the blade. There are many factors that will impact the setting.

I wouldn't spend too much time thinking about which setting is best or if you should be doing what other people do.

What feels best is the right one for you.

I have sensitive skin and a medium coarse beard. I use a Fatboy on 3 with a Feather blade. Every time. Perfect for me and gives me a BBS shave with no irritation.

The efficiency is in the quality of the blade as well.

Same as Chango...a "Fat Boy" on 3 ( or sometimes 4 ), but using vintage Gillette Stainless "Spoiler" blades. :001_cool:

I leave my adjustables on about 3 most of the time. I can get a good close shave with no irritation and I have a tough beard.

I used my Fatboy at 7. IMO the way to do it is start at the lowest setting and move up a tick as needed. Use the lowest setting that gives the results you want. I mostly use my Futur though, and only need to dial up to 2 on that. But that's not a Gillette so.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Again, it is great to see some lines of consensus and on others , not so much. I I have gotten a sampler of blades and my next experiences will be to see how that variable plays out. I hope to find my "every day blade" and setting pattern and sit back and keep enjoying the great new shaves and new routine that really is the payoff. Taking a little more time and performing a ritual that gives back in tactile pleasure is the gift.

Cheers folks!

Slim on 3 for most situations. If I've skipped a day, I'll go nuts and set it to 4. My skin's not 80 years old (yet), but it's prone to nicks and irritation with all but the most mild of razors going WTG and XTG. I'm happy with DFS, no nicks/weepers and no ingrowns. Slim on 3 ("1, 2, 3: SLIM!") fits the bill.

I've been restoring and using straights for about 2 years now and I've noticed that alot of straight razor users are also collectors of safety razors as well, so I purchased a few safety razors too. Purchased a Gilette Black Beauty and used it today and noticed I could barely feel the edge at first and tried all the settings and finally settled on 5-7 on a 4 pass scenario, the fourth being a water only pass. Nice close comfortable shave but I do like the feel of a straights naked steel a little better. I have a medium beard with very dry and sensitive skin.

I consider my beard to be troublesome and my skin fairly sensitive, so at present I set the '62 Slim at 6 for the first (WTG) pass on a 48-hour beard, down to 5 for the ATG second pass, and to 4 or 3 for the final XTG pass on the throat alone. At the beginning of my time with the Slim, I used to shave 1-3-5, but I've found that going more aggressive with the longer beard and less with each reduction pass works better for me. 5-3-1 was my regular setup for a while, but now I'm getting better results with the higher settings.

When I had a Fatboy I set it to 9. Switched to a Slim, which I still have. Still like the 9 setting. I've been using it with Feather blades and not getting results I like--seems like I just can't get off the stubble along and under my jaw without irritation. I just got some Astra SP blades and I'm thinking the Slim might do better for me with those. Question for Gillette adjsutable users: Do you open the doors before changing settings?

I have recently, for the sake of experimentation, tried all of my adjustables on the higher settings with Feather and KAI blades. I found that if I paid attention to blade angle, shallow is better, a great shave can be achieved without weepers or rash but usually I'm a 5-7 kinda guy.

Top Bottom