What's new

Gillette 1934 Aristocrat - first shave

After my beautiful 1934 Aristocrat open comb arrived in the mail earlier this week, I could hardly wait to fire it up. It was in great shape (no missing teeth, TTO mechanism worked fine and the gold plating was nearly full intact). After a Barbicide soak, I slipped in a cheapo Shark stainless blade. Most of my 9 razors are 3 piece and open comb, but I can see the benefit of TTO. For some reason, TTO and open comb are rare in modern razors. Using Proraso Red, I got a great shave. The Aristocrat appeared more aggressive, in a good way, than my 1910 Single Ring and my 1930s Ball End. I will have to try them with the same blade and cream brands for aggressiveness comparison. I got a flawless, close shave with no nicks from the Aristocrat. Next, I'm going to shave with a Personna stainless blade in the Aristocrat.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Congrats on the Aristocrat!!! And my taste tends to run towards the "open comb" as well. I recently acquired a Gillette Popular (also an OC TTO), and was pleasantly surprised by how well it balances comfort with efficiency. Looking forward to hearing more about your shaves relative to your other razors.

The '34 Aristocrat is one of my favorites. It delivers superb shaves. As you dial it in, try shallow & steep angles with it. You may find one is better over another. Congrats on getting one, enjoy!

Thanks for the replies of encouragement for the Aristocrat. I will try the suggested tips and follow up as I shave more with the Aristocrat.

I'm attaching photos of my Aristocrat and its gold plated case. I'm assuming that the Aristocrat is the model that came out at Christmas 1934 because of the gold case (as opposed to the later leather cases). I probably will do some research to confirm that it is a 1934 model. Its in great shape with no missing or bent teeth and the gold plating is nearly intact. A great shaver, which I will use again today. My memory is that the 1936 Aristocrat still had an open comb. The combination of open comb and TTO is rare and is what attracted me about this year Aristocrat.

Attachments

• Aristocrat razor 2.20.JPG
    Aristocrat razor 2.20.JPG
    78.6 KB · Views: 20
  • Aristocrat case 2.20.JPG
    Aristocrat case 2.20.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 17
Congratulations,for joining the Aristocrats. Used my 36 US this morning with an Astra SP and got my typical BBS. Hope you love it!

Top Bottom