What's new

Gift from Work

So every month or so at work they give out prizes. For being good doobies at work we get chips at our monthly meetings, and we take those chips and put them down a Plinko board we made. It's (supposed to be) a fun way to reward good behavior. There's a $50 gift card, company buys you lunch one day, a prize valued at $100 or under (you pick it, a thing to open and not cash or GC), one nothing slot, and a grand prize of a day off with pay.

Anyways, the last few times my prize has been knives (because knives are great). So I got to thinking $100 can buy a lot of pipe, even a brand new pipe. A quick check on Amazon lists several Petes and Savinellis under that mark. SmokingPipes has even more.

So I'll put it to you fine gentlemen. If someone was going to buy you a $100 brand new pipe, what would you steer them to?

JCinPA

The Lather Maestro
Where did the term Army Mount come from? Anyone know? It just means tapered friction fit rather than exact, right?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Supposedly army guys back in the day would use the brass of
Where did the term Army Mount come from? Anyone know? It just means tapered friction fit rather than exact, right?

Supposedly army guys used the brass from spent rounds to fortify the shank of their pipes. Army mounts always have metal to support the shank, so I think the term refers more to that metal band vs type of stem, but today all army mounts are wedge fit stems so go figure.

Peterson and savinelli stuff is great. Also take a peek at stanwell. They are one of my favorites for a quality pipe that doesn't break the bank 👍

I don't have a lot of experience with the Italian Stanwells, but the featherweight that I have is a good smoker for a sub $100 pipe. The finish didn't hold up worth a damn, but aside from that I've got no complaints.

I don't have a lot of experience with the Italian Stanwells, but the featherweight that I have is a good smoker for a sub $100 pipe. The finish didn't hold up worth a damn, but aside from that I've got no complaints.
Haven't had any issues with any of mine yet. All have smoked great and so far the finishes have been fine. I believe I'm up to 8 of them now. All the sales tempt me haha.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
So every month or so at work they give out prizes. For being good doobies at work we get chips at our monthly meetings, and we take those chips and put them down a Plinko board we made. It's (supposed to be) a fun way to reward good behavior. There's a $50 gift card, company buys you lunch one day, a prize valued at $100 or under (you pick it, a thing to open and not cash or GC), one nothing slot, and a grand prize of a day off with pay.

Anyways, the last few times my prize has been knives (because knives are great). So I got to thinking $100 can buy a lot of pipe, even a brand new pipe. A quick check on Amazon lists several Petes and Savinellis under that mark. SmokingPipes has even more.

So I'll put it to you fine gentlemen. If someone was going to buy you a $100 brand new pipe, what would you steer them to?
I would go with Peterson I expect.

There are some Rattray's pipes that fit that price range too 👍. So many brands and makers it can make your head spin haha.
That's been my problem so far.

I'm half tempted to pick out a churchwarden. I'm curious, but I don't want to buy one in case I don't like it. And I really like the Peterson shapes. I guess we'll see

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Both brands certainly have several CWs in your price range. As an aside, if anyone is on the edge over getting a churchwarden, there is the relatively cheap option of a Forever CW stem for an MM cob.

I'm half tempted to pick out a churchwarden. I'm curious, but I don't want to buy one in case I don't like it. And I really like the Peterson shapes. I guess we'll see
Does it have to be a new pipe? Lots of good-looking estate pipes, including Petersons and Savinellis, on eBay and Etsy. And many of the Buy It Nows are under $100.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
C530F1F4-C4B7-4297-82EF-B56D23CAFB14.png

Churchwardens are like any other pipe. You just get to have your hand at a more relaxed position while you smoke. If you're anything like I think you are, you will like it, but you can always try a MM Cobbit.

If it were up to me and you're between a Sav or Pete, its up in the air. Personally I Savs are more comfortable to clench. But thats me and sways my opinion that way. So its win either way unless you know one is more comfortable than the other for you.

Yeah, I think a decent meerschaum. One like thisScreenshot_20211122-170931_Chrome.jpg. The Savinellis I like aren't in that sub $100 range and I'll get my Peterson but with lots of silver. I'll get my CW, but I think I'll start with a Cobbit, because of it doesn't work out doesn't matter because it's a cob. The Stanwell HCA will come.

Top Bottom