What's new

Gillette 3 and Gillette 5

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
In Target the other day I ran into the Gillette 3 and 5. They look like a generic Mach3 or Fusion.

I recall seeing that Gillette had said as of April 1 they were going to reduce prices on much of the shaving line. This looks like a way to do it without cutting the cost the flagships.

Gillette3 and Gillette5 Razors | Gillette

Yes, they're interchangeable and they've been out for several months. I think they're the best carts for the Mach 3 and Fusion.

From reading the first review there it looks like the Gillette 5 is missing the top trimmer blade of the fusion.
: Just saying if someone is contemplating buying a 100 pack of these for their collection and need that 6th blade ;)

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Reading the reviews on the 3, they must use the same grip material on the handle as the Skin Guard. When dry it's darn near as sticky as tree sap, get it wet and it's like grabbing a leech. Can't believe they gave the green light on that material.

Reading the reviews on the 3, they must use the same grip material on the handle as the Skin Guard. When dry it's darn near as sticky as tree sap, get it wet and it's like grabbing a leech. Can't believe they gave the green light on that material.

Then get a Mach 3 handle and use it with the Gillette3 cartridges. They fit.

Gillette updated their blade technology maybe a year or two ago. The Mach3 cartridges use the new blade tech, the Gillette3 uses the old blade tech. Not so sure about the 5s.

These have been out for several months, maybe even a year now. It's to compete better on price with Harry's and Dollar Shave Club / Dorco.

The cartridge makers tried to make us think that more blades is better so they kept adding blades 2, 3, 4, 5 and finally 5 plus a trimmer blade. However, they have come to a point where adding more blades no longer makes sense. Thus, the pendulum has to swing the other way. Shavers who use DE and SE razors have learned that with proper technique they can get as good or better shaves than with multi-blade cartridges. The only advantage that cartridges have is that the head pivots so you do not have to find the correct shave angle and the larger face contact of multiple blades spreads out the pressure if you do not have a light touch. Thus, those whose technique is poor can still get a decent shave with a cartridge whereas they might get nicks or irritation with single edges.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
The only advantage that cartridges have is that the head pivots so you do not have to find the correct shave angle and the larger face contact of multiple blades spreads out the pressure if you do not have a light touch.

And the heads are smaller, thus more maneuverable. In addition, most carts present the head at an angle that makes them easier or more comfortable to hold and use compared to a DE. Those are two of the advantages I see in SE (some formats) vs DE as well.

In carts though, I'm equally happy with those that don't pivot as those that do.

The cartridge makers tried to make us think that more blades is better so they kept adding blades 2, 3, 4, 5 and finally 5 plus a trimmer blade. However, they have come to a point where adding more blades no longer makes sense. Thus, the pendulum has to swing the other way. Shavers who use DE and SE razors have learned that with proper technique they can get as good or better shaves than with multi-blade cartridges. The only advantage that cartridges have is that the head pivots so you do not have to find the correct shave angle and the larger face contact of multiple blades spreads out the pressure if you do not have a light touch. Thus, those whose technique is poor can still get a decent shave with a cartridge whereas they might get nicks or irritation with single edges.
Tried to make us think? Or in fact they are better? Maybe there was a reason millions of shavers in the developed world dropped DE for the twin blade carts? And it wasn't because DE became unavailable, they have never left where I live.

Tried to make us think? Or in fact they are better? Maybe there was a reason millions of shavers in the developed world dropped DE for the twin blade carts? And it wasn't because DE became unavailable, they have never left where I live.

The two-blade cartridge may have provided provide an slight advantage over a DE. The game changer, however, was when they developed the pivoting head to automatically adjust the shaving angle. When they went beyond that second blade, however, the advantage over the twin-blade was marginal at best. Five blades is not 2 1/2 times better than 2 blades. Millions of men adopted the modern shaving system because it works even without thinking about what you are doing. They can shave before their morning coffee, when they are still half-asleep. You cannot do that with a DE unless you are very talented.

I still have a five blade Schick Hydro 5 and a bunch of replacement cartridges in my arsenal of shaving implements. Now that I have refined my shaving technique, I can get better shaves (closer with less irritation) using a straight razor or DE than I get with the Schick. However, the Schick is my tool of choice for shaving the back of my neck.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I work at my local Woolworths and we only cater for cartridge shavers. We sell 1 type of DE blades, no soaps just canned gels and foams and lots of carts and handles for carts. My go to razor for 35 odd years was a Schick Super 2/Ultrex. I bought it as at the time I thought the pivoting head with the push clean blades was just the best. I have some 5 bladed carts that I have not used yet. Out of all the cartridges systems that I have tried, twin carts still give me the best shave over 3 blades or more. I got into DE razors to get to use my heirloom razors from my father and grandfather.

Ive been using Gillette3 carts in my old Mach 3 Turbo handle. They are doing a great job and still cutting great. Today was my 8th shave with the cart and i have a thick stubble every morning. You can get good deals on eBay for these Gillette3 carts.

I've tried both the 3 and 5. They might not be as smooth as the Mach 3 and the Fusion, but they are darn good razors. I could switch to those and not miss my Mach 3 too much.

