What's new

Gillette 7 O'Clock Sterling Razor

I have several friends and co-workers that are fascinated with the idea of DE shaving. I was thinking maybe I could put together a starter kit for a few of them to see if they like it. I certainly don't have a lot of money and these guys are turned off by vintage (used) stuff. I was thinking about the VDH soap, brush, bowl kit and an inexpensive razor.

I can't link to live auctions but there is a razor on eBay called the Gillette 7 O'clock Sterling. It looks like a traditional 3 piece design with a plastic handle. Don't confuse it with the 7 O Clock Super Platinum which is a different design. The Sterling is about $8 bucks shipped. Does anyone have any first hand experience with these?

I know a vintage Tech is probably the way to go but I know these guys won't use it unless its brand new.

Any input on the 7 O'clock Sterling is appreciated.

Last edited:
Another good, cheap, razor which I've tried myself is the Lord Smart.

About the Gillette 7 O'clock, I don't like to comment on one I haven't tried, but the Shave Den forums had a review of it in their reviews section. Got pretty good comments for a $5 razor. They also sell it in their store, but their shipping might be too high unless you order several.

Thanks for the comments. I actually have a Feather Portable I bought from Paul. I do like it. I was thinking about the Gillette only because it has a longer handle that cartridge guys seem to like. I know the first time I held the Feather (my first DE) I thought it was a bit small. Now, my 1904 is my main razor so I'm used to it.

The Gillette Seven O'Clock Sterling, if I had to make an educated guess is manufactured by Lord of Egypt for Gillette.

The head looks very much like Lord's tech head, and the plastic handle very much like the handle on the Lord Smart referenced above.

Having a plastic handle, the razor will be fairly head heavy, but should otherwise be a good shaver.

The head on this is patterned after the late model (1970's) Gillette Tech Head which lacked any center position tabs, relying instead on the four corner tabs to keep the blade properly positioned, and with equal blade exposure.

I have owned the Lord Tech (but with the metal handle) and it was a great shaver, and performed well above it's $6 price point.

Take a look at the various products Lord of Egypt makes here:

http://www.razorslord.com/Brands/

I think the Feather portable is a great value. As mentioned above, the tech is very mild, the Feather I think is just right, but YMMV. I use a feather portable when I travel.

The Gillette sterling is current production of Gillette India. I know there is a Chinese version of this razor by Gillette as well.

Most are right in that it is a "cheap" knock off of a later version Tech. However the head is pretty light weight, especially if you compare with the tech or for the feather portable for that matter.

It shaves a bit aggressive than a tech but less aggressive than an HD. I get these for around 3-4$ locally. I had posted a review on this on the shave den with photographs here.

If you are looking for a few,PM me, we can work out shipping from India for several pieces.

However, I have recently purchased a feather portable from Pauldog and its an awesome albeit an aggressive shaver. I am not sure if a portable would be a good starter razor to initiate newbies to DE shaving, however as they say built like a tank, solid weighty and precision engineered to last several life times !!

Beyboo,

Thank you so much for the information. I took the plunge and ordered one via eBay prior to seeing your post. For $8 bucks I wanted to check it out myself prior to handing them out to friends. If I decide to buy some more I may take you up on your offer.

In the photos you linked to you have the 7 O'clock Sterling next to a similar razor that is a TTO design. What is that razor and is it in current production?

Bob

Last edited:
In the photos you linked to you have the 7 O'clock Sterling next to a similar razor that is a TTO design. What is that razor and is it in current production?

Bob

That razor looks like a Gillette G1000 to me, one of the last TTO's that Gillette made. It's basically a Gillette Knack, but with much cheaper construction.

proxy.php

That razor looks like a Gillette G1000 to me, one of the last TTO's that Gillette made. It's basically a Gillette Knack, but with much cheaper construction.

Bang on target. I put it side to side compare the origins of the design of the sterling razor. I read up there that the sterling was a Lords rip off which apparently isn't the case. I was gifted a used G1000 by someone elder I knew who used it around 20 years ago and brought it out of the closet when he saw my new collection.

While the Merkurs and EDJ's and few others hold their own, the mother design for most cheaper DE razors seems to be the later day Gillette tech. seems to be the case for most economy razors market, Lords, Sterlings, and many more included...

Beyboo,

Thank you so much for the information. I took the plunge and ordered one via eBay prior to seeing your post. For $8 bucks I wanted to check it out myself prior to handing them out to friends. If I decide to buy some more I may take you up on your offer.

Bob

Do let us know here how you find it. My review is also posted in the Pics page as a link in the other site...

Last edited:
I read up there that the sterling was a Lords rip off which apparently isn't the case..

I was the one who said the Gillette Sterling was probably made for them by Lord. The handle on the Sterling is very similar (if not identical) to the handle Lord uses on a Lord Smart. Based upon pictures I have saw, the head of the razor looks nearly identical to the head found on the Lord Techs (minus the Lord logo of course. :001_tt2:) The Lord Tech is nearly an exact duplicate of the late model 1970's Tech.

