What's new

Gillette 7 o'clock yellow

Most blades are pretty reasonably priced by the 100s. I’ve been on a buying spree for the last few weeks now just coming up for air with my (last) purchase of tiger platinum but looking at everything I bought I do think (sometimes) oh man what did I just do? 🤤
Don't worry. I've been on a blade buying spree for 15 years. Especially the last 7-8 months, when the window for us Europeans was closing for buying from outside the EU (Starting from July 1st everything has VAT added). Next week I am expecting a 100 card of Minora Stainless, and with it I think I am going to hit the 20000 mark. :letterk1:

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Don't worry. I've been on a blade buying spree for 15 years. Especially the last 7-8 months, when the window for us Europeans was closing for buying from outside the EU (Starting from July 1st everything has VAT added). Next week I am expecting a 100 card of Minora Stainless, and with it I think I am going to hit the 20000 mark. :letterk1:
Wow and fantastic!
I’m with like minded friends here!
By the way I’m eying the minora but probably would prefer the platinum which I can’t find easily available. Have you tried both versions yet?

Wow and fantastic!
I’m with like minded friends here!
By the way I’m eying the minora but probably would prefer the platinum which I can’t find easily available. Have you tried both versions yet?
The Minora Platinum is discontinued. Only the new Stainless model is available. I haven't tried the Platinum. @Multum in parvo has. IIRC he preferred the Platinum.

Great website!
Maybe a stupid question but is there any difference with the razor blades produced in different countries?
For example, Gillette Wilkinson sword which is produced in China and India
Yes, there is a difference. With Gillettes there has always been a difference if the same blade model is manufactured in different countries.
The Chinese Gillette Wilkinson are sharper than the Indian made.

Yes, there is a difference. With Gillettes there has always been a difference if the same blade model is manufactured in different countries.
Thanks, then I will order samples from both countries. Should also be exciting to try 7 o'clock black. It's a lot more expensive... don't know why.

2 types of 7 o'clock green blades:
7 o'clock Super Stainless, made in Russia
7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless, made in India
The artwork is the same, only wording is different. And the blades are quite different.
The ones i've got are made in Russia.Any idea what the difference is?

The Russian ones aren't as sharp as the Sharpedge. 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless is more or less the same sharpness as Sharpedge.

I have not tried the Yellow yet, it's in the list though. I get plenty of shaves per blade, so it's a long process to find out how each one works.

One thing I have noticed is that there is enough variation in blade width that an adjustable razor is very, very handy. I found Polsilvers unusable at first, and tried about four different razors before I put one in a Fatboy and experimented. Turns out they are wonderful with the razor on 7 or 8, anything less than that I can't remove stubble.

On the other hand, I just started a Lord Platinum today, and had to crank down to 3 before it stopped removing skin, so it must be marginally wider. I can't imagine it is just sharper.

If you don't have an adjustable razor, you have to try blades in a variety, or find a blade that fits your razors properly in terms of exposure and gap.

It is nice when you find one that works well though -- for me so far that's 7 O'Clock Black, Personna Lab Blue, Gillette Silver Blue, Polsilvers SI, and German Wilkinsons. Others are not as good to terrible, I managed 43 shaves with a Derby in my scary Bakelite German slant, and will never use one again. I'll grow a full beard first, white hair be damned!

I ordered Wilkinson samples from both China and India but it is difficult to know which country the razor blades belong to?

I ordered Wilkinson samples from both China and India but it is difficult to know which country the razor blades belong to?
There is a recent thread with photos of both Wilkinsons (only the blades in their wrappers).

The best way probably is to look at the numbers on the wrappers. They are visible on the photos in that thread.

Last edited:
The best way probably is to look at the numbers on the wrappers. They are visible on the photos in that thread.
Thanks mate💈Then I found out where they belonged by looking at the numbers 🤩 My next shave will be with Wilkinson Sword, made in China.
Today I tested 7 o'clock black. It was a comfortable shave, close to Yellow

Last edited:
Thanks mate💈Then I found out where they belonged by looking at the numbers 🤩 My next shave will be with Wilkinson Sword, made in China.
Today I tested 7 o'clock black. It was a comfortable shave, close to Yellow
You are welcome.
Another sign to distinguish between the two is usually the ones made in India have the steel with a bit of brownish tint (often partly), whereas the Chinese ones have the clear chrome colour steel.
As far as I know the Chinese ones were manufactured for a few years only for the Indian market. My information is they are discontinued and currently in India only the Indian made Wilkinsons are sold.

Top Bottom