What's new

Gillette 7 oclock (Yellows)

Hi All,
I took up DE shaving about 3 months ago using mainly Derby blades in one of the following:
Merkur Futur
Merkur 38C
'58 Gillette FatBoy.

I had dabbled with a trial pack of Feathers. Yes they are sharper than the Derbys I had got used to but for some reason they weren't really me.
Recently I decided to try 2 other brands of blade..
Gillette 7 oclock (yellow) and Personna Platinum..
I had my first shave this morning with the Futur loaded with a 7 oclock.
Very, very smooth and for my skin noticably better than the derbys.
Minimal after burn and zero weeps or nicks to my skin. I had the Futur set on number 2 which is plenty for me.
I shall use the same blade / razor combo for a week to check longevity of the blade and then move onto the 38C for a week and last (but NOT least, the FatBoy)..

Once I have given the 7 oclocks a thorough testing in all three razors i will try out the Personna Platinums.

On a slightly different topic how do you all dispose of your old blades safely when there ISN'T a plastic used blade dispenser as with the derbys?
The 7 oclocks come in paper wraps and so I wondered whats the best method to dispose of safely.
Thanks in advance..

Hello Speedy,

Put the used blade back in the wrapper and then back in the box. When all blades have been used up tape the box shut and toss it in the trash.

Thanks,
Mike

...On a slightly different topic how do you all dispose of your old blades safely when there ISN'T a plastic used blade dispenser as with the derbys?
The 7 oclocks come in paper wraps and so I wondered whats the best method to dispose of safely.
Thanks in advance..

I didn't mind the 7'oclocks but I guess it wasn't for me, I just started with the Persona Platinums and I love them now, I've only tried a few types of blade, but I've had 4 FANTASTIC shaves with these, and they impressed me that much that I'm about to buy a bulk load soon after I use them a bit longer to see if the results are the same.

I look forward to your findings. I also use a 38C and Fatboy. Just received a pack of the yellow 7 O'Clocks but have not tried them. I have liked Derby's. Have not yet tried the Personnas. Looking to zero in on some true favorites and stock up

I purchased a blade bank to dispose of old blades. Cost $1.00; I imagine hundreds of blade can fit before I throw the whole thing away.

The 7 O'Clock yellows are my favourite blade. I find them to be very sharp but extremely smooth. I put the used ones into a vitamin tablet bottle that has a flip up lid. I don't know how many blades that bottle will hold because I haven't managed to fill it yet.

Robert

These days I put my used blades in an empty dental floss container with the guts removed. Luckily for me the brand of floss I use comes in a dispenser that is plenty big enough for about two million used blades. When the floss container is full, (which conveniently seems to happen about the time I use up another roll of floss), I duct tape the container closed and toss it in the trash.

Another option I tried is just using an empty shaving creme container/jar. In my case I just unscrewed it and dropped the blades in. If you want to make it somewhat tamper proof; cut a slot in it with a Dremel tool and glue the lid. While not as small as my floss container/blade bank, it does hold about 10 billion used blades and makes good use of those empty shaving creme jars that my brain tells me to keep for some unknown purpose.

Yellows are my best ever blade, so far.

I took an evaporated milk can that was empty, took a Demel and cut a slot in the top. I figure it has enough space in it that I'll use it until I'm pushing up daisies. Then the can and sealed in blades will be recycled.

Hi All,
On a slightly different topic how do you all dispose of your old blades safely when there ISN'T a plastic used blade dispenser as with the derbys?
Thanks in advance..

I would not put the blades in the regular trash for two reasons: 1.) They are recyclable. 2.) Blades in general trash can be dangerous to humans who handle it and the wildlife that congregate at landfill sites (birds, etc.).

I use a blade bank (available from the popular online vendors such as Lees Razors, to name one). It's made of steel as well and when it's full of used blades, I pinch it shut with pliers and put it out with other recyclables.

Thank you all very much for your great suggestions on safely disposing of used blades..
Some very ingenious ideas there.
Once again, thank you all.

Top Bottom