What's new

Gilette Tech Trauma

Please bear with me as I provide some background...

I started DE shaving about two months ago with a Merkur 38C. Shortly thereafter bought an open comb Merkur 41C. As I moved through my blade-sampling with these two, I eventually found I preferred the blades often considered "sharper" here on B&B. i threw out all my Derby's and bought more Feathers, as I was getting a smooth, comfortable shave with them (following the initial apprehension brought on by the many descriptions of them). I next went on the eBay hunt for vintage Gillettes. I first found a Tech (I think it's an older one. The baseplate has the "PATENT NOS ON PACKAGE" on top, and the bottom has the "REG U.S. PAT. OFF," Gillette Diamond logo, and "MADE IN USA" stamps. For the experts out there, what era would this be?).

I read all over B&B how the Tech is considered a very mild razor. My first shave with it, with a Feather, was a disaster. MAJOR irritation, multiple nicks and weapers, and my face was burning and irritated throughout the day. I had to put it away for a week to give my face a rest.

Meanwhile, I acquired an old open comb vintage 1904 design. This razor gives me a fantastic, comfortable shave with a Feather. My face recovered, I decided to give the Tech another try, this time with a Wilkinson, thinking the Feather may not have been the best starting point on the Tech. I had had good shaves with the Wilkinsons in my two Merkurs previously. I also made it a point to use soaps/creams that I knew would provide comfortable lubrication. The results this time around with the Tech were better than the first go-round, but still unacceptable, IMO (it's MY face, after all!).

I know the first rule of wetshaving is YMMV. But, is it typical for such a widely-accepted "mild" razor to cause this much irritation? I do not see anything obviously wrong or damaged on the Tech. Granted, my other three razors are all considered mild, too, but this Tech I find intolerable. It'd be a shame to have bought a nice vintage Gillette and not be able to use it...

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 319
It's a 1938-1941 Pre-War triangle slot Tech. It's commonly considered the most aggressive Tech made. Many people find it the best Tech to use and they are usually the Techs I grab to use and put Feather blades in.

I've never had any nicks or cuts or irritation with them so the razor might just not match your skin. If you use a Tech from the 50's or early 60's you'll find they give a much milder shave. Maybe try a blade like the Astra in there and give it one more go? Otherwise I can't really figure why it's cutting you up.

Last edited:
Just something that comes to mind is that with a mild razor I will make more passes trying to get a better shave and end up with redness. I also tend to be more heavy handed (read more pressure) once again trying to make a mild razor more aggressive. This is a recipe for disaster.

Thanks, Todd!

I actually have another Tech to try. It's a more modern one -- one that was given to me new in a travel kit when I went off to college in 1978. I also have some Astra's, Bic's, and Bluebirds I can try in each of these.

Just something that comes to mind is that with a mild razor I will make more passes trying to get a better shave and end up with redness. I also tend to be more heavy handed (read more pressure) once again trying to make a mild razor more aggressive. This is a recipe for disaster.

I'm pretty sure I was making all those errors on my first, disastrous shave with this Tech. When I came back to it, I consciously went deliberately light on the pressure and made the same number of passes as with my other razors, but my results were still "not good."

Last edited:
What's it look like with a blade in it? Maybe the blade isn't even exposure or gap-wise? My Dad has my Tech so I can't remember if you have to center the blade while tightening the handle like my "Old". Is the a Tech nickel plated? Do you have an allergy to nickel? Maybe you need to change your technique with the Tech? That's all I got.

I switch between Fat Boys, Slims, Schick Injectors (I2, M adjustable), GEM SE's, and News and Olds. The only time I had problems like you're having was when I first started with the Fat Boy a few years ago and my Schick Adjustable a few weeks ago.

Thanks, Todd!

I actually have another Tech to try. It's a more modern one -- one that was given to me new in a travel kit when I went off to college in 1978. I also have some Astra's, Bic's, and Bluebirds I can try in each of these.

If the newer model Tech you have has an aluminum handle on it then I recommend using the handle from the Pre-War Tech with it. The razor will shave better with a slightly heavier handle with more grip. The Pre-War should have had a common bar handle on it which is a great handle.

Nomex: i checked blade position/snugness. On my "Old," there's plenty of play and I definitely have to carefully position the blade as I tighten. The Tech is very snug and seems to go right into place.

Luminose: I have both Weber and Ikon Bulldog handles, which I use exclusively on my 3-piece razors (i.e. I never use the original lightweight handles).

I use a pre-war tech with Astra and Gillette silver blues, great razor for me. I have not tried Feather blades in it but did get a few bad shaves using Wilkinsons.

