What's new

Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless

not sure if they are the same or different ?
Yep, those ones!

There is a shave site that shows the blade sharpness new and after 3 shaves and I do notice that my 2nd shave with these the blade is different and that chart kinda shows what I wondered about the 2nd being better
I go back and forth with how much I want to rely on those numbers, I used to be super excited because yah data! :w00t:

But, there are so many problems that I have discussed before and don't want to rehash. One worth mentioning though, and it's a biggie, is his one shave is a head and face shave. He even says this might be two shaves equivalent, people asked him to start testing after face shaving. Then he stopped testing abruptly. The initial sharpness is pretty useless as they all tested near the same which, taking the blade to your face, tells you something is flawed. I do like to see what the maximum sharpness he gets is as I think that indicates how narrow the bevel ultimately is, but even that has problems because he isn't testing after a single standard shave so might have actually missed the sharpest point. And on and on. 😀

Nacet already loaded for tomorrow, but I don't think I want to put that in this thread unless it's to compare after I circle back to the Permasharps. Thanks for the interesting conversation! ☺️

Those were the first Indian blade that I tried and they last me many shaves. I am worried about recent reports that the quality has gone down hill the last couple years for such a pricey blade(even in the US). I am slowly talking myself into getting cut in half next, if you know what I mean! 😬

I bought Dura Sharps during the Treet carbon thread, tried once and that was it. They are back out again though...
I need to revisit Black Ninjas - read a lot about good performance and longevity, but so far I have been able to get 4 shaves and the blade was done. Not the smoothest during those shaves either.

Guido

I need to revisit Black Ninjas - read a lot about good performance and longevity, but so far I have been able to get 4 shaves and the blade was done. Not the smoothest during those shaves either.

Guido
That's what I am afraid of, if I decide to buy 100. I seem to have random packs of many blades, but all of them are older and most haven't had problems. They should give you 4 smooth shaves in your .95, but they may not last more than that in that razor.

Yep, those ones!

I go back and forth with how much I want to rely on those numbers, I used to be super excited because yah data! :w00t:

But, there are so many problems that I have discussed before and don't want to rehash. One worth mentioning though, and it's a biggie, is his one shave is a head and face shave. He even says this might be two shaves equivalent, people asked him to start testing after face shaving. Then he stopped testing abruptly. The initial sharpness is pretty useless as they all tested near the same which, taking the blade to your face, tells you something is flawed. I do like to see what the maximum sharpness he gets is as I think that indicates how narrow the bevel ultimately is, but even that has problems because he isn't testing after a single standard shave so might have actually missed the sharpest point. And on and on. 😀

Nacet already loaded for tomorrow, but I don't think I want to put that in this thread unless it's to compare after I circle back to the Permasharps. Thanks for the interesting conversation! ☺️
Yeah I hear ya about the numbers did not know that about the head shave thing :) ahhahaha yeah that is a big uhhhhhhh OK that changes things :)
I do sometimes find those things curious as a base but like numbers on cars or bikes I am into means nothing really

Bottom line beating the dead horse of we all just have to try and use these things and see what we think with our face and then the razor its in changes things :)

face off today :)

nacet had the easy right side
green 7 the tougher swirly mess of the left side

so yeah kinda like has happened before the nacet is sharper durring
the green 7 more comfy in post
not that the green 7 is dull when shaving its still a sharp blade and has a dif feel there is no drag or tug either
and again if I could only combine these two :)

The 7 o'clock Permsharp Stainless is way too sharp for many users.

How do these compare to the 7 O'clock yellows?

Guido

The Black's are the smoothest blades I have shaved with yet. Longetivity seems average?

Those were the first Indian blade that I tried and they last me many shaves. I am worried about recent reports that the quality has gone down hill the last couple years for such a pricey blade(even in the US).

Quality of recent blades is fine, I have purchased a bunch of them.

