What's new

Gillette 3-Piece Evolution Questions

Warning: Long Post

Poking around the forum, I've begun to do my best to connect the dots of Gillette Razor evolution.
The Old Type was made between 1903 & 1921, characterized by an Open comb, curved head with stabilizer pins, and being a 3-piece razor. The Double Ring('03-'06), Single Ring('06-'20), Pocket Editions, Khaki('17-'20), & Brownie('21-30?). 19-year run or 28-year run.

The New Standard, Richwood, Bostonian, Aristocrat, Algonquin, Chippendale made between 1921 & 1929 are the same, save the presentation(case and plating). How this effects combinations sets, I don't know. These have a Flat guard with slit and stabilizer pins.
The New Improved seem to have a few differences among these models, like the Big Fellow's longer handle, cases for the Tuckaway, Chesterfeld and Somerset (travel 3 piece). Milady Decollate and the Travelers. 9-year run.

The NEW was made from 1930-32 and a few differences in design. Long slit, no stabilizer pins, Ears on corners of top cap, and came in both Long Comb & Short Comb varieties. 3-year run.

The Tech looks like it was the last in the line of 3-piece evolution, running from 1939-1973. It had a Solid Guard and came in a variety of handles: Small ball end, Fat Handle, Slotted, & Spiral. The long slit evolved into a Triangle guard slots, then Ovals after 1947. 34-year run.

I have reason to believe that there may be fewer variances, if any, between razors during the run of the same model. So, if a person is after the shave experience instead of a complete collection, where are the lines of separation among the 3-piece razors?
How many different shaves with the Old Type? New Improved? NEW? Tech?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
NEW had a longer run than 3 years! Don't forget the New DeLuxe, one of the finest shavers.

I believe the New Standard does not have a slit, the long slit was introduced with the NEW as a replacement for the stabilizer pins to hold the blade. Although some of the English NEWs had stabilizer pins or slots

Glenn

My Double Ring, Bulldogs, thin cap Single Rings, thin cap Ball Ends, and thick cap Ball Ends all shave a little different. Also some variation between years. I don't think you can divide them into 4, 5, 6, or 7 different categories. Handles even make a deference for me. My Goodwills also shave different.

R

romsitsa

Hello,

Old types were produced with a thicker head after the original patents expired.
The NEW production ceased with the introduction of TTO-s in the early 40-ies, imho.
The design difference between British raised flat bottom NEW and US NEW is so huge, it should count as a different design.
I suspect Big boys/fellows have thicker heads as the original models (Old type, NI, NEW).

Adam

Nemo sent you to the right place! Achim also shows a Long Comb NEW from England with a flat bottom and round pins (but no slit) which he dated to 1946 based on the accompanying razor blades. The OP's reference to a flat bottom with slit AND registration pins might be a 1931 Goodwill with a #175 blade guard.

Tom

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Heres the OLD type timeline if its of use.

Timeline Old Type small.jpg

Top Bottom