What's new

Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless

Any chance you'd try these soon to compare? I'd be fascinated to hear your thoughts. I haven't done a careful side-by-side, but I can't tell the difference between these and Nacets.

proxy.php

Any chance you'd try these soon to compare? I'd be fascinated to hear your thoughts. I haven't done a careful side-by-side, but I can't tell the difference between these and Nacets.

proxy.php
I will give my thoughts :)
I have these worked better in my Wolfman than they do in my Timeless :)
wolfs were .95 and 1.15 so just going to think maybe its that more aggressive razor do better for me my face with this blade ?
In my timeless .68 Ti they are a solid step behind the nacet in comfort and the sharpness
in the Wolfman yeah they were great so good I bought 200 of them and since sold my wolf but might buy one again but will be mellow Ti model :)
they are still good blades just not the top of my top at this point

Todays shave again Green 7 vs the Nacet
and the Green 7 was clearly sharper feeling by a easy to tell amount ! (And was on my easy side)

the post feel between the two again so close its hard to say but for the comfort during the shave of the green 7 being so much nicer I was kinda shocked it was not a touch more comfy in post ? Not sure what to make of that b

They are my top blades so the shaves are amazing smooth and good and only being picky when comparing them side by side ! So again I would be happy with either and the fact they keep going back and forth kinda shows how close for me they are :)

Just to let you know. The Sharpedge experiment is over. The old double wrapped yellows are indeed sharper than the new post- 2017 ones. Today's shave with same brush, razor and cream was completely different. I will post a separate thread with pictures so the users would know. In a few threads I posted that the Sharpedge is a very sharp blade and then a couple of members say they are not.
More importantly I will need to compare all PPI blades in the next months. Old double wrapped vs the new that say ©2017

New Permasharp, used both edges

There is definitely something different about these blades as I noticed a couple things right after using a Nacet for four shaves. For one, the blade has less spring to it. Two, I think they might be thinner as the markings on my handle have moved slightly. I loosened and re-tightened the handle a few times as both of these things felt wrong.

At least on the first shave, I think they are at least as sharp as a Nacet, but they are still lacking efficiency. I noticed it before and noticed again, going ATG these things struggle some. The shave feels good, similar to, but not as good as a Nacet. Most of my face is as smooth, including some tough areas that I worked on, but much of my neck that needs that ATG work is very lightly crunchy. I also took the top off of a bump on my neck which I am blaming on the blade as I wasn't doing anything that I didn't do with the Nacet. I think this was because even during the shave, I could tell I wasn't getting there on my neck. I will put some Bump Patrol on in a little bit out of caution. It's possible that the coating is to blame for the resistance as I previously used the same edge for the whole shave and that may have worked better. Not bad, but I need to do two more shaves.

That's disappointing Ivan that the Sharpedges didn't live up to expectations, but I am glad you are willing to admit it. I find the PPI blades a huge mixed bag and I know you have always liked most of their blades. The current EU light blue box Platinums that I have are ridiculously sharp for me so you might like those. I just wish I could have more 2016 Polsilver SIs because the Wizamets aren't doing it for me.

That's disappointing Ivan that the Sharpedges didn't live up to expectations, but I am glad you are willing to admit it. I find the PPI blades a huge mixed bag and I know you have always liked most of their blades. The current EU light blue box Platinums that I have are ridiculously sharp for me so you might like those. I just wish I could have more 2016 Polsilver SIs because the Wizamets aren't doing it for me.
I am using all PPI blades. The light blue Platinums since their very release in 2019.
Even have old double wrapped PPI 2007-2008 Iridium -Super (not the Polsilver Super Iridium) and they will be compared against the new Iridium -Super of the last 2-3 years.

