What's new

Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum aka Black ninjas

I ordered a massive $45 sampler from tryablade.com

Out of all, I found myself constantly comparing every blade to these Gilette Black 7 o'clock blades. Made in India apparently under the license and supervision of P&G.

I want to inquire if others observed the following:

1) Sharpness 9/10 (Perfect 10 is Feather)
2) They make a high pitch cutting noise that is so distinct. Unlike any other blade I've tried.
3) Cutting efficiency 10/10. They cut and then some.
4) Smoothness 10/10. I have zero burn after shaving a 5 o'clock shadow. No shower, nothing. Straight to the sink after coming home and stick some cold lather and use some ninja blades to freshen up the evening. BUTTERY SMOOTH.
5) Longevity seems easily 5+ shaves.
6) Double wrapped to prevent any kind of oxidation.
7) Printing looks excellent and sharp. Not that it matters, but they made sure it is not sloppy.

Overall, ranks No. 1 for me. They feel so damn good to cut with. Like a precision tool that provides feedback. Extremely loud.

If you have not tried these blades, don't let "Made in India" fool you. These blades are IMO the best so far. The only ones I've not tried are Polsilvers (discontinued) or Wizamets.

Curious if there are any fans of this blade here?

I used Rockwell 6S razor with #4 head.

1656124711807.png

The Gilllette Super Platinum are made in India under contract manufacturing. It's a way to optimize manufacturing and distribution costs.

The 5+2 package you've got is a very old pack, when these blades were much cheaper.

The latest blades come in a 10 pack and cost around $14 for a 100 locally

They are an excellent blade. Haven't noticed that peculiar cutting noise. Maybe I'll observe it next time I use it which razor are you using?

I am a big fan of made in India blades and this is top 1.

Not far from these are the Gillette Winner Platinum. I can't proof this but some say are the same blade.

Second are Wilkinson Sword, either made in India or China for Indian Market.

Then there are the Gillette Permasharp indian greens. So good and inexpensive I probably hoarded 1000 or more of these.

Then other brands like supermax (Super stainless or Platinum plus), zorrik super Platinum and Zorrik supreme Chromium.

New brands like RK (owned by a member of supermax family) in special the Chromium coated variety.

Statum Platinum edge also surprised my in a positive way.

The Gilllette Super Platinum are made in India under contract manufacturing. It's a way to optimize manufacturing and distribution costs.

The 5+2 package you've got is a very old pack, when these blades were much cheaper.

They are an excellent blade. Haven't noticed that peculiar cutting noise. Maybe I'll observe it next time I use it which razor are you using?
I should have mentioned, my bad. I grabbed the pic from Google, not my photo. I got 5 pieces loose (without box) from tryablade.com Placed an order for a wholesale 100 pack from ebay just now: 100 Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Double Edge Premium Safety Razor Blades | eBay - https://www.ebay.com/itm/172350232490

I am using Rockwell 6S. Btw, I am also of Indian origin (born in India). As usual, I don't trust Indian manufacturing, but things are getting better. The blade certainly doesn't lie!

Regarding noise: It is so distinct! Very different as I try blades back to back while my face is drying up. It is extremely noticeable and hard to miss. Perhaps try: Feather vs. G7oB or try Astra vs. G7oB. The noise feels like the blade is thinner and more resonant than others. Cutting feel is also quite unique, it "bites" so good.

Yes I notes a BIG LEAP in price of these black pack blades last years.

Luckily I stored some hundreds of these black platinums when they are about US$ 32 each 280 shipped.

Yes I notes a BIG LEAP in price of these black pack blades last years.

Luckily I stored some hundreds of these black platinums when they are about US$ 32 each 280 shipped.

I'm curious about costs. I don't find any of this particularly expensive in grand scheme of things. I could throw away these blades after a single use and they'd still last me 3 months. $10/month for shaving seems very reasonable for US standard of living. That's less than 2 cups of coffee where I live.

