What's new

Gillette Aco Inox

I recently got two of these from Toothpick via the Blade Exchange here and just want to give my 2 cents on this interesting blade. I believe this particular blade was made in 1988 per the date code "I 2" and made in Manuas, Brazil as well as long discontinued. I will quantify this by stating that I have used a cornucopia of Gillette blades from decades gone by until now and from the USA, Russia, Brasil, Mexico, India & China. I knew what it was during the first shave as I was struck with memory recall and confirmed it in my mind on the 2nd shave: this shaves just like the vaunted discontinued Gillette "Swede" to my face. Exactly. I always thought the "Swede" was a fine blade, but not quite a brilliant blade as many have touted. Don't get me wrong, this is an excellent blade, but there are better being made today, e.g., Rubie, Platinum & several 7 O'Clock blades for that matter. I believe as well that the Brasilian "flagship" blade of that period (as well as in the USA) the Platinum Plus is a better blade and Gillette said as much.

Regardless, it is a great step back in time to use this fine blade as in 1988 it was a great value for what it provided. I can finally say I have used one. I still marvel at how Gillette can crank out a bottom rung blade like the Astra SP that is IMO a better blade than almost all blades of thirty years ago and for a mere pittance, i.e., circa. $10.00 for 100. We are truly spoiled.

Thanks, Toothpick. ;)

Top Bottom