What's new

Gillette Adjustable (Slim/Fat Boy) Blade Gaps

Has anyone seen the Gillette Blade gap chart on the Raz-Emp site? They list the gaps of both the Slim and the Fat Boy at setting 1 to by .015 in./.381mm. They preface their measurements by saying they were taken from new old stock or non-circulated razors obtained from Gillette or Gillette employees. Basically they are saying these are new untouched, never used, never dropped, etc. razors that were used for obtaining measurements.

These measurements differ from the blade gap chart in the shave Wiki here on B&B which indicates the Slim and Fat Boy on setting 1 should be .022 in./.56 mm.

I have a couple Slims and Fat Boys that I will be doing restorations on soon and will disassemble them for cleaning polishing and possibly re-plating. I have measure the gaps on all of the razors I will be working on, and non of them match the gaps on B&B or Raz-Emp. so I can't verify which resource may be correct or closer to correct. When I re-assemble them, I want to make sure they are set correctly and to the factory specs as when manufactured.

Now I know 10 people can measure blade gaps and come up with 10 different measurements. Seeking advice from those that have restored their vintage Gillette adjustable's as to what gap settings you used.

Sounds like gap needs to be reset. Google Faboy gap and you should find Captain Murphy’s video on disassembly and adjusting.

Cheers
John

I have watched Captain Murphy's videos many times which was my inspiration for restoring these vintage Gillette's. I am just puzzled by the difference between the two resources Raz-Emp. and B&B Wiki as far as gap settings.

The Fat Boy and the Slim were mass produced in very large numbers on assembly lines by fallible humans. I'm not surprised there are slightly different measurements.

But I would suggest the measurement should be well within 10% of each other. Otherwise there was a problem with quality control. Fortunately the fact that these razors and their efficiency are "adjustable" mitigates the problem somewhat.

Furthermore, who knows how many times some of these razors may have been dropped or otherwise abused during the past 50 years or so?

As with most mass produced items there will be a certain amount of tolerance plus or minus. The numbers at the various locations may still be within acceptable tolerances. I know that in the fountain pen world, even two let's say Medium nibs from the same manufacturer will rarely be the same - but within a range. Let alone a Medium from say Pelikan and another from Parker or Pilot or Platinum. I am sure the same is true with DE razors.

I just use 0.032" at Setting 5, which is what Captain Murphy sets his razors at when you send it to him for adjustment. This number corresponds to the B&B Wiki.

Is that with or without a blade loaded, I want to say the gaps are with a blade, but not absolutely positive. And blade thicknesses have slightly shifted over time since say the 1920s. - So wouldn't the blade ever so slightly affect the gap?

That was with the blade (Astra SP) and since blades have actually gotten thinner the gap should increase. I would also think blade width would effect the gap as the blade is angled/curved at the area of exposure. I remember a post here a while back that measured blade width and there was some variance but not significant if I recall.

Glenn Conti's website has different specs then the Raz/Emp chart and the B&B Wiki. So now I have 3 resources all with different specs. Raz/Emp and Glenn's site are closer to each other then the B&B Wiki.

Very confusing for a relative noo-b in the world of vintage Gillette's

Measurements are always with the blade in - that's why they call it a "blade gap" ;-)

Although blades have gotten thinner historically, they haven't gotten thinner since about the 1930s. Blades were about the same thickness as today when the adjustables were designed.

BTW the difference in thickness between a thick blade and a modern one is about 0.002", so a thick blade would only reduce the gap by 0.001", which is less than half a click setting.

Glenn's website has gaps that are way too small. When in doubt, believe the experts like Captain Murphy.

Top Bottom