What's new

Gillette 7 O'clock / Personna Reds YIKES!!!

Hi - I wanted to ask if my experience is the same as others or if I over reacted.

I did not shave in the AM as normal. So I get in and shower, scrub my face and pull out a new Personna Red - I was a bit suspicious when the paper wrapping the blade was stuck and I had to "carefully" remove it prior to put it in my razor. Got a nice lather going and started with my normal N2S pass. It felt like I was getting a very rough shave, but I thought well it's just a bit more growth than normal. So I went to the other side of my face and I had the same result.

Not really enjoying the shave I think - well let's try another blade. I put in a Gillette 7 O'Clock and make my 1st pass under the jaw line. It did not feel too bad, so more lather and I make a S2N pass using the Gillette. Well, to make a long story short I cleaned up and pulled out the styptic for a couple of nick under my chin.

I have been using Feathers and not having any problems - no nick, cuts, weepers. All in all a DFS and close to a BBS.

So - when trying new blades is this the normal experience of others? At this point I am ready to toss the packs I purchased to try out, and order a lifetime supply of Feathers.

Thanks for any input!

Not all blades work for all folks. The Red Pack IP's work for me though. The Yellow 7 O'Clocks will work well also, just need to get more shaves with them. If you have a blade that works for you, there shouldn't be much of a need, beyond curiosity, to try something else.

Hi - I wanted to ask if my experience is the same as others or if I over reacted.

I did not shave in the AM as normal. So I get in and shower, scrub my face and pull out a new Personna Red - I was a bit suspicious when the paper wrapping the blade was stuck and I had to "carefully" remove it prior to put it in my razor. Got a nice lather going and started with my normal N2S pass. It felt like I was getting a very rough shave, but I thought well it's just a bit more growth than normal. So I went to the other side of my face and I had the same result.

Not really enjoying the shave I think - well let's try another blade. I put in a Gillette 7 O'Clock and make my 1st pass under the jaw line. It did not feel too bad, so more lather and I make a S2N pass using the Gillette. Well, to make a long story short I cleaned up and pulled out the styptic for a couple of nick under my chin.

I have been using Feathers and not having any problems - no nick, cuts, weepers. All in all a DFS and close to a BBS.

So - when trying new blades is this the normal experience of others? At this point I am ready to toss the packs I purchased to try out, and order a lifetime supply of Feathers.

Thanks for any input!

I am a feather fan also....I have one question please. If you did all of that in the shower you are my hero..... switch blades peel off paper and shave away...Your a better man than me my friend...:smile: and i shave in the shower now and then but i am not in your class...your a major leaguer and i am still in double AA ball....:wink:

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Not all blades work for all folks. The Red Pack IP's work for me though. The Yellow 7 O'Clocks will work well also, just need to get more shaves with them. If you have a blade that works for you, there shouldn't be much of a need, beyond curiosity, to try something else.

+1

I usually try the whole pack before I decide if they are good or not. The only exception was Shogun, I was able to do 2 blades only...

I am a feather fan also....I have one question please. If you did all of that in the shower you are my hero..... switch blades peel off paper and shave away...Your a better man than me my friend...:smile: and i shave in the shower now and then but i am not in your class...your a major leaguer and i am still in double AA ball....:wink:

Ah no - I was not in the shower at the time. Perhaps next time :biggrin:

Ok - my face was getting killed and I thought I would try something different. 1st I used some cade shaving oil, then Kiss my Face Lime, Aristocrat with a Feather blade.

Under my chin was getting raw so something had to give.

Did a N2S - no pull or drag S2N same - everything felt really good.

So push it a bit - got the rich stuff from the brush and put it on the tips of my left hand and put it on some of the not so smooth parts of my face (neck and jaw line) - and thought I would try j-hooking again. Fantastic - as near a BBS as I have ever had.

I think I am going to order 100 or 200 Feather blades and just be done with trying out other blades. Those things are sharp, don't drag on my face, and I don't seem to get any razor burn.

I followed up with an Alum Block and not any sting - so I must have been doing things right - with the right stuff.

So for me I think the blade stuff is sorted and now it's just razor, brush, cream, soap, aftershave AD's until I get that worked out :)

To each his own. No one blade is the right answer for all people in all razors. I find that the Feathers irritate my face and the RPIP's and yellow 7 O'Clocks do not, but the Derbys work best for me overall. They also each act a little differently in different razors.

If you have found that the Feather is the one true blade for you, then that is what you should use.

Well, yes... YMMV. My experience with the yellow 7 O'clock was bad. Surprisingly, my experience with Astra was very good. Coming from the same factory I'd expect them to be very similar.
And the red Personna is my favorite blade, as it is forgiving and sharp enough.

another +1 for the Astra blades .

Also if blade X is cutting you up , it might be your lather you built "that day" not protecting your face properly . Or a possible ingrown , pimple and or skin growth coming through . Some blades are not coated like the Astra's are . Meaning that the uncoated blades might not float smoothly across your beard as well . Resulting in possibly more cuts . Or the beard might of lacked proper hydration that day ?? And maybe blade X is more aggressive in your razor due to machining tolerences on the razor itself ??? Sumation - maybe some blades need a different facial prep . Possibly heavier viscosity to your lather ect.... While coated blades being smoother on the skin don't cut your face up ??

cityjim

Last edited:
The only noticable "bad blade" experience I've had was with a RPIP. They're usually very consistent, smooth and close shavers for me. Well, one day, I loaded in a new one and it was clear that I got a bum blade. I finished out the shave - just OK, a little rough - and put a new RPIP in the next day and I was happy again.

So, I learned that you need to try at least two blades of a brand before judging it.

That is Risky Business...a slip, a feather falling...ouch!:crying:

Top Bottom