What's new

Gibbs No 15/17 Brass head w/ Chrome coating (and rarer Personna Precision)

This idea has been a rough drawing for a while. I had it as a holiday project.

The standard Gibbs handle is 12mm, I was looking for something a bit thicker and next size up is 14mm.

I made a new adjustment dial, the handle and the bottom piece.
I did quite a bit of fluting. The knurling is like double knurled and I doubt that I could repeat it if I tried.

It's 77mm long, so about Fatboy length, weight is 109,6grams

In the new year, I need to find a bead/crystal as the marker and I will probably Cerakote it

Fluted Gibbs.jpg Fluted Gibbs pieces.jpg

This idea has been a rough drawing for a while. I had it as a holiday project.

The standard Gibbs handle is 12mm, I was looking for something a bit thicker and next size up is 14mm.

I made a new adjustment dial, the handle and the bottom piece.
I did quite a bit of fluting. The knurling is like double knurled and I doubt that I could repeat it if I tried.

It's 77mm long, so about Fatboy length, weight is 109,6grams

In the new year, I need to find a bead/crystal as the marker and I will probably Cerakote it

View attachment 935902 View attachment 935903

Wow, absolutely amazing work. How do you like it? I prefer a fatter handle. What does this rebuild do to the balance and feel?

Wow, absolutely amazing work. How do you like it? I prefer a fatter handle. What does this rebuild do to the balance and feel?

Thanks SO.
I've been wanting to try a fatter handle for a while.
This handle shifts the balance of the razor close to the middle - probably around 6 or 7mm down.
I literally took it off my milling machine straight to the shower. My initial reaction is "Yes I like" but I do tend to prefer some weight on my razors

Just feeling it in hand it feels great and I'm shaving with mine tonight so I'll let you know my friend. Can't wait till the extended handle gets here as I'm curious how that will affect the balance.

Frank - We are all waiting for you to let us know, dont't keep us in suspense!!!

Well guys I just finished today's shave with both the standard handle Gibbs adjustables I have and one I put the brass handle on that Claudio aka @Clouds made for me. I did a 2 pass shave going WTG and XTG as I wanted to test the maneuverability with both razors and also just to compare how the extra weight feels. I tried to use the Vintage Gibbs Mince blades that I have but oh man were they harsh and they didn't last more than 3 or 4 strokes before I modified a couple of 3 times used Feathers I had handy. What a difference! Anyway the balance that the new handle brings to the razor is awesome. It feels like it belongs on there. The razor is not as top heavy which was never an issue with me as I was so used to it but after going back and forth with both razors I came to the conclusion that the heavier brass handle is a bonus and just gives the razor better balance overall. maneuverability was still as good as ever with both handles but I'll need more shaves in to see if one stands out from the other. I set both razors on 5 setting which is my go to for a daily shave and doing 2 passes I ended up with a nice BBS shave. Now I can't wait to get the longer handle and compare that to this new set up with the brass standard length handle. Here are a few photos of what I used in today's shave.

View attachment 936306

View attachment 936307

View attachment 936308

I look forward to your thoughts on the longer handle. I am happily waiting on mine to arrive in the mail in a few weeks.

Hi everyone, have you ever heard of Gibbs no. 15 - A4? Let me explain, I found one that has the word A on the baseplate, without the Gibbs brand and the number. Actually it has only the writing A4. What do you think?

Could you help me with this question? A4 printed on the base, without Gibbs brand or number 15? What do you think?

Can anyone tell me about the red marks on the ends of base plate and cap? On my Supreme they apparently indicate that the cap is on with the right orientation. I believe mine has a different gap for each side. Do the Gibbs have a different gap on each side?

Can anyone tell me about the red marks on the ends of base plate and cap? On my Supreme they apparently indicate that the cap is on with the right orientation. I believe mine has a different gap for each side. Do the Gibbs have a different gap on each side?
On the Normal (+/-) not the Reglable (Adjustable).

