What's new

Gifted a bottle of Japanese whiskey

So, my father-in-law gave me this bottle of Japanese whiskey yesterday and know nothing about it. I enjoy whiskey once in a while, so it won't be wasted on me, but was wondering if anyone here has ever tried it and what their thoughts are about it.
Nikka Single Malt Whiskey 10 years old.
20201014_185910.jpg

I know nothing about it, but it is interesting as I never knew there was Japanese whiskey.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've not had any, but have heard good things about Japanese whiskey. I typically use Distiller for quick research, but this particular bottle seems to elude them. I'm shocked at how many different Nikka varieties there are.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I have not had that particular one, but I have had several Japanese whiskies. They were excellent, very refined and very smooth. They reminded me of Highland Park. I have never bought one, however, because I am more of an Islay guy.

Thank you gentlemen.
I did manage to find information on its flavor profile, but now can't find the bookmarked page. It does indeed sound like it's a very smooth and light flavored whiskey.
Now, I also came across an identical bottle to what I have for sale, and I was was a bit shocked by the 4 digit price tag, so I believe this will be opened on a special occasion. Luckily I have other refreshments I can enjoy until then.

I have not explored Japanese whiskey; yet. Some of my whiskey drinking compadres say I should. I get the usual whisky and water deal . That’s my scotch approach. Yet there is a whiskey high ball thing in Japan. They even have machines that make a high ball. If you watch Midnight Diner on Netflix. I believe it’s season 3 ? There is a customer who isn’t interested in a beer. The chef serves her a whisky high ball and everyone in his restaurant wants one.

I love Japanese whiskies (whisky with no E btw). They are a copy of Scotch whisky but some of them are quite excellent. Nikka is very good and so is Yamazaki. Some are actually quite expense. Totally different to the Scottish Islays and Speysides but they have a character all of their own.

cheers
Andrew

I'm currently drinking 2 bottles of Japanese whisky, Nikka Coffey Grain and Suntory Toki. Both are excellent. The Nikka distillery has been in business for nearly 100 years and one of its whiskies was rated best in the world by Whisky Advocate in 2018. I drink the Nikka whisky neat with a splash of water. Suntory is an international spirits conglomerate which owns, among other brands, Jim Beam bourbon. I use the Suntory to make the classic Japanese whisky highballs, using soda water in some and ginger beer in others. Japanese whisky is one of the great spirits.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Never tried it. But I do recall reading a couple years ago about how Japanese Whisky is growing widely in popularity and there are many many brands on par with the great whiskies of the world (US, Canada, Scotland)

Legion

Staff member
That is a good gift.

I did a course on Japanese whisky, and it was quite interesting. I can honestly not remember if I have tried that exact Nikka, but it is a respected brand.

Coincidently, this just popped up on my facebook ads. If anyone is still deciding what to get me this year... Just sayin'.

Last edited:
I'm currently drinking 2 bottles of Japanese whisky, Nikka Coffey Grain and Suntory Toki. Both are excellent. The Nikka distillery has been in business for nearly 100 years and one of its whiskies was rated best in the world by Whisky Advocate in 2018. I drink the Nikka whisky neat with a splash of water. Suntory is an international spirits conglomerate which owns, among other brands, Jim Beam bourbon. I use the Suntory to make the classic Japanese whisky highballs, using soda water in some and ginger beer in others. Japanese whisky is one of the great spirits.
I heard it's the best whisky in Japan

Top Bottom