What's new

Gift for a friend

I'm thinking a gift to a friend as I've known him for 15 years + and never knew what to get him. Then it dawned on me to get him a "wet shaving kit." He's currently using a shick hydro edge (he also changed from electrics a few years ago). I'm thinking of getting him the following:

-DE razor (not sure what kind yet so I'm open to suggestions... I started out on the Muhle R89 and not sure how that compares with the DE89 from EJ)
-VDH shave puck
-Some sort of cream in a tube... Again open to suggestions
-Parker shave brush (most likely a pure one)
-Blade sampler pack (probably something with at LEAST 5 different kinds)
-Pre and post shave something or other. I need suggestions since I'm still experimenting with post shave myself. I don't use pre-shave oils since a hot towel seems to give me the same "prep"
-Alum block
-shaving mug

Am I forgetting anything here?

I'm thinking a gift to a friend as I've known him for 15 years + and never knew what to get him. Then it dawned on me to get him a "wet shaving kit." He's currently using a shick hydro edge (he also changed from electrics a few years ago). I'm thinking of getting him the following:

Am I forgetting anything here?

My suggestions are below:

-DE razor: I would recommend a vintage Gillette for your friend. Plenty of good Flare Tip and 1940 Style Super speeds out there and they are great shavers for those starting out.
-Some sort of cream in a tube: I would go with any of the Proraso creams as they provide great cushion and are easy to lather
-Parker shave brush (most likely a pure one): No suggestions here, you'll pick a good one.
-Blade sampler pack (probably something with at LEAST 5 different kinds): Agree as long as it includes a Pol Silver SI in there.
-Pre and post shave something or other. I need suggestions since I'm still experimenting with post shave myself. I don't use pre-shave oils since a hot towel seems to give me the same "prep": I would recommend a simple balm, perhaps Nivea to start with. I agree that Pre-Shave oil may not be the best at first.
-Alum block: I like the RazoRock Alum Block.
-shaving mug: I would look for a vintage Old Spice mug here in the market place threads.

Just a few suggestions for you, your friend is lucky to have you looking out for him.

Frank

Another vote for the Proraso products. In addition to the creams they make a preshave and an aftershave which are very good IMHO and are not going to break the budget either.

Proraso = CO Bigelow from bath and body works. Good stuff, especially to super- or uber-lather.

+1 And you can usually get 3 for the pice of 2. It's really good stuff. I use it often and as I've said on other posts I alway mix a little cream on a soap loaded brush for a really great lather.

I use the Proraso pre-shave and post shave balm daily. Sometimes I switch the post shave to Geo. F. Trumper Sandalwood Skin Food.

Top Bottom