What's new

Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum aka Black ninjas

Iridium is a element used to support the edge of blade and is a very hard element
I never remember actually reading on the Wizamet web site, that there is any actual iridium either in or on the blade.

From the WizaShave web site.

"Wizamet Super Iridium DE Blades offer the highest quality, premium platinum coated double edge razor blades so you can have the closest possible shave without skin irritation."

I think that iridium is only a name. Many products call themselves names like gold or titanium.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I never remember actually reading on the Wizamet web site, that there is any actual iridium either in or on the blade.

"Wizamet Super Iridium DE Blades offer the highest quality, premium platinum coated double edge razor blades so you can have the closest possible shave without skin irritation."

I think that iridium is only a name. Many products call themselves names like gold or titanium.
I believe it is a coating that is sputtered on to the blade and sintered is my understanding. I'm sure there are other additives added to the coating because the cost of iridium is very high presently. Most blades are coated but they do not mention amounts or percentage that is sputtered on the edge of blade to strengthen it.

I did 12 shaves with a SI and it's still better than any other blade.

I'm sure there are other additives added to the coating because the cost of iridium is very high presently.

Iridium has always been costly, due to it's extreme rarity.

But, even platinum does not always refer to platinum as such, sometimes it is referring to one of the platinum group metals.

"The six platinum-group metals are ruthenium, rhodium, palladium, osmium, iridium, and platinum."

Which includes iridium and others. Maybe we could just as easily refer to it as the iridium group metals?

Nowhere, have I recalled reading from a manufacturer's web site, that any razor blade actually contained iridium.

Not saying that a particular brand of razor blades does not, only that I have yet to read that they actually do. This refers to the Polsilver as well.

While a blade may also claim to be platinum coated, which no doubt many are, as you say, there may be other matels that are part of the sputtering process for purposes of controlling manufacturing costs.

Razor blade manufacturers don't tell us the make-up of their stainless steel, do they? In fact, razor blade manufacturers tell us very little about specifics. Quite the opposite, they are very nebulous about providing any actual information about their products.

Perhaps a few atoms of iridium sputtered in the mix?
I did 12 shaves with a SI and it's still better than any other blade.

Definitely not questioning the quality of the blades, I use them myself, only if they actually are coated with iridium.

If I was a razor blade manufacturer and I spent the money to coat razor blades with real iridium, I would be mentioning this prominently in my advertising.

Top Bottom