What's new

GF is off to China, what is there for me?

Hi Guys,

My GF is off to HK soon, possibly venturing to 'proper' China, what products are there she could look for, blades razors etc.? I'd be happy with some blades, but she'd like to know roughly what to ask for before she goes......

ATB,
Tom

In general the chinese have very little in the way of beards, so I think that getting shaving products will be a long shot. I think that they are into making badger knots, because have badgers and the skills to do it.

Good luck.

My brother just got back from China, but he stayed mostly to the smaller villages (population 500 thousand or less:wink:) The only thing he came across was some of the plastic handle Gillettes, and he found them in a little gas station in Inner Mongolia. They aren't bad razors, and cheap enough that he picked up two, one to use and one to keep in the packaging.
I hope your girl friend has better luck!

In general, I don't think there will be many great finds. The most likely thing to pick up would be a DE razor like the Weishi.

Thanks guys, I thought as much as her dad doesn't really need to shave (I'm thinking more habit than necessity :) ). But am hopeful she may see something :)

Strange how Japan, has lots and China comparitively has little..... bizarre.

Weishi, that's the damn name I was thinking of! Thanks :) Been racking my brain all day to think of that! :)

ATB,
Tom

Thanks guys, I thought as much as her dad doesn't really need to shave (I'm thinking more habit than necessity :) ). But am hopeful she may see something :)

Strange how Japan, has lots and China comparitively has little..... bizarre.

Weishi, that's the damn name I was thinking of! Thanks :) Been racking my brain all day to think of that! :)

ATB,
Tom

Most of the Japanese and Korean males that I have encountered have fuller beards and are generally hairier than the Chinese males I've encountered. This is by no means empirical evidence, but just something I've noticed.

IMHO, the Chinese-made Gillette blue DE blades you get there are slightly better than the "Swedes" (which are out of production) and WAY better than the Gillette 7:00 blades. When I go to China I bring back 15-20 packages of them.

Also, at least in Beijing, there are many Chinese pre-shaves, after-shaves and face creams intended to deal with the bad effects of winds from the Gobi and other dry regions. The ones made with snake gall bladder seem to be popular -- they are hard to get in the US :)

Electric razors are the norm in China -- every street stall seems to sell dozens, often very cheap (I have no experience with them). The best indication of the quality may be that several well-off Chinese whom I know talk about scoring high-quality European electrics when they travel.

So gillette blues are on the shopping list then :) Cool :)

Snake Gall Bladder!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

LOL

Must admit never really had cause to check out males that much, most of my experience has been with girls ;-) :biggrin: Although chatting with a few mates, it's seems correct, very odd. None of them sadly have any relatives 'abroad' that they can phone/email and ask......

Thanks guys,
Tom

Electric razors are the norm in China -- every street stall seems to sell dozens, often very cheap (I have no experience with them). The best indication of the quality may be that several well-off Chinese whom I know talk about scoring high-quality European electrics when they travel.

Well than this is at least one thing that hasn't changed in the decade or so since I spent much time in Beijing. Department stores had tons of electric razors back then.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
You could probably get some Nacet razor blades. They are stamped "Made in Shanghai". How good? No idea I haven't reached them yet.

attachment.php

Other than that, in the review I saw potential candidates, we have
Flagfish blades: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=93013
Flying eagle - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=93010
Nacet - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=16549
Gillette Rubie - http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=15242

I think I saw somewhere that you could get Godej shaving cream for cheap over there...

I LOVE the Chinese Gillette Super Blue blades. I visited my sister in Qingdao a couple years ago and that was the best of my finds. I found them in an import grocery store (Carrefour). There were also some German-made Wilkinson blades (in a red package) which seem to me to be the same as the ones I can find here. And I got a couple 3-piece Gillette razors in the same place as the blue blades.

In some markets I saw a few no-name TTO and 3-piece razors, but they were really cheaply made - all plastic with bad chrome paint/coloring - and way too expensive for what you got.

Stock up on them blues!

Mike

IMHO, the Chinese-made Gillette blue DE blades you get there are slightly better than the "Swedes" (which are out of production) and WAY better than the Gillette 7:00 blades. When I go to China I bring back 15-20 packages of them.

Also, at least in Beijing, there are many Chinese pre-shaves, after-shaves and face creams intended to deal with the bad effects of winds from the Gobi and other dry regions. The ones made with snake gall bladder seem to be popular -- they are hard to get in the US :)

Top Bottom