Shave three and I am done with these

TLDR: After using a second blade, along with a Nacet in between, I stand behind my original conclusion. Unless you just like them, there is no value proposition to these. At $15/200 delivered they are 2.5 cents per shave, you aren't getting more than three shaves. Use them if you have them, but I would just buy Nacets next time if I were you. These are a bargain for shavers in India as most of their domestic blade choices aren't nearly this sharp, short of a black Super Platinum.

On the positive column, these are comfortable blades. For something that is more or less the same sharpness as a Nacet and a bargain blade, there isn't really anything nasty or prickly about them. They do start off with a pretty durable coating that does affect the closeness, but this might be a positive for one and done shavers. Lastly, their decline is much more like carbon steel blades, they just get dull. This is a positive, even though three shaves isn't much, because they never got ragged for me.

On the negative column, they just aren't ground as well as Nacets. Or it's the steel, but they aren't efficient against my beard for something this sharp. Every single shave has required me to go back over areas that I can hear and feel aren't being cut, when it does grab it's nice and close. Every single shave has also had patchy areas, minor though noticable, that don't show up until later. And my whole goatee area generally just isn't getting cut close indicating some skipping in spite of going over it many times. This is all in comparison to a Nacet, not some impossible ideal. Yesterday, second shave, some things went really wrong on my neck. I am not sure exactly, but an area felt raw after trying too many times to eliminate a spot. It was too annoying to leave it alone so I grabbed a different razor and fixed it. And I didn't have any lingering irritation beyond the shave, so that's good.

This shave went much more predictably. I went back to my normal 1.5 pass shave south to north, trying to avoid over shaving. I had to switch back and forth between the two edges several times trying to find the one that was smoothest for some areas and the one that was cutting best for others, it was definitely done after this shave! I got a reasonably decent result, nothing outstanding like a Nacet. But I have to do the same dance with those on the forth shave. I am getting some noticeable red areas and micro cuts from using all these sharp blades that my skin would rather I didn't. I will try a Perma Sharp PPI blade as requested and try to make some kind of comparison and then I am moving on to the next blade in my blade sample.

TLDR: After using a second blade, along with a Nacet in between, I stand behind my original conclusion. Unless you just like them, there is no value proposition to these. At $15/200 delivered they are 2.5 cents per shave, you aren't getting more than three shaves. Use them if you have them, but I would just buy Nacets next time if I were you. These are a bargain for shavers in India as most of their domestic blade choices aren't nearly this sharp, short of a black Super Platinum.

On the positive column, these are comfortable blades. For something that is more or less the same sharpness as a Nacet and a bargain blade, there isn't really anything nasty or prickly about them. They do start off with a pretty durable coating that does affect the closeness, but this might be a positive for one and done shavers. Lastly, their decline is much more like carbon steel blades, they just get dull. This is a positive, even though three shaves isn't much, because they never got ragged for me.

On the negative column, they just aren't ground as well as Nacets. Or it's the steel, but they aren't efficient against my beard for something this sharp. Every single shave has required me to go back over areas that I can hear and feel aren't being cut, when it does grab it's nice and close. Every single shave has also had patchy areas, minor though noticable, that don't show up until later. And my whole goatee area generally just isn't getting cut close indicating some skipping in spite of going over it many times. This is all in comparison to a Nacet, not some impossible ideal. Yesterday, second shave, some things went really wrong on my neck. I am not sure exactly, but an area felt raw after trying too many times to eliminate a spot. It was too annoying to leave it alone so I grabbed a different razor and fixed it. And I didn't have any lingering irritation beyond the shave, so that's good.

This shave went much more predictably. I went back to my normal 1.5 pass shave south to north, trying to avoid over shaving. I had to switch back and forth between the two edges several times trying to find the one that was smoothest for some areas and the one that was cutting best for others, it was definitely done after this shave! I got a reasonably decent result, nothing outstanding like a Nacet. But I have to do the same dance with those on the forth shave. I am getting some noticeable red areas and micro cuts from using all these sharp blades that my skin would rather I didn't. I will try a Perma Sharp PPI blade as requested and try to make some kind of comparison and then I am moving on to the next blade in my blade sample.
Have you covered the Super-Max Diamond edge yet Aaron?

