What's new

Gillette 7 O'Clock Black > Bic Chrome Platinum > Feather

I'm going ahead and saying it. [YMMV and all that, but...] I've been using the Gillette 7OC Blacks and am sold 100%. I get 1 1/2 great shaves from a Feather. (FWIW the first half of the first shave is mediocre, the rest of the first is smooth as all get out, the second is great and the third usually only makes it halfway through before it hits the bin.) A while back I tried Bic Chrome Platinum blades and was able to get 5 great shaves (!) from them. A while later I tried the 7OC Blacks and they're even better. In fact, I usually keep track of uses and I have yet to keep count long enough. I think my last one was 7-9 shaves, each 3 or 4 passes of nasty thick hair. If you need a sharp blade give these a try.

Keep hoping to follow along more regularly, but in the past 6 months I moved to another state, started a business, had a third kid (okay, my wife did some of the 'having' work), bought a 1700s house with lots of work to do, and I'm sure I've done something else. Been quite the 6 months. Today I finally opened the fountain pens I had just started using from some generous folks here. Oh, and I finally tried my SE a couple times. I'll post some questions about that in the SE forum. But, that's the quick update; hope to be here a little more often. Great to be back, though as soon as I logged in latent ADs started hollering at me. I haven't bought anything in over 6 months, so I have to ease back into this.

See you all around. Give the Blacks a try; the CPs too.

I'm going ahead and saying it. [YMMV and all that, but...] I've been using the Gillette 7OC Blacks and am sold 100%.

+1. Also the most comfortable that I've used. I tried feathers and Polsilver SIs, and just didn't get the comfort of the blacks. Shave quality was the same, but my face felt more abused with the others.

The Blacks are the best DE blades I have ever used. They sit dormant at the moment as I have discovered the bliss and joy of SE shaving. (I recommend the GEM Stainless Steel coated blades for a SE razor.)

I have also had great luck with the blacks and the blues. My next large order will be for one or the other

I'm going ahead and saying it. [YMMV and all that, but...] I've been using the Gillette 7OC Blacks and am sold 100%. I get 1 1/2 great shaves from a Feather. (FWIW the first half of the first shave is mediocre, the rest of the first is smooth as all get out, the second is great and the third usually only makes it halfway through before it hits the bin.) A while back I tried Bic Chrome Platinum blades and was able to get 5 great shaves (!) from them. A while later I tried the 7OC Blacks and they're even better. In fact, I usually keep track of uses and I have yet to keep count long enough. I think my last one was 7-9 shaves, each 3 or 4 passes of nasty thick hair. If you need a sharp blade give these a try.

Keep hoping to follow along more regularly, but in the past 6 months I moved to another state, started a business, had a third kid (okay, my wife did some of the 'having' work), bought a 1700s house with lots of work to do, and I'm sure I've done something else. Been quite the 6 months. Today I finally opened the fountain pens I had just started using from some generous folks here. Oh, and I finally tried my SE a couple times. I'll post some questions about that in the SE forum. But, that's the quick update; hope to be here a little more often. Great to be back, though as soon as I logged in latent ADs started hollering at me. I haven't bought anything in over 6 months, so I have to ease back into this.

See you all around. Give the Blacks a try; the CPs too.

Welcome back! Assuming you're referring to the Indian Gillette Blacks, they unfortunately did not work for me. After trying various blades, I keep coming back to the Gillette 7'O Clock Super Stainless green pack and the SharpEdge yellow pack from Russia. Those two blades have never failed me in any of the razors I have tried. I was surprised that the Black & green packs from India did not work for me since I'm from India and I'd expect that the blades produced in India are honed to suit Indian beard types!

If you all haven't, try the Bics too. I hated the blues, greens were alright, and yellows were between the two. The YMMV bit is very curious. Constantly curious about the science behind it.

Top Bottom