7 O’Clock Black are one of my absolute favourite blades. Maybe in my top 3 and definitely in the top 5.

I’m a big fan of pretty much any blade from the PPI factory, and I thought for a long time that these were also made there. I was shocked when I found out they were made in India and not Russia.

I never noticed a different noise though, and now I’m really curious about it. I haven’t shaved with a DE in about 6 weeks, but I’ll be using one next month on our family vacation. I’m definitely going to pack a 7 O’clock Black.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Yeah, the Gillette 7 O'clock Super Platinum blades are excellent. Bought 100 a while back and still have plenty.

I'm curious about costs. I don't find any of this particularly expensive in grand scheme of things. I could throw away these blades after a single use and they'd still last me 3 months. $10/month for shaving seems very reasonable for US standard of living. That's less than 2 cups of coffee where I live.
Compared to other blades in its league like Russian blades made by Gillette.

Complaints about the cost are mainly based on a sudden jump in price which seemed unjustified. Formerly, the exact same 100 or 120 pack of blades cost around $15. Second, there are comparable blades available for much less money; on average blade prices have been coming down. It's true that is not a lot of money in the overall scheme of things, so whatever makes you happy.

I believe the " cutting noise " depends on the structure of the razor itself , not the blade.

Complaints about the cost are mainly based on a sudden jump in price which seemed unjustified. Formerly, the exact same 100 or 120 pack of blades cost around $15. Second, there are comparable blades available for much less money; on average blade prices have been coming down. It's true that is not a lot of money in the overall scheme of things, so whatever makes you happy.
Herein lies the problem. Prices shot up to almost double in January 2021.

Roughly $8 to $14 for a 100 locally in India.

I believe this is their impatience and frustration to improve their market share of multi blade cartridge razors.

The guard was publicized as designed by research on how Indian men shave flopped miserably as no one shaves like those ads. They are now positioning the Gillette guard with 2 and 3 blades as the alternate to DE blades by inflating the prices or their popular DE brands to be almost equal to guard cartridge prices hoping this will move India to cartridges even if the cheaper guard ones.

20220625_224104.jpg

Last edited:

I believe this is their impatience and frustration to improve their market share of multi blade cartridge razors.

The guard was publicized as designed by research on how Indian men shave flopped miserably as no one shaves like those ads. They are now positioning the Gillette guard with 2 and 3 blades as the alternate to DE blades by inflating the prices or their popular DE brands to be almost equal to guard cartridge prices hoping this will move India to cartridges even if the cheaper guard ones.

View attachment 1478135

Not a smart move, with a lot of other brands of blades that are inexpensive and shave very well. I just got some packs from ebay India with Zorrik Supreme, Statum Platinum and RK Chromium blades. Not Gillette Super Platinum level but very impressive anyway.

To confirm again, I tried these 4 back-to-back in the same shaving session:

Gilette Silver Blues
Gilette 7 o'clock Blacks
Astra SP
Gilette 7 o'clock Yellows

I'd say Astra SP is the closest match to G7oB. May be because they're both Platinum coated?

View attachment 1478135

That's a poor strategy once Indian populace figures out to import blades from the rest of the world. It is further reinforced by the fact that once you try DE shaving, there is no going back. Only forward to straight razor lol

To confirm again, I tried these 4 back-to-back in the same shaving session:

Gilette Silver Blues
Gilette 7 o'clock Blacks
Astra SP
Gilette 7 o'clock Yellows

I'd say Astra SP is the closest match to G7oB. May be because they're both Platinum coated?
No offence intended, but if those two blades seem similar to you then you don't have a particularly tough beard. They are on opposite ends of the sharpness spectrum, based on actual testing. If the Blacks don't cause you any more irritation than the ASPs, then that says a lot about the quality of them! The one similarity that I know of is that they both have a small micro bevel under magnification, similar to Personna Plats. This can reduce the feeling of harshness without reducing the cutting ability significantly. Platinum is used to harden the edge and make it last longer after the polymer coating flakes off.

Top Bottom