What's new

Gillette Addiction

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
It’s a deep hole. Just … 1641406205890.gif

Honestly, be patient and look at flea markets and antique stores. I have paid over $15 only once for a vintage Gillette and have a bunch of them. Mostly $5-10 each.

The BST here is good as well as most members are reasonable with their sell prices.

The Gillette rabbit hole is a deep hole. So many varieties of the same razor to collect (techs, flair tips and old types come to mind)

Here's the deal...I've been down that rabbit hole and came out the other side wondering "what was I doing?" Are these "Display" razors or am I actually going to use them? Are these great razors (for me) or am I just chasing a unicorn? These questions are for you only. At one point I had over 250 razors. A large number of them were vintage Gillettes and other brands as well. I am now down to 6 razors that I enjoy interchanging and shaving with on a daily rotation.
GOOD LUCK!

I say don't get caught up in bidding wars on the bay and enjoy the ride!

I dove head 1st into this rabbit hole in the beginning of 2015. My 1st vintage Gillette Superspeed was nice, but not worth anywhere near what I paid by the time the auction ended.🙃 It was the 1st time I ever bid in an auction. Lesson learned.

Anyway, I've slowed way down on razor acquisitions. I have managed to acquire most of the vintage Gillettes that I wanted and they are all shavers, no wall flowers.

Just have fun with it!

It depends on how serious you are. I consider myself a casual vintage razor collector, since my main goal is to hunt the remaining Gillette razors that i'm curious about and while I wouldn't mind owning a razor in great condition with a case, it heavily depends on the price and the same goes for the models that i'm not very interested in. Some people are hunting only the rarest razors they can get their hands on especially if they are in excellent or mint condition.

My long awaited package from the UK has finally arrive in my country and hopefully within a week it will be in my possession. It contains lots vintage Gillette razors that I always wanted to own and I have a feeling that my hunt for vintage razors (for the most part) will end very soon.

Enjoy the ride and make sure to do a good research on what exactly you want before buying it. That way you will have an idea of what to expect from the razor, its average value and what to look for when buying it in order to avoid getting a damaged razor. Mr-razor is a good place to start and you can always ask questions here if you're not sure or want to know more. The rest is up to you as well as how deep you're willing to go and what type of collector you want to be. Good luck!

I went down that rabbit hole, after shaving with electrics, injectors and carts for almost 35 years. I started with a '52 SS from another member in 2009, and soon had SS, Fat Boys and Slims from the '40s to '55. After regaining my sanity, almost all were sold or given to other family members.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I started out buying vintage razors which were mainly Gillette. Several years later I have kept my favourites and sold the rest. I have 14 vintage razors now; only two are Gillette, the others being Rotbart, Gibbs, Leresche, Hoffritz, Henckels, Eclipse, and 7o'clock. My two Gillettes are a Single Ring and a Goodwill and they are superb 😆

I started looking on eBay and at the time most weren’t being heavily bid on. If there were than three or four bids, I just stayed out. I started out looking for one that was date coded A - 1, thought it’d be cool to save one made in 1955. My latest addition was for my son, he just started wet shaving. He swiped my little razor that I dubbed Tiny Tim. It was made in England date stamp was U-4.

I saw a brand new King C Gillette, actually the guy had like 15 left and was asking $10.99 each with free shipping or best offer. So I shot him an offer $20 for two of them. He accepted, we got them in the mail today. Boxes were unopened factory sealed as far as I could tell.

I may try one out later tonight and my son is thrilled with his new razor.

Top Bottom