What's new

Gillette 1941 Ranger Tech - First Use

41 Ranger is a great razor. I have one in my rotation and one it my travel kit. It is a nice "go to" razor that works well with any blade.

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
41 Ranger is a great razor. I have one in my rotation and one it my travel kit. It is a nice "go to" razor that works well with any blade.
I have two of them now as well. It's on another level from a Super Speed. It's like a Slim on 7 or 8. I'm growing more fond of them every time I get one out for a stroll around my face.

You picked a classic Gillette TTO razor with a great (short) history. A real looker as the Nickel plating is upgraded and extra buffed. A super shaver too and one of my favorites.
41RangerTech.JPG

You picked a classic Gillette TTO razor with a great (short) history. A real looker as the Nickel plating is upgraded and extra buffed. A super shaver too and one of my favorites.
View attachment 1560203
My 41 Ranger Tech is one of my very favorites. Shaves better for me than any of my Super Speeds. My 41 had to be replated based on condition, and I chose Rhodium, which looks very bright and shiny. My 46 Ranger Tech is stock nickle, and I don't believe it was as good of quality at the 41. Looks duller to me, but shaves the same as the 41 for me. Ranger techs just seem to handle much better for me than the clumsier feeling Super Speeds.

My understanding is that the Ranger Tech was produced in 1941, then again, briefly in 1946 after the WWII metal rationing was over. The only difference being the 1941 has no endcaps, and 1946 introducing the endcaps. 1947 would start the Super Speed era, and I believe the 1947 Milord is a gold Super Speed for that year.
Pretty much.

46 only change by adding end caps. At some point in 47 they changed to the the handle and notched head of the superspeed. Before that Milord was a gold ranger and turned to a Gold Superspeed.

I find somewhat more blade on the 41/46 version. Shave experience is excellent. I recently got a really nice replated 46' Milord from back roads gold.
IMG_20230106_193614496.jpg

My 41 Ranger Tech is one of my very favorites. Shaves better for me than any of my Super Speeds. My 41 had to be replated based on condition, and I chose Rhodium, which looks very bright and shiny. My 46 Ranger Tech is stock nickle, and I don't believe it was as good of quality at the 41. Looks duller to me, but shaves the same as the 41 for me. Ranger techs just seem to handle much better for me than the clumsier feeling Super Speeds.
I love Rhodium too. I know she looks great. Beautiful but also very duriable. I replated one of my 54 TV Specials. Cheers Pat

I love Rhodium too. I know she looks great. Beautiful but also very duriable. I replated one of my 54 TV Specials. Cheers Pat
The 54 TV special is a rare bird indeed! I have the D2, 1958 version, but other than the knurling on the handle, and special plastic box, it shaves like my other flare tips (which is just fine). My 41 RT, when it came back from plating, I was able to see a very small crack at the top of the knurling, possibly from someone over tightening the TTO in years past, but I didn't see it because of the plating condition it was in when I sent it in. My only regret, is that I didn't have a RT when in the military, the shaves would have been much more enjoyable.

Thanks for the comments and likes. It's funny some of you mentioned the Super Speeds, in comparison to the RT. I recently purchased a refurbished Flaretip SS from Razor Emporium.

It is a beautiful razor, but much, Much milder than the Ranger Tech (which I also consider a mild razor). It's my only razor that I need to use a Feather blade in. I would say the RT is a better shaver, but the SS is better looking.

The 54 TV special is a rare bird indeed! I have the D2, 1958 version, but other than the knurling on the handle, and special plastic box, it shaves like my other flare tips (which is just fine). My 41 RT, when it came back from plating, I was able to see a very small crack at the top of the knurling, possibly from someone over tightening the TTO in years past, but I didn't see it because of the plating condition it was in when I sent it in. My only regret, is that I didn't have a RT when in the military, the shaves would have been much more enjoyable.
As discussed 54 TV Special.
IMG_3669.JPG

As discussed 54 TV Special.
View attachment 1589381
Looks to be Mint or near Mint condition. The knurling jumps out at you. I have a Milord in like condition, not sure if it was ever used, the orangish lacquer on the silo doors is unscathed. Beautiful razor you have there for sure. The case reminds me of my Parat, cased in red and clear, with a big G where the TV is located on your set, made in Germany. My TV Special is in the red and clear case like the Parat. With a razor in this condition, I just can't bear to shave with them, I feel guilty somehow.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
I have a British Rocket HD 500.. TTO.. How does it compare to the Ranger Tech '41 when it comes to the shave? I haven't tried it yet, obviously.

The only other Vintage Gillette I have and have used is the England Flat Bottom Tech.

The Ranger Tech was a premium product in 1941. The plating is bright nickel, not the dingy looking nickel of later years. The doors are highly polished. The fit and finish are superb. You should go after the razor with some metal polish for the neck looks cloudy in the photo.

Top Bottom