What's new

Getting the feel

So, now i am the proud owner of an Edwin Jagger de89, The Mach 3 is gone. I also have a yuma razor I have got two 5 blade packs of derbys, 5 blade pack of feathers, 5 blade pack supermax stainless and 5 Hema blades.
Proraso green and Tabac shaving creams, omega boar brush, alum block and nivea sensitive and vergulde hand post shave balms.

I have settled for starting with the proraso cream, and the derby blades. I thougt it best to stick with the same setup till i get the feel for the right technique. So i will stick with the proraso and derbys till i run out of blades. So far, first shave went great. Seccond and third caused quite a lot of small nicks on my neck. Fourth went better. Fifth went exelent.

I like the cream. Scent is nice. Easy to lather on my face. The derby blades feel nice and smooth. But cannot be the sharpest blades. They lack some cutting edge. Brush feels nice, getting better every shave. The vergulde hand after shave balm is not for me. Smell is too soapy. Feel on the skin is ok. Nivea sensitive feels realy nice and cooling.

I actualy find myself longing for the next shave. And also hope the derbys run out quick....

Anyone have any exp with Hema blades?

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ALE-L21 met Tapatalk

Not with the Hema blades, but I like Voskhod, Ladas and perma sharp. Maybe you can buy samples with different blades, which some shaving shop vendors and also ebay vendors offer. You have to find the blade which suits your skin the best. Everyone is different.

If you are hoping to run out of a blade but looking forward to the next shave tells me you are not liking the blade you are using. I using a DE January of last year and even though I found a great blade, actually two, half way into the year last year I had this idea there was something better and spent most of last year going through samples of blades that just felt bad. Everyone has there blade and everyone is different so a blade that works for one may not work for you. If Derby's don't feel that great set them aside and move on and try them again another day. You have a soap that you seem to like and that helps to find a blade quicker if you can take that out of the mix. Get yourself a blade sampler, I suggest you find one that has blades from different countries.

I went through a bunch of blades and I seem to be the opposite of most here. I just could not get along with Voskhod, Personna Red and the generic ones that some grocery stores carry, and Rapira were some of the worst blades and couldn't get through one shave with them. Astra SP, Sharp, Super Max, Derby were some of the just okay shaves but not like I would likely never buy them again. I found Feather, Perma Sharp, Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum(black box), Wilkinson Sword(India) to be decent blades. My Top 2 blades are Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp(India) and Wilkinson Sword Classic(Germany, not the ones in the blue blister pack that don't have "Classic" in the name. they are not good).

It will take time to find the one you like. Hope you find it.

Great start, keep it going but don't feel compelled to stay with the Derby blades. There are far better blades to use.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. Sorry, but I have never used Hema blades. In fact, I've never even heard of them.

Welcome to B&B. The Edwin Jagger is a good razor but may I suggest you try two of each blade and return to them later. Your technique will improve and you may have a different view of a blade once your lather and technique are established. There are many blades out there so get a few samples. I do not wish to cloud your judgement at this stage because views on blades and razors are subjective. Just enjoy your shaves and remember you have left the dark side.:001_302:

Seems like you're doing well. Welcome to B&B and I hope you enjoy your stay here. Once you have technique down you may want to scoot over to tryablade.com ow whatever to try other blades.

Welcome aboard! You have some great kit! I have no experience with Hemas so no opinion on those.

Welcome to B&B. The Edwin Jagger is a good razor but may I suggest you try two of each blade and return to them later. Your technique will improve and you may have a different view of a blade once your lather and technique are established. There are many blades out there so get a few samples. I do not wish to cloud your judgement at this stage because views on blades and razors are subjective. Just enjoy your shaves and remember you have left the dark side.:001_302:

Welcome, and keep at it! Invicta is right. It took me about 3 months to feel like I had my technique down. Now that I can handle a DE better, some of my opinions of blades have changed. Can't speak to Hemas, though.

I had planned to stick to exactly the same things, blades, razor, soap and brush, until i have the technique down. Then, when i change something, the blade for instance, and something feels different i know it is the blade and not my ****ty technique.

I had planned to stick to exactly the same things, blades, razor, soap and brush, until i have the technique down. Then, when i change something, the blade for instance, and something feels different i know it is the blade and not my ****ty technique.

You are a wiser man than I. I jumped around too much at first and it was hard to nail down any issues I had. Sounds like you are doing great.

I agree that, although you're still learning (aren't we all?), it's not too soon to try a different blade at this point. I also agree that it wouldn't hurt to come back to a blade in the future that you thought was just so-so. You might have a different opinion in the future. My favorite blade is Feather. I'd give that one a try.

I agree with changing to a different blade as others have suggested. I have been DE'ing for a little over 3 months.
I have tried to use a Gillette Silver Blue many times. 5 different razors spread out over a couple of months.
I bought 100 packs from 2 different vendors recommended by people. I have tried many from each lot.
Every shave is horrible with GSB for me. They beat the snot out of my face, yet people rave about them.
PolSilvers, 7 O'clock Yellows, Nacet, Personna Reds, and KAI work great for me so I know it is not totally me.
Good luck in your adventure!

I agree with changing to a different blade as others have suggested. I have been DE'ing for a little over 3 months.
I have tried to use a Gillette Silver Blue many times. 5 different razors spread out over a couple of months.
I bought 100 packs from 2 different vendors recommended by people. I have tried many from each lot.
Every shave is horrible with GSB for me. They beat the snot out of my face, yet people rave about them.
PolSilvers, 7 O'clock Yellows, Nacet, Personna Reds, and KAI work great for me so I know it is not totally me.
Good luck in your adventure!

I had the same experience with Voskhod. I bought a 100 blade lot since it is all the rave here. At least it was a cheap lesson. 16 months of DE shaving and found a couple in the beginning but had to still search for the holy grail which I already had. Gillette 7 o'clock Permasharp is my main blade and Wilkinson Sword Classic is the other. I have a few Feather, Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum, and Perma Sharp, but once these are gone it will only be the 2 in my little storage box.

Welcome aboard!

I agree with OP, best to stick with one set-up until your technique is solid. Then change things up. This approach is likely to save time in the long run!

Top Bottom