What's new

Gillette Adjustable Black Beauty Long Handle DE Razor First Use & Thoughts

hey people so I just used my much anticipated Gillette Adjustable Black Beauty Long Handle 109 DE Razor with my favourite blade gillette nacet

so started off testing the waters and first few strokes with number one then number 3, 5 and straight to 9 and settled down on number 9,
number 9 just took everything off smoothly with ease, bare in mind im a head shaver with thick and coarse hair,
any straight onto number 7 and then to finish it off with the number 5

i've tried a fair few adjustable and this is the first adjustable that i can actually say i really enoyed it

easy going against the grain, the handle has a really nice grip plus the added bonus of a nice long hande makes the back of the head area a lot easier

i always hear of people recommending the gillette slims and fatboys but why doesnt the black beauty get as much love?

now i havent used a fatboy yet so cant compare but really impressed with the black beauty and i actually prefer it over my gillette slim adjustable tbh

what are your thoughts on this black beauty razor? any fans?

I think the Black Beauty does get quite a bit of love as well fwiw. Although the razor head design is very similar (?identical) to the Slim, the handle being a different material significantly changes the balance point and overall feel of the razor as a whole. The "top-heavy" effect really seems to work for some people. I personally go back and forth about which one I prefer (Slim vs Black Beauty).

Reactions: saj
Yea amazing razor

What makes it your favorite exactly?

Like to hear what you love about it exactly [emoji106]
I find it more comfortable when compared to slim at the same setting. Long handle also is one of the advantage which makes me feel more easy to control.

Reactions: saj
My first DE razor was a Super Adjustable I got in the Navy in 1976. It, along with a Flare Tip, were my only DE razors until 2011. Wasn't until I had amassed a few more razors did I realized that my Black Beauty didn't shave that well. At some point in its long journey, I whacked it out of alignment. I've since retired my first one to a bathroom display and replaced it with another 109 and an 84.

My first DE razor was a Super Adjustable I got in the Navy in 1976. It, along with a Flare Tip, were my only DE razors until 2011. Wasn't until I had amassed a few more razors did I realized that my Black Beauty didn't shave that well. At some point in its long journey, I whacked it out of alignment. I've since retired my first one to a bathroom display and replaced it with another 109 and an 84.

ive yet tot ry out my flare tip, the one with the silver tip, think it might be the standard one, how does it compare to say the techs?

I find it more comfortable when compared to slim at the same setting. Long handle also is one of the advantage which makes me feel more easy to control.
yea not just that i think the black handle looks sick tbh

I believe the SH Gillette Super Adjustable razor arguably is the best of all the vintage Gillette adjustable's.

But only by a whisker. All the Gillette vintage adjustable's are outstanding IMO.
yea im ye to try the fatboy but yea amazing razors that even compete with the best modern ones

It says the letter W and the number 3 if I understand correctly it's 1976 of the last black beauty long handles to be made

Top Bottom