What's new

Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless

Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless blades

full

I have created a new thread for these blades. I know there are a few people on here that use them, but their reviews are generally spread out on unrelated threads.

I received this 10 pack of blades from and an Indian blade sample that I ordered direct(not from a US based shop). This is the third blade that I have tried out of my sample. The price on the tuck is 24RP/100 blades, cheaper than the Gillette Wilkinson sword blades even. I was told those were the base model blade for India, but apparently not! The cheapest price online is about $8/100, but these seem to have more variability in price than normal.

TLDR: These are unquestionably sharp blades! How sharp, I am not sure yet, but at least as sharp anything from PPI short of a Nacet. They may in fact be that sharp though. There is no resistance to cutting and a light touch is rewarded with a smooth shave. I didn't note any edge feeling indicating that they were bitey like many other top sharpness blades.

These are, as expected, completely out of my wheelhouse, I don't seek out the sharpest blades and prefer comfort above all. We are at that strange intersection where sharpness is high enough that it can be mistaken for smoothness, but I am not going to get fooled! I shaved normally and can't say that I did any more or less strokes due to the sharpness. They don't feel confidence inspiring to use, nor threatening. I didn't have any blood during the shave that I can blame on the blade. The more sensitive areas that really don't do well with sharper blades were unharmed. All I can conclude is that these do in fact have a pretty durable coating on them as they didn't change sharpness throughout the shave.

After the shave, I was worried that hidden damage would come to light so I used the alum bar and alcohol based aftershave. However nothing came of it. Now several hours later, my skin is fine and there is no irritation, but there is more to report. First, I am getting a tiny bit of patchiness especially on my troublesome jaw line. This reminds me of the RK Stainless that I just used, but this could be because of how light of a touch I was aiming for. I didn't stretch as tightly as that could allow an unknown blade to really abrade my skin. Also, I have noticeably flakey skin on my face. It's not a lot total, but it's everywhere that I shaved. This might be fine, but it does indicate how sharp these are.

I will do one more shave tomorrow in the same razor, which might be disastrous if they lose their coating completely. One way or another, I will be moving this to a razor that I think is more appropriate for two more shaves after that. I want to say that I will report back at the end, but last time that didn't go as planned so stay tuned!

Last edited:
They are my #2 behind Nacet
sometimes they pull ahead of the Nacet ! So either that close and I do think they are one of those blades that change a touch after the first shave

if I was to say something but reserve the right to change my mind haahhaa
Compared to the Nacet
the greens can get a touch less sharp but a bit more comfy
the nacet i feel stays sharper but looses some comfort
so really comes down to my technique and how lazy I am or how much clean up I try

they do not seem to get as much love as the Yellow or Black ones though

will be fun to see how they work for you after a while
as you said the price is reasonable to I tend to bin em after 3 shaves and not push them anymore than that

They are my #2 behind Nacet
sometimes they pull ahead of the Nacet ! So either that close and I do think they are one of those blades that change a touch after the first shave

if I was to say something but reserve the right to change my mind haahhaa
Compared to the Nacet
the greens can get a touch less sharp but a bit more comfy
the nacet i feel stays sharper but looses some comfort
so really comes down to my technique and how lazy I am or how much clean up I try

they do not seem to get as much love as the Yellow or Black ones though

will be fun to see how they work for you after a while
as you said the price is reasonable to I tend to bin em after 3 shaves and not push them anymore than that
Oh no, I can already sense a diversion ahead! Thanks for the review, I am glad I am not too far off comparing to Nacets. However, I haven't used one in some time as they were not comfortable for me. But I do have 99 left...

Then again the old YMMV will kick in hahaaahha

the Nacets are funny I am also using these in the Timeless Ti .68

The green 7 as I remember were better in my wolfman though

the Nacet I do find can get uncomfy in this odd unprotected sharp something drug across my face feel quickly if I push the shave to much

Have been using them for 15 years. The Nacet Stainless for only 5-6. Hundreds of both blades were used in many different razors. The 7 O'clock Permasharp is sharper. I get BBS with it in my mildest Techs and Super-Speeds. Impossible for the Nacet in those razors with my whiskers.

I have used the other Perma-Sharp's made in Russia. Can't really tell the difference between them and the Nacet's?

I have never used the 7 O'clock Permasharp's. I didn't realize that they were sharper than the Nacets.

It was also my understanding that the Russian made 7 O'Clock Super Stainless Greens, were considered to be superior to the Indian Green's?

