What's new

Gibbs No 15/17 Brass head w/ Chrome coating (and rarer Personna Precision)

Clouds would have a better idea then me, but I'd worry about the strength of anything thin enough to fit through the baseplate and threaded. You could use weld/glue, but then you may end up with a cleaning nightmare.
Yep probably so. Some things are more of a challenge rebuilding than starting from scratch, but Clouds will get this going right.

For those of you that trim the edges of the blade, here is a cheap solution for centering those blades.
Developed by Fabien in France - it works great. Its up on Thingiverse, so warm those 3D printers up.

Gibbs Blade Centering Plugs

Capture.JPG

Thanks Claudio for posting.
For those of you who understand french, you can read the thread on rasage-traditionnel.
If you have some questions do not hesitate, I will do my best to follow this post.

And on a slightly different note, is there a trick to getting the handle off? From the disassembly pictures, it appears to be threaded to the base plate, but mine just spins. Brute force seems like a bad idea.

And on a slightly different note, is there a trick to getting the handle off? From the disassembly pictures, it appears to be threaded to the base plate, but mine just spins. Brute force seems like a bad idea.
You may have one that does not come apart. Easiest way to tell is measure the two tabs on the side and if they are the same size it's one of those that doesn't come apart.

If you have a really old one like mine (More rounded head aesthetics), it has a “Yoke” which is inserted into a hole of which is attached to the inside barrel of the handle. Mine pulls straight off. I’ll take pics when I get home later because I don’t want you to break yours.

My newer ones, more angular in head aesthetics just threads onto the handle.

I took a couple pictures of my old boy. It looks like the thirties advertisement posters so I think it may date back to that time. The handle pulls straight off and does not thread on. Besides being a little more curvy than my other Gibbs adjustables and the adjustment dial being more round, one thing you need to do is loosen the knob to adjust the settings. Don’t have to do this with my other Gibbs that are threaded on. Not a big deal and I really don’t think about it.

As you can see, it has a replacement handle. It looks like they just fit the
brass grommet which accepts the “Yoke” into the new handle. The grommet looks ancient and fits the yoke very tight so I’m sure it was original unlike the handle itself.

I did not have the handle replaced myself as it was done prior to my getting it from a member here. I think the handle work was done by Frugal Shave based on the design. I think the member whom I had purchased it mentioned that he sent the razor out
to be done.

I am assuming they did not cut the yoke for the handle replacement but since this is the only one I have like this, I can’t be 100% sure it wasn’t cut. Maybe if someone has another like my old boy, they can weigh in. I don’t want to tell you to try and pull it straight out if I’m wrong and it was cut/modified. If someone knows the owner of FrugalShave, maybe they can ask him to verify. I guess you could also remove the knob, shine a flashlight down the handle and see if the yoke goes straight through the opposite side of the grommet hole without being crimped on the other end.

Attachments

• 3FA81D0F-261C-4769-9493-823DEF3CC8E3.jpeg
    3FA81D0F-261C-4769-9493-823DEF3CC8E3.jpeg
    871.2 KB · Views: 15
  • 63BD773A-F2C9-4B16-B310-89DB64B08355.jpeg
    63BD773A-F2C9-4B16-B310-89DB64B08355.jpeg
    802.5 KB · Views: 15
  • E611E6F6-5B13-41B9-8652-C73448B36CD5.jpeg
    E611E6F6-5B13-41B9-8652-C73448B36CD5.jpeg
    480.7 KB · Views: 15
@THall - Yours is also one of those that wasn't made to come apart.
If you look at your adjuster plate both the bent over tabs are the same size so it can actually go on both ways. The reference bead in the middle of the dial is also another indicator although not a foolproof one.

If yours does dismantle completely, someone has done a great job on the fix.

Thanks, mine may be one not designed to come apart, the barrel spins but doesn’t appear to be threaded, or come off spinning either way.

The handle of the one I posted in the pictures above does not thread off either and the handle can spin also when the knob is loosened. I remove my handle by simply pulling it down, not turning. If ours are the same design, yours should come off the same way. At the same time, my only concern is the possibility that mine was modified/cut on the end of that yoke/shaft so that it can be pulled off. I don’t want you damaging yours trying unless someone else can chime in and verify that theirs can be pulled off like mine also.

If you look at your adjuster plate both the bent over tabs are the same size so it can actually go on both ways. The reference bead in the middle of the dial is also another indicator although not a foolproof one.

That is wild, thanks for the info. I would assume that FrugalShave did it. I’ll have to contact them to see if that was the case. You are correct, the tabs are the same size unlike the other Gibbs adjustables I got for my sons.

So the end of that yoke originally was crimped after the grommet?

The handle of the one I posted in the pictures above does not thread off either and the handle can spin also when the knob is loosened. I remove my handle by simply pulling it down, not turning. If ours are the same design, yours should come off the same way. At the same time, my only concern is the possibility that mine was modified/cut on the end of that yoke/shaft so that it can be pulled off. I don’t want you damaging yours trying unless someone else can chime in and verify that theirs can be pulled off like mine also.

Claudio cleared things up. Disregard my other comments, mine was modified.

That is wild, thanks for the info. I would assume that FrugalShave did it. I’ll have to contact them to see if that was the case. You are correct, the tabs are the same size unlike my other Gibbs adjustables I got for my sons.

So the end of that yoke originally was crimped after the grommet?
Its unlikely that he did the metal work, but whoever did most likely send him the insert and he printed the handle around it. Yours could have been one that "luckily fell apart" and thats how they got the grommet - I don't know.

The one that I converted to use standard blades is also one and before I started drilling it to dismantle it I did quite a bit of searching but haven't come up with exactly how Gibbs assembled them.

Its unlikely that he did the metal work, but whoever did most likely send him the insert and he printed the handle around it. Yours could have been one that "luckily fell apart" and thats how they got the grommet - I don't know.

The one that I converted to use standard blades is also one and before I started drilling it to dismantle it I did quite a bit of searching but haven't come up with exactly how Gibbs assembled them.

Here is mine dismantled completely. Again, great info, thanks!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 14
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 14

Quick question for you. If someone asked you for one of your handles the way mine is set up, would you insert that grommet into one of your brass handles or fabricate the same size hole?

I was the previous owner of @THall s. razor and Frugal Shave was sent the razor whole. He dismantled it and did a wonderful job, I think. I also didn't understand how it was to come apart because the handle with just spin also.

Thanks Claudio for posting.
For those of you who understand french, you can read the thread on rasage-traditionnel.
If you have some questions do not hesitate, I will do my best to follow this post.

I read Rasage-Traditionnel using Chrome's built-in translator - works quite well. It's a wonderful site.

Top Bottom