What's new

Gillette 7 o'clock yellow

I have fallen in love with "Gillette 7 o'clock yellow" because it fits perfectly with my Merkur Progress. The razor blade feels sharp and smooth for my skin type.
If I want to try other razor blades, which brand can be compared to Gillette 7 o'clock yellow. I have tried green but I think it's far away from a comfortable shave.

Now that I have found the perfect brand, there is really no reason to change but I will be prepared for other brands if yellow one day goes out of production.

I was lucky in that the 7 o'clock yellow was the 2nd blade I ever tried and it instantly became my number 1 blade.

I've tried a good many since then but they still remain top of the pile.

Of those I've tried I find the Rubie is the closest in performance and the Silver Blues are definitely worth a mention too.

Of those from different sources I quite liked the Personna Reds.

I was lucky in that the 7 o'clock yellow was the 2nd blade I ever tried and it instantly became my number 1 blade.

I've tried a good many since then but they still remain top of the pile.

Of those I've tried I find the Rubie is the closest in performance and the Silver Blues are definitely worth a mention too.

Of those from different sources I quite liked the Personna Reds.
Silver Blue and Wilkinson are the closest to yellow, but there are many I havn't tried.
Went for Bic chrome this weekend but it was catastrophic.

So many good blades to choose from, I just finished using a Shark Super Chrome in my Feather AS-D2. Seven great shaves, and I only changed because I have thousands of different blades. I just had to keep trying new ones while “learning” my beard!

I have tried about 40 brands of blades over the years. Based on my experience, the Gillette permasharp (beige package, Turkish market) and the Gillette Nacets are the closest to the yellows (I. E. Sharpedge). Derby Usta is up there too.

I just used one for the first time. Right after a Silver Blue, similar in a way, but better: sharper, smoother. Excellent blade, I was amazed by its smoothness given its sharpness. The GSBs get better with use (sharpen up, I suppose), this was great out of the box.

I am happy with the Gillette sharp edge, too. Because I have not so much experience with other blades yet, I do not know if there are better ones out there.
My other favorite is the german made Wilkinson Sword.
This is true for my Gillette Slim adj. (L3).

I just tried the Yellow in my "2nd to least aggressive" razor. The first shave was fine. The 2nd time it started to pull.

That all DE razor blades are sometimes unpredictable is becoming my general conclusion.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Most blades are pretty reasonably priced by the 100s. I’ve been on a buying spree for the last few weeks now just coming up for air with my (last) purchase of tiger platinum but looking at everything I bought I do think (sometimes) oh man what did I just do? 🤤

Top Bottom