Last edited:
I have used the other Perma-Sharp's made in Russia. Can't really tell the difference between them and the Nacet's?

I have never used the 7 O'clock Permasharp's. I didn't realize that they were sharper than the Nacets.

It was also my understanding that the Russian made 7 O'Clock Super Stainless Greens, were considered to be superior to the Indian Green's?
Perma-Sharp for Turkey and Nacet are close for me in sharpness, maybe the Nacet just a hair sharper.
The 7 o'clock Super Stainless (Russia) is much milder than the 7 o'clock Permsharp Stainless. Being a milder blade it is praised much here. The 7 o'clock Permsharp Stainless is way too sharp for many users.

Shave two, edge 1 is done

What a strange blade! A nice shave today, but not what I expected at all, most would have thrown the blade out.

Concerned with the sharpness the last shave, I did a WTG pass first instead of my usual ATG attack. There was already more resistance than the first shave, maybe the equivalent of a fresh Polsilver SI so not bad for me. It barely made it through that pass and somebody turned the blade off! Of course I continued, but I can't blame anybody who wouldn't, it was down to Derby sharpness now. I finished the shave with a lot of touch ups, which still seemed risky, and awaited my fate.

All I can think up is that they must be using a steel with a lower HRC like cheap kitchen knives that are sharp the first time you use them. This is not necessarily a dig when we are talking about a blade that costs pennies. Instead of getting rough and chewing up my face like a worn Feather, they remained comfortably dull. They must also be a narrow bevel angle because pushing through the resistance resulted in good efficiency actually! I don't have any crunchy spots on my face and no irritation to speak of. This is an interesting way to create a budget blade that is a crowd pleaser so to speak. Even at 2 shaves compared to at least 6 on a Super Platinum, these are still cheaper for the Indian consumer. They are, however, more per shave than the Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades.

I don't really know what to think, these are like a two in one blade. Just as mentioned above, three shaves is it if you care about the initial sharpness, I would have switched to the second edge if I did. I almost want to keep using it, but it's too dull even for me. I will switch the blade to a different razor and do one shave on the untouched edge and see how I like the sharpness in that razor.

Shave two, edge 1 is done

What a strange blade! A nice shave today, but not what I expected at all, most would have thrown the blade out.

Concerned with the sharpness the last shave, I did a WTG pass first instead of my usual ATG attack. There was already more resistance than the first shave, maybe the equivalent of a fresh Polsilver SI so not bad for me. It barely made it through that pass and somebody turned the blade off! Of course I continued, but I can't blame anybody who wouldn't, it was down to Derby sharpness now. I finished the shave with a lot of touch ups, which still seemed risky, and awaited my fate.

All I can think up is that they must be using a steel with a lower HRC like cheap kitchen knives that are sharp the first time you use them. This is not necessarily a dig when we are talking about a blade that costs pennies. Instead of getting rough and chewing up my face like a worn Feather, they remained comfortably dull. They must also be a narrow bevel angle because pushing through the resistance resulted in good efficiency actually! I don't have any crunchy spots on my face and no irritation to speak of. This is an interesting way to create a budget blade that is a crowd pleaser so to speak. Even at 2 shaves compared to at least 6 on a Super Platinum, these are still cheaper for the Indian consumer. They are, however, more per shave than the Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades.

I don't really know what to think, these are like a two in one blade. Just as mentioned above, three shaves is it if you care about the initial sharpness, I would have switched to the second edge if I did. I almost want to keep using it, but it's too dull even for me. I will switch the blade to a different razor and do one shave on the untouched edge and see how I like the sharpness in that razor.
I always shave with both edges. 7 o'clock Permasharp Stainless gives me 3 3-pass shaves. Just like the 7 o'clock Sharpedge.

when you say shave 2 edge 1 ? do you kinda use one side/edge only ? just curious
I do know with my blades using both sides I get 3 shaves and bin em so might have to try more than 3 shaves again but I know they are tugging after 3 while flipping the blades around which of course is about 1.5 on one side so could make sense why ya hit the wall at 2 shaves on one edge ( if that is what ya meant)

for me is that price is so cheap I can bin after 2-3 shaves and be happy but if a blade is 2x as much as gives 3x the shaves the later is the better deal ! hmmmmm

interesting though what you are finding enjoying the read !

