What's new

GF wants a lighter razor

Ok guys, my GF is currently using a Merkur 180 handle with a Merkur 1904 head. She's looking for something lighter. I was thinking maybe the Merkur 45 as it's made of Bakelite, but I figured I'd check here to see if y'all had any suggestions. I'll be checking this thread periodically until tax return time when we'll make a final decision.

Well? What do y'all think?

Gillette Blue Tip Superspeed, or Lady Gillette Blue/Pink Star. With the caveat that a woman might be grossed out at the prospect of using a second hand razor.

Last edited:
I bought my girlfriend a blue star and she likes it.

Are the Gillette Knacks any good? They have a plastic handle that's also longer. And seem to be pretty inexpensive.

I have both a Knack and an English Slim Twist and both are good shavers. I would compare them to the later Super Speeds.

A Feather Popular is mostly made of plastic, with the essential parts made of metal. Its still a high quality unit, despite the low price.

A Feather Popular is mostly made of plastic, with the essential parts made of metal. Its still a high quality unit, despite the low price.

Agreed - I didn't like the plastic, but if your girlfriend wants plastic then it's a very reasonable option to try.

I have a 45 and its a beast! I think the aggressiveness comes from the angle the blade is held rather than the gap. think wrapping a blade on a quarter angle.

But if you do go for it I'll throw this out IMHO, the 45 has a raised line (like a mold line) rubs you when used feels scratchy, I sanded mine down with 800 grit sandpaper to give the bar a better skin feel.

Thanks guys! We'll have to do some looking at these! She's ok with a "pre-owned" razor. We've talked about it before. If necessary, we can clean it up an / or have it restored.

Another vote for the Lord L6. I just got one this week. The aluminum handle is on the longer side and pretty light. It delivered a very nice shave for a $12 razor.

How about Wilkinson Sword Classic DE Razor?
It's light and mild.

This is what my wife settled on. My Krona was getting surface rust because she leaves it in the shower. I PIF'd my Wilki to her and she is fine with it. Light and all plastic except for the decorative sleeve

Top Bottom