What's new

Gettysburg trip

I'm not a great photographer by any stretch of the imagination, but I took a trip to Gettysburg this month and was so moved that I had to post some pictures. I have been wanting to go to Gettysburg for years. It was so much more awe inspiring then I ever expected.

Monument in the National Cemetery, site of Lincoln's famous speech:
full

On Seminary Ridge with guns facing east toward the Union line at Cemetery Ridge.
full

I'm a Union boy, and even though I don't agree with the Confederate Cause, something like this does cause me to admire their courage.
full

This picture is taken from the staging point of Pickett's division and is the starting point for his part of the ill fated charge that bears his name. Almost directly down the middle of this field is the Angle, the ultimate destination for the charge. I walked this section and let me tell you, it's a pretty long walk. I can't even imagine what it must have taken to make that walk while taking heavy fire from the Union lines.
full

Picture of me standing on top of a boulder in Devil's Den and facing toward Little Round top. That monument on the right side of the pic is to the New York division that was on the hill.
full

The Irish Brigade Monument not far from Devil's Den.
full

No trip to Gettysburg could be complete without a picture of the 20th Maine Monument.
full

This picture is taken from the Union line on Cemetery Ridge looking out towards the infamous Bloody Angle.
full

This picture is taken from the Angle again, but the two paths beyond the stone wall shows the path of Pickett's division, the left path, and Isaac Trimble's Division, the right path. I just thought it was neat how they showed you where each Division was.
full

Last edited by a moderator:
That was interesting. I've always wanted to go east and see the sites of our nation's history. Nothing like actually standing on the very spot!

Great photos. I've never been but my parents were there a few years ago, they said it was very moving.

Have you read any historical books of the battle?

I'd also recommend a visit to Antietam Battlefield for travelers interested in the Civil War. The Park Service does a great job with its presentations there, and the entire area is relatively unchanged from the 1860's.

Great photos. I've never been but my parents were there a few years ago, they said it was very moving.

Have you read any historical books of the battle?

Not really, I’ve read some articles on the battle, and read a little about them in various Civil War History books, but I have never gotten too in depth. However, after going and actually seeing the battlefield I now want to read as much as I can, not only about this battle, but about the war in general. The trip was just so awesome. It’s very hard to describe the feeling of standing in a place where tens of thousands of Americans died fighting each other. It was very, very somber and moving.

I'd also recommend a visit to Antietam Battlefield for travelers interested in the Civil War. The Park Service does a great job with its presentations there, and the entire area is relatively unchanged from the 1860's.

Oh yes, I will hit this battlefield soon as well. I talked to my Dad about this trip to Gettysburg (he is a big Civil War buff) and he and I are going to try and take a trip next year to both Gettysburg and Antietam, and maybe try to hit some other battle sites that are near by.

Great post Boogie. I've been to a few sites down in VA, but haven't made to G'burg. A trip I just have to make.

Jordan

Boogie, Great job:clap: I was at Gettysburg last year and it was truly a great day. Great pics. Thanks for sharing.:badger:

Top Bottom