How do these compare to the 7 O'clock yellows?
I still use very old yellows from 13-14 years ago. To me they are pretty similar to 7 o'clock Permasharp from India. On some days I even can't tell if it is a yellow or an Indian green. But here is the thing. A couple of years ago I bought the new yellows. Those have the new Gillette logo and say ©2017. Only used one, but it seemed less sharp than my old stock. I am sure other users have reported about decreased sharpness of the yellows in the recent years. Could be they changed them. Need to test side by side. I use the green Parmasharps much more anyway, they are super cheap. And a few years ago I bought them at prices like:

permasharp price.jpg

:c1:

I didn't want to say anything right away, but I actually like the newer Yellows because they are less sharp. They are now less sharp than the Russian Greens. They were one of the blades that I replaced with Gillette Wilkinson Swords, similar sharpness. But I didn't know that they used to be sharper, that's interesting information. I think the old joke was: Sharp(ish) Edge. I have always wondered when some of these blades started production, we know Polsilver was moved to PPI and Nacet used to be made in England, but when did these coloured package Gillettes start?

I didn't want to say anything right away, but I actually like the newer Yellows because they are less sharp. They are now less sharp than the Russian Greens. They were one of the blades that I replaced with Gillette Wilkinson Swords, similar sharpness. But I didn't know that they used to be sharper, that's interesting information. I think the old joke was: Sharp(ish) Edge. I have always wondered when some of these blades started production, we know Polsilver was moved to PPI and Nacet used to be made in England, but when did these coloured package Gillettes start?
The 7 O'clock brand has been started at the Russian plant only after 2004-2005. They market it only in Asia. There are blades made in India (7 o'clock Super Platinum, Stainless, EJTEK) prior to 2000 and some even from the 70s-80s. RAZOR BLADE WRAPPERS КОЛЛЕКЦИЯ ЛЕЗВИЙ ДЛЯ БРИТЬЯ - http://www.kolblade.narod.ru/india05.html
In the 90s they had them made in the Czech Gillette factory. Here is a Czech Super Platinum Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum Blues - CZECH? Keep or return? - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/gillette-7-oclock-super-platinum-blues-czech-keep-or-return.288614/post-4095025

So the Nacet vs the Green 7 again and I feel like Bill Murray in Ground Hog Day as these two are my fav top 2 at this point and not sure anything will bump them :) but not done with my blade comparisons

the Green 7 pulled ahead in sharpness as in felt sharper
the Nacet did not feel as sharp like it fell behind a touch
its not that the nacet just got duller quicker the green 7s to me truly change on 2nd shave to sharper and the nacet do get a touch duller hhmmmmmmmmm
the post comfort was so close I could not say for sure :)

I now wake up again and repeat the day :) hahahahahaha

I am two shaves in with a Nacet, will do one more tomorrow. Then back to the Permasharp for three shaves. Then I will compare them. I had planned to say something about the Nacet somewhere, but have been busy.

I feel comfortable saying they are in the same ballpark sharpness wise, but efficiency is going to the Nacet so far. It makes a different sound in the same razor, a louder, brighter zipper ripping! I can also feel the blade is grabbing difficult patches instead of slipping. The Permasharps skip more on my beard, but get close to the same place, only slower.

I might completely change my mind after using another Permasharp for three shaves, I might have adjusted my technique while using the Nacet.

Green 7 vs nacet again and both so good so close
maybe give the nod to the nacet today but was that only because it had the right side which is easy for me as the left side has this odd growth swirl under the jaw line ?

only reason I say Nacet is my #1 is I like the package better :) for me both are more alike than different

So I started this experiment. Same razor (ATT Windsor Pro Aluminium), brush and tube of cream. Yesterday shaved with a 7 o'clock Permasharp, today with a new post-2017 Sharpedge.
Yesterday's shave was really excellent and very very close. Today with the new batch Sharpedge it wasn't as close. And this was not the case with my old production Sharpedge. 1st pass WTG was fine. Second pass ATG. And on my moustache ang goatee some light resistance. What the heck?! With a yellow? Third pass XTG and especially on my neck the blade was struggling. So, seems like they really changed the Sharpedge. Just to be 100% sure, tomorrow I will shave with the same razor, brush and tube with the old stock Sharpedge. In case there is indeed a difference I will even post a separate thread.

I just finished off a Nacet at four shaves today. I have a lot to say about how much I enjoyed those shaves, but what is relevant here is that I have found a perfect razor/blade pairing and have dialled in my technique with them. So now I can do three shaves with one of these Permasharps and the differences should be quite clear.

Top Bottom