What's new

Gillette - 7 O'Clock SharpEdge (Yellow Pack)

One of my favorites (along with SI, Voskhod, Viking Sword). Throw in an affordable blade like Astra SP and I could be happy with this group.

I can't figure this blade out...
I too like the Yellows very much and place them just below Feather, in terms of sharpness, but smoother. It is one of my favourites and other posters described them very well.
It is very possible that you have some damaged blades or just a bad batch, if there is such thing. I have seen blades damaged in transit and wouldn't be surprised if this was your case. Yellows come in a cardboard tuck with very little protection. If one would order the blades together with other items and if the vendor did not pack items carefully, there is a good chance the blades will arrive damaged. Sometimes you can see it with naked eye, sometimes you need some magnification.

Anyway, don't give up on them, and if you do... no worries, plenty of good choices out there.

Its interesting that some say its sharper than a Derby. I had to dial down my Derby to 4 on Fatboy or Slim. I found that a Feather, Derby or Astra could do in 1 stroke what a Gillette would do in 2. I know in 1 stroke, my face would feel shaved but would feel stubble in the afternoon. Normally a shave, does me till evening. I think all the Gillette Ive tried are solid performers. I think Ill be buying more!

I just used a yellow in my slant 37c tonight I had previously written these off in my 34 had and even my r41 so I never used them again till now and what a great blade in the slant Normally I use feathers , polsilvers and volshods

I used one of these for the first time this morning and expected to love it based on other reviews & comments I've seen. The shave was extremely smooth, but I didn't find the blade to be particularly sharp. I don't think my shave is nearly as close as with some others I've used. That said, I had no irritation, and felt no sting when I rubbed the alum block on my face then splashed some Fine American Blend on.

I used a Fatboy F2 set on 7 at the beginning of the shave and 3 by the end of the third pass (my typical practice), and Arko Adventure cream (my first time using this soap) lathered in a scuttle.

The shave wasn't bad at all - just not quite as close as I'd have liked.

I'll keep trying with the yellows - I have a couple of 5-packs - but right now I'd still stick to my Feathers and Astras (my favorites for sharpness & smoothness respectively).

I find them very sharp, but lacking smoothness for me. Gave me nicks and irritation on my neck so far. Maybe they will calm down after another shave. Will need to try them in a few different razors as well to compare. Strangely I find the Gillette Minora Platinum that's also made in St. Petersburg to be just as sharp, but much smoother for me.

They are sharp to me. I like these blades a lot. Pretty smooth, sharp and cheap (although most blades are cheap).

These are GOOD blades.
I enjoy their sharpness, especially in a mild razor.
I took a mild late 40s Superspeed loaded with one on a trip recently. And used just Barbasol cream to save time. Got some of my closest most comfortable shaves. I still have the blade that’s been put aside. Still planning on using it again!

The Gillette 7 O'Clock yellows are my favorite blade also. They are very sharp and smooth. They feel good even in an aggressive razor. Anyone who hasn't tried one needs to do so. You won't be sorry.

I have a fair number of these blades. They are decent blades. Sharp and but not as smooth as others. I find they can go the distance. Generally, I am happy with anything that will give me a good shave, is comfortable and clocks in at around 2-4 cents per shave. These fit that bill nicely.

How do the yellows compare to perma-sharp?

I like the "Turkish" perma-sharps a bit more. I find them a little smoother. They may very well be the same blade as they are very close in shave.

Not the same blade. The Perma-Sharp Super (gold package) are my go to blade, they give the closest and smoothest shave for me of any blade and never have to worry about irritation, weepers or cuts. I’ve used a couple tucks of them. I’ve used a full tuck, 5 blades, of the 7 o’clock Sharpedge (yellow). They give me a close shave but not smooth. Every shave with them I end up with irritation and weepers.

My other go to blades that shave slightly less but close to the Perma-Sharp Super are GSB, Rubie and 7 O’clock Super Stainless (green).

My first try of the yellow 7 o'clocks wasn't a succes. In my Muhle rytmo they just didn't work.
Next try will be in the R41, let's hope this works better.

When I switched to DE from carts my first blades were the ones that came with my razor and were not great performers to me.
Following advice here I tried a blade sampler and the first one out was the 7 o'clock yellow.
Since then I have not looked back and they have become my favourite blade.
They're not always the smoothest on first use, but smooth out nicely on subsequent uses, but they are the sharpest I have tried, including feathers.

Top Bottom