What's new

Gillette 1930's Open Comb Old Style Cracked Handle

I picked up this 30's Gillette Open Comb Old Style on the Bay, after looking for weeks I thought I Had found one at a reasonable price, well as soon I received it I noticed the two cracks. Out of the six photos in the ad only one shows any hint of a defect, I know it's an old Razor but after five shaves the thin cracks are opening just slightly even when I have made sure not to twist the handle to hard, anyway I would like to know my options, if I have any, the razor shaves really good, don't know if anyone works on these. any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks :bored:

$image.jpg$image.jpg

Maybe this will help:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showth...cked-handles-shafts-in-Gillette-Old-Types-etc

Btw, Old Types weren't made in the 30s, that looks like the thick cap version (102A), those are from the 20s.

Thanks for the lead I just knew someone would be able to point me in the right direction.
Btw I was just regurgitating what was in the seller ad, but your are correct about knowing
more about what you are buying, You guys have already taught me some useful things in
a short while so it should prove to be interesting.

Best Regards,
MC

Hi,

My 1921 102 Thin Cap from my Grandfather has been cracked since I got it in 1979. Still going. Try not to get hot water on the handle. The heating and cooling will slowly make the crack worse. Just heat the head and you will probably be good.

Stan

Thanks for words of encouragement. I will, I'll try to post some photos it but it may be awhile, I get a little in spring.

Stan you most have been reading my mind this morning, I'm looking at the steaming bowl and thinking, expansion, contraction, heat transfer from the water, I just shook my head and kept shaving, but what you are saying makes perfect sense.
Thanks,
MC

Hi,

Yeah. The tube is made by rolling sheet brass which pushes the edges together. But, this leaves a microscopic seam. Eventually, the expansion and contraction works the seam open. The ends are pressed in, so there is a built-in force trying to open the seam. The heat makes the pressed in ends expand outward and the tube expand inwards. Oops. More force. Not a lot, but over the decades, enough to spread most of the tube seams apart a little.

Mine is cracked only at the post end. Grandpa liked to dip and swish the head and so also the upper part of the handle. I like to dribble the hot water out of the tap to rinse, so manage to not get the post end of the handle. Or, at least not enough to make it worse.

I would go with the idea that if the ends stay put, leave it alone. Of course, if they like to fall out, it is then time for a repair....

Stan

I like your conservative way of thinking this is such a nice razor that I would hate to mess it up while trying to fix it, the ends are tight at the moment, think I'm going to enjoy it for a while and see how it goes, if I happen to run across a real cracked up razor cheap then maybe I'll give that a shot first, for now I'll try to figure what's the best blade to use in the razor, I was using a Lord blade that worked
good but I'm going to try some others, Thanks.

MC

Top Bottom