What's new

Gillette 7 o'clocks - differences and preferences

Gillette 7 0'clocks:
From what I can see on the market (easily searched) there are:

Super Platinum - black pack
Sharp Edge Superior Premium Platinum - yellow pack
Permasharp Stainless - green pack

What are the differences in performance of these and those that have used all; any preference?

Yellows are the only ones I use very sharp. The Blacks we're too rough. The greens are nice, similar to an Astra.

For me the 7-O'Clock were the best, sharp and smoother than Feather blades. They lasted about 6 shaves easily.

Next up I liked the Green, and then the Yellow 7-O'Clock blades. They were very close, but I give a slight edge to the Green for smoothness.

There are two green packs perma sharp are from india, the green super stainless are from russia, the black packs are also from india. I reall like the yellows and blacks.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Super Platinum - black pack
Sharp Edge Superior Premium Platinum - yellow pack
Permasharp Stainless - green pack

What are the differences in performance of these and those that have used all; any preference?

I like Gillette Yellows. Extremely sharp and very smooth. Its the only blade that has let me shave first pass buffing ATG and not feel the blade at all, anywhere, at any point in the shave, which can also lead to blood loss if your technique is lacking lol.

I like Gillette Black too, but not as much. They can be harsh for me, but are a top pick in a more traditional 3 pass shave. They're quite sharp too, but not as sharp as the Yellow.

The Gillette Green is the smoothest blade I ever used in my NEW SC, but it lacked sharpness for me.

All of the 7 O'Clock series are smooth blades, I found the sharpness varied more than anything. The Gillette Black is a really nice blade if you get along with it.

With that said, the only ones I would personally buy are the Yellows. They dont last as long as Polsilver for me, but I have yet to find another blade to match it in smoothness and sharpness fresh out of the wrapper. Polsilver is equal to them at shave #4 for me.

The blacks are my preferred and the yellows my second favorite among the 7 o'clocks. The yellows are almost Feather blade sharp although not as smooth. Both green versions are nice, but I find the Russian version to last longer.

Last edited:
For me personally the best of the 7 O'clock blades are the Green Super Stainless and next the yellow SharpEdge

7oclocks1.jpg

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the 7 o'clock blades. I much prefer the blacks (Indian), but I'm quite happy with the Russian greens, and yellows. It's tough for me too compare them because I have so many different razors and blades. I don't think you'd regret any of the St. Petersburg blades though.

Reactions: ADP
I've never used the Russian made Super Platinum or Super Stainless, but the SharpEdge is one of my favourite blades, sharp enough for a close shave and smooth enough to be comfortable

I don't like Indian made Super Platinum because they always felt rough, but the Permasharp Stainless is also another of my favourite blades, they don't feel as sharp as Russian SharpEdge, but they're sharp enough to get the job done, I also find them very smooth and comfortable to use

Super Platinum (blue) - Russia - discontinued - rumor has it that this blade has been rebranded as Gillette Silver Blue
SharpEdge (yellow) - Russia - possible the sharpest of the bunch - smooths out considerably after one or two shaves
Super Stainless (green) - Russia - exceptionally smooth, very sharp
Super Platinum (black) - India - exceptionally smooth, exceptionally sharp, long lasting
PermaSharp (green) - India - I've never tried one

Big fan of the Yellows and Greens from Russia. Yellows are sharp and smooth and last a week. The green is less sharp but smooth and I can get three days from them. The greens are loaded with wax which is their drawback. I also like Perma Sharp and Astra SS (glued like a floor tile) which are very good too. Try them all. See which one you enjoy. Hope all this Russian BS and talks of embargoes does not stop us from getting these blades. Hey Gillette, why don't you sell and make some here. Nope.

I probably shouldn't even comment since I've used only a single 7'Oclock Yellow, but it basically reminded me of a GSB. Of course, I'd need more extended time with Yellows to conclude that, but that was my quick impression. For me, that is a great comparison as I really like GSB.

The d/c’d Blues are my faves, and probably are GSB now as @cw62803 mentioned. Black is next and just misses being one of my top blades but I’d be just fine with them if my beloved Russian blades were no longer available. I didn’t find the yellow to be anything better than average but some here love them.

I like the blacks and russian greens. Didn't care for yellow too much, but should try another. Have a tuck of russian blue's that I"ve not tried yet...

Reactions: ADP
Top Bottom