I do know they change after one shave
also maybe why for me the flip flop between the nacet being better or worse if some of that could be the edge angle as you wondered and just depending on my beard softness is failing quicker and that is why !

again fun thread and making me think:)
also need to get another tuck of the yellow 7s (sharp edge) to test as I just realized I am all out :)

Last edited:
when you say shave 2 edge 1 ? do you kinda use one side/edge only ? just curious
Yep! I started doing this especially when testing a blade so I can accelerate it's decline and remove a variable. I had one blade I was testing recently that would have kept tugging the whole first shave if I used both edges at once, but instead I was able to get it to sharpen up enough on the second pass! I now do it most of the time, it supposedly used to be more common hence the markings on the blade tabs.

interesting though what you are finding enjoying the read !
Thanks! :biggrin1:

I always found it funny that people would complain about a Feather only lasting 3 shaves max because of the cost, it's like here you go! These may be just as sharp, or nearly so. I care more about the way Feathers decline than the cost.

I really like Sharp Edge blades, but they are nowhere near as sharp as these! I may keep this thread going and do a second blade since the first one didn't last long. If I do, I will try shaving "normally" three times. :117:

I cant remember the yellow to much BUT I know they did not make my final cull so they were never my favs but still curious kinda but then I think after I am done doing 40+ blades I know I will be happy with what I have used and will find one or two ultimate

whats funny is then I plan on getting a Kai Kasho with the artist blade and see where I go :) but I want to have my DE gear down to what I like and even then when I get a Tatara I think I will only go through what I call my top 10 or less

will be curious what you find with another round

Shave three, blade 1 is done

I put the blade in my Henson +++ and it was a great shave. This seems to have been enough to fix the Henson's lack of blade exposure(for me). 😏

I am still perplexed how sharp, but non threading to my face these blades feel. They are a cheap blade. I am still going with softer stainless that feels nicer on the skin, but dulls quickly. I am not completely convinced that these are sharper than Nacets however, they aren't zero resistance like Bic Astors which are unquestionably sharp. There is a bit of resistance that those don't have, especially ATG. But we are only talking about minute differences among the sharpest blades available. I was somehow confident enough to shave right over some facial bumps I have, both directions! This manoeuvre is what sent the edge of a Feather right into the bump with no resistance at all, not just took the top off. My face feels nice, no irritation or exfoliation this time. A little bit of crunchiness under the jaw that the Henson never can completely pick up.

I am definitely taking a break from this blade, but I do plan to revisit it very soon. I want to pull out a Nacet to compare directly, but I am very tempted to just pull out a Super Platinum and see if it cuts as close as I know those are smoother for me(than Nacets).

Sorry, Black Ninja(India) :ninja:
AHHHH no worries thanks :) and should have connected those dots hahahaahhaah

yeah in my blade comparison I really liked those :)
they are more money curious how they will last ?

While I have very limited use with them so far the shaves the other day were up there with my top two !

Sidetrack chatter inbound :)
I did put the black 7s in my to test more later bin :)
the other surprise were the treet in blue called Dura Sharp which was a surprise to me so glad my going through my blades once more has brought out two more blades to compare and going to be fun to see what I end up liking the most

yeah in my blade comparison I really liked those :)
they are more money curious how they will last ?
Those were the first Indian blade that I tried and they last me many shaves. I am worried about recent reports that the quality has gone down hill the last couple years for such a pricey blade(even in the US). I am slowly talking myself into getting cut in half next, if you know what I mean! 😬

I bought Dura Sharps during the Treet carbon thread, tried once and that was it. They are back out again though...

Those were the first Indian blade that I tried and they last me many shaves. I am worried about recent reports that the quality has gone down hill the last couple years for such a pricey blade(even in the US). I am slowly talking myself into getting cut in half next, if you know what I mean! 😬

I bought Dura Sharps during the Treet carbon thread, tried once and that was it. They are back out again though...
The dura sharp I have are the blue package so not the gold ones :) not sure if they are the same or different ?

3C511DA1-4CA0-49AD-A704-1752B9097B54.jpeg

There is a shave site that shows the blade sharpness new and after 3 shaves and I do notice that my 2nd shave with these the blade is different and that chart kinda shows what I wondered about the 2nd being better

new= 45 / after 1st= 35 / after 2nd= 42 / after 3rd= 41

Curious if any of you notice this ?

So decided tomorrow to do a nacet vs green 7 again and then the next day switch sides as now my curiosity is peaked hahahhaha

Top Bottom