It makes sense to me, that Gillette would approach an well known existing razor manufacturer to make their razor, rather than re-inventing the wheel. I have no proof to back up this theory beyond observations I have made about their similar construction. Others have reached the same conclusion in the past.

The true origins of the Gillette Sterling may forever remain a mystery. :001_smile

Well I received my Gillette 7 O Clock Sterling yesterday. I was in a tremendous hurry but I wanted to try it out. I loaded the blade that came in the package, spread some Barbasol on my face and proceeded to get a decent shave.

It is certainly not corksniffer approved and it feels cheap next my Merkurs but it did a more than adequate job.

I'm still on the fence about getting these as a starter razor for friends.

Well I received my Gillette 7 O Clock Sterling yesterday. I was in a tremendous hurry but I wanted to try it out. I loaded the blade that came in the package, spread some Barbasol on my face and proceeded to get a decent shave.

It is certainly not corksniffer approved and it feels cheap next my Merkurs but it did a more than adequate job.

I'm still on the fence about getting these as a starter razor for friends.

Perhaps, I would advice not to. I use these strictly for travel so that if I loose them, what the heck.

A solid all metal vintage tech or super speed would be a better option for starting off. The appeal of a vintage solid, heavy duty shiny razor with the intricate craftsmanship would add to the appeal, rather than a light, cheaply constructed, plastic razor !

Not sure if the OP is still interested in putting together a starter razor kit for friends, but there are a couple of options floating around right now that might work well.

First, BedBathBodyNet.com currently has all their Parker razors on sale for $10. Shipping is $5.45 for up to 6 and free for 7 or more (or any order over $65). Just don't buy all the 96R and 52 models because I plan on picking up one of each soon.

Second, an eBay seller named kelrog0_1 is selling some $8 and $10 all metal Gillette clones. Others more knowledgeable could probably weigh in on which exact models they mimic. No blades included, but if you have a deep closet you can probably find something to include or, worst case, buy a bulk pack of Derby Extras from Amazon.

My friend had 303 Grade Stainless Steel handles of 11cm X 1 cm made for this razor and gifted me one. This is a little longer than the original handle.
It provides much needed heft and transforms a reasonably decent razor into a fairly good one.
By really tightening the handle the blade gap can be reduced a little beyond what the plastic-aluminium handle managed. I would highly recommend using a heavier handle with this razor. The thread being standard, any handle from an old razor would do.
$IMAG0066.jpg$IMAG0065.jpg

That head is definitely a Tech razor design of 1961+ vintage, but with a plastic handle. It's eerily similar to a 60's+ Tech with a Knack handle.

Fast forward 6 years.

The same Tech head design razor is available today as a Chinese knockoff. They sell for under $2 on E-bay. Got a couple just for laughs & the actual performance rivals that of any of my actual metal-handled vintage Techs.
Of course, this isn't for those sensitive sorts who complain about balance, or can't adjust to a head-heavy razor. If you're an experienced shaver, and have a myriad of razors you rotate thru, than you will have the developed feel and adaptable technique it takes to shave with one of these little budget beauties without whining and complaining that you don't have what it takes to make it work. I've compared one to an Old style, to a 40's Tech, a Semi Slant, and even to a Baili & it gives the same smooth irritation-free shave the others do. It definitely gives my Super Speeds, Super Adjustable and even the Knacks a run for their money.

If you're easily embarrassed or ego bruised at the thought of using a "cheap" razor, this isn't for you. If you're results oriented, and want a travel razor that won't break the bank when you lose your luggage, here's the razor for you.

I currently use the head of the Stirling coupled with a HTGAM chromed brass handle. The combination solves the issue of the head being heavy & gives much needed weight.

The Gillette Seven O'Clock Sterling, if I had to make an educated guess is manufactured by Lord of Egypt for Gillette.

The head looks very much like Lord's tech head, and the plastic handle very much like the handle on the Lord Smart referenced above.

Having a plastic handle, the razor will be fairly head heavy, but should otherwise be a good shaver.

The head on this is patterned after the late model (1970's) Gillette Tech Head which lacked any center position tabs, relying instead on the four corner tabs to keep the blade properly positioned, and with equal blade exposure.

I have owned the Lord Tech (but with the metal handle) and it was a great shaver, and performed well above it's $6 price point.

Take a look at the various products Lord of Egypt makes here:

http://www.razorslord.com/Brands/
The Sterling is made by P&G in India. Not by Lord. I have a few 14 year old as well as a new one made recently. The head is like a 70s Tech except with a slightly increased exposure.
It is Lord who copied the handle from the 3 piece Gillettes that were started in the 90s for Russia and third world countries (Rubie, Sterling and Super Blue). As has been shown in a post above the design is like the G1000 TTO, except it is not a TTO.

Last edited:
Top Bottom