What's new

Gilette Tech Trauma

I keep thinking about trying a Tech with that flat base plate, but isn't that essentially the same head geometry as a British open comb New? Then again, since I really like mine, I may want to consider that . . .

On the other hand, it's nice to shave with a razor that is pretty darn friendly and still as effective as anything I own. I like friendly and effective.

I have an English Fat Handle Tech with the flat base plate & also a couple of English New LCs. The head geometry is very similar, but the Tech is slightly milder & slightly smoother. In terms of aggressiveness, I would place my Tech just above my Muhle R89.

My other favourite Tech is an English solid brass Ball End (i.e. none of the three pieces are aluminium), which doesn't have the flat base plate, but is one of the most weighty Techs. I find this better balanced than my Fat Handle Tech & it is much milder, but still gives a 3 pass DFS.

Last edited:
I have a couple (OK, a few) Techs including the pre-war '38-'41 fat handle Tech, a sweet later model ball-end Tech and a three Travel Techs. I've not found any of the Techs to me difficult to master, in fact after getting used to more aggressive razors, they seem to me a little mild for my taste. I really sweet combo is adding a heavy handle (like a Bulldog) to a Tech head. Some call it a "Tech Dog" or "Bull Tech". That heavy weight handle really adds a new dimension to the Tech head.

I have a couple (OK, a few) Techs including the pre-war '38-'41 fat handle Tech, a sweet later model ball-end Tech and a three Travel Techs. I've not found any of the Techs to me difficult to master, in fact after getting used to more aggressive razors, they seem to me a little mild for my taste. I really sweet combo is adding a heavy handle (like a Bulldog) to a Tech head. Some call it a "Tech Dog" or "Bull Tech". That heavy weight handle really adds a new dimension to the Tech head.

+1

I find that the added weight from the handle provides additional smoothness to the overall shave. With the original lightweight handles, you tend to pull the razor around to shave. These little changes in pressure can sometimes lead to a less than optimal shaving angle. The extra weight allows the head to shave on its own and the user just needs to guide it where it needs to go.

Hmm. I understand that, but imo one of the nicest features of the Tech is that is feels really light & nimble yet gives a reasonably close, comfortable shave.

Hmm. I understand that, but imo one of the nicest features of the Tech is that is feels really light & nimble yet gives a reasonably close, comfortable shave.

+1

I have plenty of heavy razors, the relatively light weight Tech is a nice change. Though having said that, I probably will put a stainless steel handle on my Tech at some point. My son's daily driver for a while was a New LC on a Shavecraft Bulldog & this always felt a nicely balanced setup.

I'm curious as to why your Tech has significant "play" in how the blade seats. I haven't personally experienced that in either of my Techs, nor have I heard of that before. It makes me wonder if your razor is damaged or defective somehow . . .

I have and use several Techs, including the prewar model you cite, and have never noted any significant amount of "play" in centering the blade. I am really curious about this. The photo looks normal.

+1 on curiosity towards the play. Not sure how that would even happen, the center rib seems to be a very tight fit in regards to the Astra SP blades I have used in mine. There are also the 4 "posts" or nibs in the corners to keep things lined up, I thought.

As far as the "play" in the blade goes... I dunno, it should be snug (as the pictures verify no immediately apparent fault with the head). However, when I have the razor assembled (head, blade, baseplate, handle) with the handle loosened, the blade will move ever so slightly side to side. Mind you, we're talking fractions of a millimeter here, but when dealing with an object like a sharp razor blade, that can be enough to make a difference.

As I said earlier, my Old OC does the same thing -- as long as I check it for even exposure on both sides, the shave is great.

Top Bottom