What's new

Giant wood moth - Australia

jackgoldman123

Boring and predictable
1620416734078.png

This particular species is operated by a 3 man crew; pilot, co-pilot, and navigator.

Don't mind bugs generally, unless they fall into this category of being crew-served. Lot's of spiders like that, too.

Legion

Staff member
Looks like a big Bogon moth. Where I lived when I was younger would occasionally be inundated with them, when they migrated wherever they were going.

They are apparently quite tasty, though I can't say I've ever tried one. From Wikipedia;

Bogong moths were historically used as a food source by Aboriginal peoples located in South-eastern Australia.[18] Groups would travel to the area towards the summits of mountains to harvest moths, where they also met with other Aboriginal peoples, fostering inter-tribal relations as people gathered and feasted during these harvests.[3] They would go into the caves and scrape aestivating moths off the walls into nets and dishes using sticks.[18] Once gathered, the moths would be roasted to remove the scales and wings and then either eaten immediately or ground into a paste and made into "moth meat" cakes that would last and could be taken home.[18][11] The moth was said to have a nice nutty flavour that was most similar to walnuts or almonds

Top Bottom