Well guys I just finished today's shave with both the standard handle Gibbs adjustables I have and one I put the brass handle on that Claudio aka @Clouds made for me. I did a 2 pass shave going WTG and XTG as I wanted to test the maneuverability with both razors and also just to compare how the extra weight feels. I tried to use the Vintage Gibbs Mince blades that I have but oh man were they harsh and they didn't last more than 3 or 4 strokes before I modified a couple of 3 times used Feathers I had handy. What a difference! Anyway the balance that the new handle brings to the razor is awesome. It feels like it belongs on there. The razor is not as top heavy which was never an issue with me as I was so used to it but after going back and forth with both razors I came to the conclusion that the heavier brass handle is a bonus and just gives the razor better balance overall. maneuverability was still as good as ever with both handles but I'll need more shaves in to see if one stands out from the other. I set both razors on 5 setting which is my go to for a daily shave and doing 2 passes I ended up with a nice BBS shave. Now I can't wait to get the longer handle and compare that to this new set up with the brass standard length handle. Here are a few photos of what I used in today's shave.

View attachment 936306

View attachment 936307

View attachment 936308
So I recently received my brass extended handle mod from @Clouds and have been using my Gibbs adjustable over the last week and I am very impressed. The (well knurled and grippy) handle and (brass) insert weigh approximately 40 gm which makes the entire razor weigh about 35 gm heavier. More importantly the handle is now 91.6 mm long which balances the very heavy Gibbs head. By my approximation this new length takes the razor's balance away from the head and places it at least a third down in the handle. As @Dragonsbeard noted this longer brass mod makes the Gibbs an extremely maneuverable tool similar to any higher end modern razor. As it is already an efficient and relatively smooth DE razor (see the shave off results) it now can compete with any of the higher quality stainless razors. I can appreciate its visible similarities to the modern Rex but with this mod I personally see no reason to try the Rex. If you can get a good deal on the Gibbs then this brass mod is a definite upgrade.

So I recently received my brass extended handle mod from @Clouds and have been using my Gibbs adjustable over the last week and I am very impressed. The (well knurled and grippy) handle and (brass) insert weigh approximately 40 gm which makes the entire razor weigh about 35 gm heavier. More importantly the handle is now 91.6 mm long which balances the very heavy Gibbs head. By my approximation this new length takes the razor's balance away from the head and places it at least a third down in the handle. As @Dragonsbeard noted this longer brass mod makes the Gibbs an extremely maneuverable tool similar to any higher end modern razor. As it is already an efficient and relatively smooth DE razor (see the shave off results) it now can compete with any of the higher quality stainless razors. I can appreciate its visible similarities to the modern Rex but with this mod I personally see no reason to try the Rex. If you can get a good deal on the Gibbs then this brass mod is a definite upgrade.
Mine is on the way :)

Going through a box of early buys from my RAD cycle over the weekend and found a Gibbs 15/17 in there. Can't recall exactly when I got it but pretty sure it was an eBay lot buy. I know I did not pay much for it wherever it came from. If I'd been in the same buying spot now as I was then it wouldn't have happened. Geez have they climbed in price!

Anyways, trimmed up a bus station* blade and tried it out this morning. Did not notch it, just trimmed off the edges. A bit too short but once aligned and tightened it stayed put. Started on 1 but quickly moved near N. Just below N it seemed about on par with my Merkur 23C. At 4 it began to bite so I left it roughly in between (3.5?). Wow, a truly great shave from it. The only downside is the handle is a bit short and the balance a bit top heavy. I can make a solution that should fit both though and likely will because it is a joy to use. The vernier as opposed to click adjust a great thing. Wish I'd remembered that I had it sooner! (i iz idiot)

proxy.php

*The blade is a single-pack chrome Eversharp (Schick). I believe these were sold from vending machines at bus stations, airports, bowling alleys, etc. I bought a trash bag full of them cheap, probably 800 or so. A few years back I sold off half of my RAD buys and would put ~20 in gratis. Started getting requests for more and decided to try them out. Subjectively they seem a better than the Astras I like. Should have tried these blades sooner too.

Suggestion put a Polsilver, Kai or Feather in there and it will be a whole different shaving experience! It should be butter smooth on all settings. Nice example btw!

At some point I definitely will. Have been wanting to try 2 of those anyway as I have not yet done so.

The keeper pile has been trimmed down a lot but the Gibbs is not in it after today's experience.

Top Bottom