What's new

Getting wrinkles out of a worsted jacket

This is probably an obvious question to most of y'all, but as this is the first nice blazer I've had... I got it shipped to me, and while it did come in a nice, big box, it was folded and inside a garment bag. So it's got some wrinkles (in the sleeves, especially). I hung it up to see if gravity would straighten it out a bit, but what's the best way to take care of the rest? Just "steam" it with the iron while it's hanging? Thanks for the help, men (and women, if applicable).

This is probably an obvious question to most of y'all, but as this is the first nice blazer I've had... I got it shipped to me, and while it did come in a nice, big box, it was folded and inside a garment bag. So it's got some wrinkles (in the sleeves, especially). I hung it up to see if gravity would straighten it out a bit, but what's the best way to take care of the rest? Just "steam" it with the iron while it's hanging? Thanks for the help, men (and women, if applicable).

I get that pretty often when packing for business trips. I usually just hang the blazer in the bathroom, usually there is a hook behind the door. and just turn the water on as hot as possible. close the door and let the whole room steam up for 30-45 min then I grab the blazer and let it sit out for a couple hours outside of the bathroom on a chair or something and it usually gets rid of most wrinkles.

Well, while I've seen a couple pages that say you shouldn't "steam" a jacket in the bathroom (mainly here and there), I just didn't want to have to get it professionally pressed before I even got to wear it... So I hung it up in the bathroom and turned the shower on as hot as it could go with the door closed. The wrinkles definitely fell right out! I didn't notice any "blown seams" or lack of shape to the stucture of the jacket, so hopefully no damage was done. But wise or not, hanging a blazer in a steamy bathroom is definitely a surefire way to get out those last stubborn wrinkles that won't fall out just from gravity!

Be careful. Steaming can wreck it. Putting in the bathroom is generally not a good idea and if you want to steam do it locally with an iron.

Getting it professionally pressed before you wear it is generall de rigeur, so I'm not sure why you'd be opposed to it.

I tend to use steam iron for these things. Of course, I won't iron those out like ironing a shirt, but I keep the jacket/blazer on a hanger while doing the ironing. Usually just the sleeves and back, just barely touching the fabric, letting the steam do it's job.

That said, I only have wool blazers and jackets, so I'm not sure how polyester, elasthan or similar might react. Probably not too hard, as it's quite a light treatment.

Top Bottom