Have you covered the Super-Max Diamond edge yet Aaron?
Funny your should mention that and not surprising that there is one sitting in a razor right now...

Other than promoting them every chance I can in random threads, no. I still have like 10 different blades to get through in my sampler and those are something that I keep stocked already. I will be sure to start a dedicated thread when I do, thanks!

My wife changing her blade I told her she needs to test more but she does not seem to want to :) hahhaha

she did grab the red/gold permasharp and has said she likes those which is good as I bought 200 a while ago :) and they did better in my Wolfman than my Timeless

I am using all PPI blades. The light blue Platinums since their very release in 2019.
Even have old double wrapped PPI 2007-2008 Iridium -Super (not the Polsilver Super Iridium) and they will be compared against the new Iridium -Super of the last 2-3 years.
How do the light blue Platinums compare to the dark blue Platinums in your experience? I read a thread here not too long ago by someone who swore that the dark blue kind were superior.

lasta

Blade Biter
Funny your should mention that and not surprising that there is one sitting in a razor right now...

Other than promoting them every chance I can in random threads, no. I still have like 10 different blades to get through in my sampler and those are something that I keep stocked already. I will be sure to start a dedicated thread when I do, thanks!
Very curious,

What are your top 10 right now?

How do the light blue Platinums compare to the dark blue Platinums in your experience? I read a thread here not too long ago by someone who swore that the dark blue kind were superior.
There is no "superior" as it is always strictly to a personal preference.
Dark Blue is the older model still manufactured. Light Blue has only been started in the recent years. Although they say ©2017, they appeared in late 2019. And I have never seen batches earlier than April 2019.
Dark Blues are milder. Light Blues are sharper. Both are very smooth though. Have used hundreds of both.

Very curious,

What are your top 10 right now?
I am only on my third in this sampler! 🤪
(I am trying to see if I still feel the same about black Super Platinums, Diamond Edges and GWSs after getting through all these)

Well I wasn't going to post for a couple days, but the first shave today with the other Perma Sharp is very promising. Better for me than these Permasharps, but not too different from Nacets so far.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand

I wanted to personally thank you on behalf of myself, and other's on B&B, for doing these razor blades testing that you have been doing. I just find it fascinating, how so many different brands of blades, and even different blades under the umbrella of the same brand, all shave different from each other. This is why blades testing is so important, and why different blades act differently, in different razors as well.

I have nacet blades as well, I've gone through 1-tuk of those I believe since I got those blades. Still, Wizamet Super Iridium blades became my all time favorite blades, with Nacet's being a close 2nd. And since Gillette Silver Blues are every bit as good as Wizamets, you can get them for a much cheaper price then Wizamets now as well.

Its really good that your testing what India has to offer. With what has been going on in the country who must not be named, its important that we find other sources for our blades. And I commend you for taking one for the team, to find out India has to offer us blades wise.

Now, get yourself some Duke Cannon ICE Menthol aftershave balm, your poor neck requires a liberal application. No sir, no splash will do for the micro cuts, and irritation damage you do, not IMO. Get yourself a balm, and lather it on nicely, your neck will thank you, and thank me by extension hehe.

I haven't used any of the 7OC blades in a really long time however..

From what I remember this one was just short of top-tier efficiency and pretty user friendly. Don't recall any limitations with razors or other funky characteristics.

I believe I got 5 or 6 really good shaves from it before moving on.

I haven't used any of the 7OC blades in a really long time however..

From what I remember this one was just short of top-tier efficiency and pretty user friendly. Don't recall any limitations with razors or other funky characteristics.

I believe I got 5 or 6 really good shaves from it before moving on.
Thanks for adding your experience with this blade! It's good to hear, for some people, that this blade can go that many shaves as I know that is a sort of minimum for them to buy more.

Top Bottom