Is anyone using the Gillette 3? I found a 4-pack of cartridges on clearance at a local grocery store for $2, so figured I'd give them a try. I'm still on the first one in my original Mach 3 handle. My early impressions were not good. The first shave in early December was a bit harsh compared to a Mach 3, and I cut myself badly on the second shave. Third shave was great though, and now I'm surprised that this cart just keeps going. I've lost track of how may shaves, but it has to be more than 50 so far which is dramatically more than I've seen from a Mach 3. The blue is long gone from the glide strip, but I've noticed no drop off in shave quality or increase in irritation. Would love to hear other member's experience with the 3.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
I used to use the Mach 3 and then Mach 5. I've kept the Mach 5 for emergency use only now. I stopped using cart razors for two reasons.

First, cart razors dull very quickly on my course wiry hair. And because of this, they don't last long. Plus, they yank on my hairs too easily, much worse once dull.

The second reason is cost. Last time I bought a pack of Mach 5 blades, it cost me 24 dollars for a 4-pack. I was spending 100+ dollars a year on blade packs!

I switched to electric shaving, a 50 dollar foil and blade set lasts more then a year, which is far easier on my budget.

Aside from the cost savings (unless you are afflicted with RAD), DE shaving, to me, is much more satisfying. DE shaving has also virtually eliminated the number of ingrown hairs I used to get.

I still use a Hydro 5 but only if I am very short on time. It gets the job done, but is a bit boring (but still better than any Gillette I have tried). I also use the Hydro 5 for the back of my neck: I wet the back of my neck first and use the Hydro 5 with very little pressure. I shave the back of my neck maybe twice a week, so in between occasional face shaves and twice a week back-of-the-neck shaves the Hydro 5 cartridges I have should last me quite a while.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

I will be completely honest, I am kind of afraid to get into safety razor shaving, I've never used a safety razor, have 0-experience with them, and wasn't taught on them from my father. And I am even far more scared of straight razors then anything else.

I got into electric shaving cause I figured it was easy, and for the most part it is, if your dry shaving. But what I discovered, painfully I might add, dry shaving doesn't suit me, because I have sensitive skin. The last time I dry shaved with an electric shaver, I looked like I had just came back from being tortured. lol

I then later discovered that a good electric shaver like the Panasonic Arc 4, while using a non foaming shave gel, really worked best. The improvement was noticeable! Where I have still been failing however, is in my aftershave.

And this is the reason that I am getting into PAA star jelly aftershaves. From the research that I have done already on them, I am probably going to like them. I will be sure to update the forum on how I like those aftershaves, in the aftershave forum.

Will I ever get into safety razor shaving? Well, honestly I don't know. I am not looking forward to it per say. But the more I hang out with you guys, I begin to wonder if I should. Well, the money isn't really there right not to buy into a whole safety razor shaving system routine.

I'd have to get a shaving brush, bowl, and some soap or creams, plus the razor, and there are oodles of them to choose from, from wide price ranges too. But rest assured, if I do decide to get brave and try out safety razor shaving, I will be sure to get all your guys advice on it.

I'd have to get a shaving brush, bowl, and some soap or creams, plus the razor, and there are oodles of them to choose from, from wide price ranges too. But rest assured, if I do decide to get brave and try out safety razor shaving, I will be sure to get all your guys advice on it.
IMO you don't really need all of that stuff. Start small. You can get an inexpensive safety razor and a blade sampler. You also need shaving cream, but that's not expensive either.

If you have shaved using a cartridge, you have a little to unlearn: The key is using the correct angle and no pressure. It may help to get a pre-shave oil to get good slickness. It takes some practice but really isn't that hard.

Just my $0.02 worth...

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

IMO you don't really need all of that stuff. Start small. You can get an inexpensive safety razor and a blade sampler. You also need shaving cream, but that's not expensive either.

If you have shaved using a cartridge, you have a little to unlearn: The key is using the correct angle and no pressure. It may help to get a pre-shave oil to get good slickness. It takes some practice but really isn't that hard.

Just my $0.02 worth...

I've been watching a guy on Youtube who made a very important point that I am not going to forget about safety razors. He said the same thing you did BTW, about using light pressure, and use proper angle.

But what I found more interesting, on a particular heavy weighted razor that he was using in one of his video's, he said, the beauty with that heavy weight razor, is you don't have to use any pressure at all, just let the weight of the razor carry the blade through to do its work.

That statement was genius to me. It got me thinking, that if I were to get a safety razor, I'd most likely go for a heavy weighted razor, something with a nice length handle I can hold in my hand, and can just let the weight of the razor carry the blade through the cut.

I seem to like the look of the Murkers I think their called. They seem to be a good razor that isn't overly expensive. I figure, for a razor that is 50 dollars or less, thats about right for a future budget.

I've already been educated in brushes so far, I know that I would end up going with a Semogue brush cause they appear to be quality. Some people like those artisan branded shaving bowl accoutrements. And if I end up like PAA products, I might choose them for the soaps too.

I have 0 knowledge on how to whip up the soap though, I'd have to watch a video on that lol. But ya, I find the process fascinating at least.

"Let the weight of the razor do the work" +1 yes, so it is good to start with a razor that has some weight.

I have heard that the Merkur 34C is a good overall razor (I haven't tried it, but hope to someday).

Another option to consider is the Edwin Jagger DE89, which seems to have a good reputation also.

When I started this journey, I bought a Van Der Hagen short handle (it's a rebrand of a Chinese-made razor). It's actually pretty good for the price (under $20 US). It's a TTO (twist to open or "butterfly") that is a pretty accurate clone of a 1960s era Gillette Super Speed.

Whatever you decide, you can start small and take your time learning. At least for me, the good results are worth it!

Top Bottom