What's new

GFT Rose vs. TOBS Rose

I like Rose shaving creams and have used TOBS Rose in the past a few times but not in quite a while. Decided to get a sample of GFT Rose to compare against TOBS and decide which one I will buy a tub of and use regularly. Used GFT Rose yesterday and it was excellent, doubt I could get a better, more enjoyable shave.

Used TOBS Rose today and found the shave to be basically on par with GFT. GFT was marginally a nicer scent and marginally a

Thanks, but looks like my discussion was cut off, probably user error. To finish what I started...

GFT was marginally a nicer scent and marginally a better after shave face feel. Difficult to choose which one to buy a tub of and I guess the answer will be to buy both? Thoughts on which you like better or others I should try before I make a final decision.

I eventually bought TOBS rose after the same comparison. I like the scent better. Otha fine choices.

I haven't tried any others, but the scent of Trumper's Rose cream is something special -- earthy and complex. Trumper's Rose soap, although excellent, is not quite the same experience.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
For me T&H wins over both GFT and Taylors for the best Rose scented cream among the famous "3 T's". As always, IMHO.

I love TOBS rose cream. I wish I could find a true Rose aftershave splash besides D.R. Harris "pink" aftershave. It's too expensive for a scent that mildly lasts about 30 seconds. Total bummer with that one. (I'm open to other suggestions if ya'll have any).

I sure wish Pinaud would bring back "Le Fleur de France" Rose aftershave splash. (Or maybe it was an EdC, I can't remember anymore). I've emailed them a dozen or more times and they never even reply back.

So until then, the Swiss Pitralon will have to suffice after the TOBS Rose cream. They compliment each other nicely.

I wish I could find a true Rose aftershave splash besides D.R. Harris "pink" aftershave. It's too expensive for a scent that mildly lasts about 30 seconds. Total bummer with that one. (I'm open to other suggestions if ya'll have any).
Czech & Speake No.88 is largely (dark) rose; very nice scent, IMO. (Quality of ingredients is top-notch.)

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
What @ask4Edge said, but they also make fragrance which you should be using for longevity vs an aftershave. They have rose (bourbon) and dark rose (Bulgarian). I've sampled the dark rose and it is good stuff.

These are not cheap, coming from a company that sells $1500 faucets and $3000 warming towel racks, but the scent has quality and will last. Decants are available.

Tom Ford Cafe Rose is an excellent light daytime rose (and I don't care for most of his 'constructions'), and Guerlain Rose Barbare is a good heavier but classic scent.

Cheers, Steve

Czech & Speake No.88 is largely (dark) rose; very nice scent, IMO. (Quality of ingredients is top-notch.)
^^^ I'll look into that, thanks!!!!

What @ask4Edge said, but they also make fragrance which you should be using for longevity vs an aftershave. They have rose (bourbon) and dark rose (Bulgarian). I've sampled the dark rose and it is good stuff.

These are not cheap, coming from a company that sells $1500 faucets and $3000 warming towel racks, but the scent has quality and will last. Decants are available.

Tom Ford Cafe Rose is an excellent light daytime rose (and I don't care for most of his 'constructions'), and Guerlain Rose Barbare is a good heavier but classic scent.

Cheers, Steve
^^^ Good stuff! Thank you very much!

My preference is the GFT Rose in the cream department. There are some amazing rose scented soaps as well if you are interested in soaps.

Anyone know how the two Rose scents compare?

Wow, resurrection of old thread!!

TBCH, I've never met a rose cream or soap that I didn't like!!

roses.jpg

I have used all the Rose creams listed above. I have achieved excellent shaves with all of the ones listed above; however, for my beard, I prefer the TOBS rose for its shaving performance.

I just pulled the trigger on a container of Geo F Trumpers Rose in the tub. I'm really looking forward to it, I enjoyed how rich and dense the TOBS Sandalwood was, so maybe this will be a similar experience. I'm a fan of rose and lavender scents, I already have about a quarter bottle left of Razorock King Louis Lavender aftershave, but once I burn that up I'm going to order a bottle of Fine Lavender Pour Homme.

Soap Commander "Love" is the best rose soap I've ever tried. It's pure and natural. You can buy organic rose water in spray bottles from Amazon that provides a mellow long lasting scent for AS. Sometimes I'll follow with a spritz of sandalwood AS like Fine Santal Absolute. That's a nice combination.

I do like TOBS rose though. TOBS has come way down in price in the US.

I just pulled the trigger on a container of Geo F Trumpers Rose in the tub. I'm really looking forward to it, I enjoyed how rich and dense the TOBS Sandalwood was, so maybe this will be a similar experience. I'm a fan of rose and lavender scents, I already have about a quarter bottle left of Razorock King Louis Lavender aftershave, but once I burn that up I'm going to order a bottle of Fine Lavender Pour Homme.
Hi andromeda673, what did you think to the GFT Rose cream? I’ve almost used up my TOBS Sandalwood and already use the GFT Coral Skinfood, so it should be a good match I would think. That and some Rose Thayers I still use too! lol. (Rich)

I'm a huge fan of it actually.....it smells really good, lightly earthy but yet floral and good. It's not a lavender, it's a straight up rose scent, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Top Bottom