Although Techs are favored by many people here on B&B, I also have never been able to get a good shave with one of them. The only other razor I've had the same problem with was the EJ 89 which is another crowd favorite . The rest of my vintage Gillettes both open combs and safety bars give great close and comfortable shaves.

I don't have the foggiest idea beyond pressure . . . I use that exact razor as a regular in my rotation and I have found it to be very friendly. I don't think it has ever given me razor burn at any angle. I use mine with Voskhods and Sputniks, currently.

I'm baffled. :tongue_sm

I'll give my two Techs a few more tries with different blades, but who knows? I may be joining rotto66 in the "Tech Minority."

We could be a very small group, perhaps "The Order of the Tech Haters.":ohmy: ...Just kidding!

The "pre-war Gillette fat handle tech" (like in your first photo) is my favorite razor. It is somewhat of an oxymoron in that it is the most aggressive of a mild shaving family. While I love using feathers, my preferred daily blades are either Astra SPs or Personna Labs as I can achieve comparable results at a significantly lower cost point.

In my experience, the mild manners (design) of the tech results in a very small effective shaving angle. You have to find that sweet spot - Otherwise, a multitude of hairs will remain uncut and you will get a ton of skin irritation going back and forth trying to obtain a BBS/DFS. I find that the best angle for me is:

- Solid bar to skin
- Tilt the razor till I feel *halfway* up the razor's cap - The head is very low-profile, it may seem strange compared to other razors (especially modern razors with their "bulky" heads)
- Make sure your skin is taut/tight and shave with 0 pressure

I hope this helps and you give the Tech another chance. Ultimately, razors are definitely YMMV. Multiple B&B gentlemen sings praises to the high heavens about the R41. I shaved with it once and I thought these guys must be masochists. I definitely want to give it a try again but if it doesn't work out, I am OK sticking with my lowly Tech.

Come back to it after a while and give it a chance. Go easy, find the right angle, and be prepared to do a little extra work to get a close shave.

Allow yourself time to learn how to use the razor and see what it can do. Techs are great!

Bingo.

It probably doesn't help that the Tech weighs less than 50g compared to the 115g of the 38C.
You need to try the Tech with a sharp blade like a Feather, Gillette black, Polsilver SI etc but avoid any pressure. Millions of people got brilliant shaves from Techs for over 50 years. It's a great design.

UPDATE: I tried out my "modern" Tech yesterday. I've owned this razor since new. It was part of a travel kit my parents gave me when I went off to the military/college. I used a Bulldog handle on it. GREAT shave! No -- and I mean zero, zilch, none, nada -- nicks, cuts, weepers, or irritation. This was the Tech I keep hearing about. I think I will use this for a blade or two, then try the pre-war tech again (this may take me awhile, as I will be away from home a lot in the coming months).

thanks to all for your input and suggestions!

I keep thinking about trying a Tech with that flat base plate, but isn't that essentially the same head geometry as a British open comb New? Then again, since I really like mine, I may want to consider that . . .

On the other hand, it's nice to shave with a razor that is pretty darn friendly and still as effective as anything I own. I like friendly and effective.

SUCCESS!!!!

UPDATE #2: I thought it best to make another progress report, lest I scare some small minority away from this well-regarded razor.

Last week, after using the Astra blade in my modern Tech for one shave, I moved the blade over to the pre-war Tech. During the shave, everything felt fine and comfortable -- no apparent nicks, weepers, or irritation. The shave was "OK," probably SAS. However, a few hours later, I looked in the mirror and discovered I had a minefield of pin-sized scabs covering the area from my chin down to my adam's apple. So despite no obvious discomfort, this would still be unacceptable.

in the meantime, I received my "New" OC find. Experimenting with the New (and referencing many B&B threads), i began to realize different razors may require radically different technique (in terms of angles and pressures); the New doesn't shave the same as my Old, or the Merkurs, etc. determined to give the pre-war Tech another go with my Sunday morning shave, i was giving it a look on Saturday night before bedtime. Still using the (two-shave old) Astra blade, I gently ran the blade over my fingers. I was quite surprised to find that it felt extremely mild on one side, and extremely agressive on the over. Loosening the handle, I found there was a lttle bit of "play" in the blade. Like my Old OC, I had to carefully hold the blade centered as I re-tightened the handle. I now had equal blade exposure on both sides.

RESULT? Combining my now-centered blade and alteration of technique (very shallow angle with handle closer to perpendicular to my face), i got a great, comfortable shave. Actually, one of my closest DE shaves ever! Maybe these Techs aren't so bad after all...

Top Bottom