What's new

GFT Sandalwood Shaving Cream compared to TOBS?

I am a big fan of TOBS Sandalwood shaving cream. I like the way it lathers and performs. I like the scent, but I still like the scent of Proraso Red the best. To me Proraso has a more "woodsy" scent to it. Anyhow, I was just wondering if any of you guys could give me your opinion on G F Trumper Shaving cream? Thank you.

The GFT Sandalwood is a very lightly (lighter then the TOBS), but a smoky/woody-scented cream. The nice thing about it is that it doesn't have any hint of cedar in it.

two completely different takes on sandalwood

I have TOBS sandalwood cream and GFT sandalwood cologne. To me, GFT is the best of the two, by far. It uses true sandalwood oil and has a herbal / woody smell that is just wonderful.
TOBS is much more flower-y and perfum-ey, and feels too synthetic to me compared to Trumper’s.

I’ve used old AoS sandalwood soap, Proraso red, and other sandalwood scents. Frankly, I don’t get any sandalwood smell from TOBS

if You like Proraso red, Trumper’s is closer to it than TOBS, but it’s more complex, not just pure straight sandalwood

The GFT Sandalwood is a very lightly (lighter then the TOBS), but a smoky/woody-scented cream. The nice thing about it is that it doesn't have any hint of cedar in it.
Thanks. I tried the TOBS Cedar, and I don't really care for the scent. I have tried the GFT Sandalwood Skinfood, and I love the scent. That is why I was wondering about the shaving cream.

Sir Panzermeister, I can agree with your fondness of TOBS sandalwood!
I might have had a sample of GFT sandalwood cream, but apparently it wasn't earth-shaking.
Let me suggest that you get samples of sandalwoods from Art of Shaving and T&H, both really excellent, IMHO.
How would you say their performance is compared to TOBS ?

two completely different takes on sandalwood

I have TOBS sandalwood cream and GFT sandalwood cologne. To me, GFT is the best of the two, by far. It uses true sandalwood oil and has a herbal / woody smell that is just wonderful.
TOBS is much more flower-y and perfum-ey, and feels too synthetic to me compared to Trumper’s.

I’ve used old AoS sandalwood soap, Proraso red, and other sandalwood scents. Frankly, I don’t get any sandalwood smell from TOBS

if You like Proraso red, Trumper’s is closer to it than TOBS, but it’s more complex, not just pure straight sandalwood
I guess I am just gonna have to try it. My disorder demands it ! 😁

Thanks. I tried the TOBS Cedar, and I don't really care for the scent. I have tried the GFT Sandalwood Skinfood, and I love the scent. That is why I was wondering about the shaving cream.

The cream smells different then the skin food. The skinfood is heavy and sweet, where as the cream is light and smoky/woody. The skinfood is how their cologne used to smell like too, but it seems to have been reformulated to smell more like cinnamon gum?

I'd vote for Trumper as a better sandalwood scent than TOBS. Proraso Red uses real sandalwood oil, while the others are cologne scents. Trumper sandalwood skin food is great too. So is Proraso Red aftershave, which is very thick and moisturizing for a splash.

I was disappointed by TOBS sandalwood and much preferred their Cedarwood scent. I’ve got a sample of the GFT Spanish leather skin food which is amazing. GFT definitely seems to have great scents though I don’t have any experience with their creams.

The cream smells different then the skin food. The skinfood is heavy and sweet, where as the cream is light and smoky/woody. The skinfood is how their cologne used to smell like too, but it seems to have been reformulated to smell more like cinnamon gum?
Thanks everyone for your input. I would agree that the GFT Sandalwood Skinfood does not really smell like sandalwood. I don't normally like most sweet scents, however, I do like the smell of their Skinfood. I do like smoky/woody type scents.

I was disappointed by TOBS sandalwood and much preferred their Cedarwood scent. I’ve got a sample of the GFT Spanish leather skin food which is amazing. GFT definitely seems to have great scents though I don’t have any experience with their creams.
It is funny how everyone is different. I like the TOBS Sandalwood much better than the Cedarwood. Thanks for making my disorder worse. Now I am thinking about getting some GFT Spanish Leather myself!

I found that at times it had a burnt ash smell to it and other times it smelled ok. I find TBOS much better, but AoS and Proraso are the best in class IMO.

I would definitely take Spanish Leather over GFT's sandalwood.

When I moved I discovered I had a small tub of GFT Sandalwood that had not been used in at least seven years. There was only a small amount of cream left. It had solidified and was closer to croap than a cream. It smelled fine and when I used it the performance was great. I was impressed that it was as good as it was considering it went unused after so many years.

When I moved I discovered I had a small tub of GFT Sandalwood that had not been used in at least seven years. There was only a small amount of cream left. It had solidified and was closer to croap than a cream. It smelled fine and when I used it the performance was great. I was impressed that it was as good as it was considering it went unused after so many years.

The GFT Sandalwood range is wonderful all across the board: bath soap, deodorant (which actually works very well for me), shaving cream, skin food and cologne. Creamy and citrusy sandalwood.

Top Bottom