What's new

Getting the best second cup of tea

Hi,

I've been drinking tea exclusively for a couple years now. And embarrassingly enough, I can never seem to make a good, (even OK second infusion). It always tastes thin and often bitter.

How do you masters of tea get that second good cup?

Bluewing

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
What are you brewing? Many whites and greens are only good for a single steeping, while most oblongs and puehrs do well for multiple infusions.

Do you mean brewing a second cup after brewing a first single cup; or making "pots' of tea?

I make a large pot for my family and I, then the second and third cups are just as good as the first. I use a thick cosy to keep the pot warm.

Hi,

Sorry about not being very clear.

I'm talking about making a second infusion from once steeped leaves. I primarily drink Darjeeling teas. I'm just testing out some Oolongs to start. Those who get multiple steeps from green teas have different tastes than me.

Bluewing

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Darjeeling are blacks. I don't recall many blacks that don't give up all of their flavor in the first steeping.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Darjeeling, the champagne of teas, has oolong tendencies ... but most black teas are only good for a couple cups. Then, no more than 5 minutes to avoid developing bitterness.

For a strong second cup- use more tea in the first brewing!

If you want to make cup after cup of great tea, try a puerh. They can provide an incredible number of infusions.

AA

I do 3gs of tea to 6-8 oz of water..On my first cup I do the time for tea.. Then, I add one minute for each cup after..But after 3 cups, they just like hot water to me..

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've been drinking tea exclusively for a couple years now. And embarrassingly enough, I can never seem to make a good, (even OK second infusion). It always tastes thin and often bitter.

I primarily drink Darjeeling teas. I'm just testing out some Oolongs to start.

If this is what you are talking about ...

proxy.php

... then yes, I can understand how you don't get a good second cup. But if you are brewing in a gaiwan ...

proxy.php

... I'd hope for more than one infusion. What sort of set-up are you using? Tell us about your equipment, and are you using loose leaves of tea or teabags, &c?

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
How long do you infuse that first time? It sounds like your tea is just plain ol' spent. Darjeeling also can be very finicky.

Without knowing all the particulars, there are a few things you could try. Brew a little cooler (even just a few more moments off the boil). Infuse for a shorter time. Add a little more tea at the second steeping. Any or all of those could improve your results. No matter what, the second infusion will not be the same as the first.

Not every tea is good for more than one infusion. It sounds like the one you enjoy is among those. That's no big deal, mind you. It doesn't mean it's a bad tea, just that it's not one for steeping again.

Put more tea in a smaller space and reduce the brewing time.

The closer to full leaf and further from dust the better for longevity.

Hi,

Been very busy with life. As we get older, things can happen quickly.

My tea setup is pretty basic, I use an electric kettle to heat water, and a large fine mesh filter to brew directly in my cup. I like to heat my water to the point where I see the tiny bubbles start to form, so not a full boil. I steep my rounded teaspoon, (real measuring spoon), Darjeeling about 3 minutes in 7 or 8 oz of water. I like Vahdam Darjeeling so perhaps you guys are right, once and done for this tea.

I'm just getting started with Oolong. I just got a 100gr pouch of Vahdam Oolong and am having my cups this morning. A nice tea, maybe not the best, but seems quite decent for my uneducated taste. I will test the second cup to see what I get here.

Hi,

OK, lessons learned today.

I've been enjoying my new Oolong from Vahdam. Not quite as good as a couple premium sampler Chinese Oolongs I tried, but respectable and far easier on the wallet.:001_smile They did send a small sample of another one of their Oolongs with this order. So maybe later today. Vahdam is Indian grown and packaged.

I did get two solid cups out of it. The first was very good and the second a bit lighter but still very nice. The third cup that I'm drinking now tells me it's done after this. Even at 4 minutes of steep, the flavor is fading. But there is no bitterness at all. Just a smooth light cup. Oolong is an interesting tea. Wish I had tried some earlier in my conversion.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Darjeeling about 3 minutes in 7 or 8 oz of water.

A lot of the tea discussion you see here will be guys talking about traditional Chinese brewing methods, using either a gaiwan or a small clay pot, but in either case brewing about 3oz or less at a time. So, a much different tea-to-water ratio. You also start off with far shorter steeping times, which makes sense given that ratio.

Gaiwan - Ceramic, White Elegance Design - 100ml cap.
Gaiwan - Porcelain, Lotus Design - 150ml cap.
Jin Hei Gang Clay "Xi Shi" Yixing Teapot * 130ml - Yunnan Sourcing Tea Shop
Da Hong Pao Clay "Rong Tian" Yixing Teapot * 155ml - Yunnan Sourcing Tea Shop

Hi,

Now there is something I know nothing about. I can start to see why I have difficulties. So any good places I can go to read about Chinese tea making? Perhaps this might be more of a refined effort than I wish to go to, being the crude knuckle-dragger type. But I do think I need to learn more about it.

The Paio I tea infuser is very good for multiple infusings. You use quite a bit of tea with a short infusing time. I've never had much luck getting a second brewing from Darjeeling tea. Oolong and green tea works well with the Piao I.

I have been using 3/4 scoop for my first cup, boil water in 30 secs on the induction stove, then pour into my infuser, then for my second infusion i add the 1/4 scoop to the first infusion , eyeball, and it makes the second cup , works for me. Steep is 2-3 mins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 tsp is not a lot of tea. I would suspect it is a one shot deal. I use this set up. I have not had Indian loose leaf tea in quite some time and I don't remember if I ever got a good second cup. I just prefer prefer chinese teas. SOme of those with 1 rounded TSP will give me 2 infusions but the second infusion takes a dramatically long time. Others, like Puerh lots of infusions but the initial infusions are very very short. I have stopped "measuring" and put in pinches for what I feel is the right amount.

1 tsp is not a lot of tea. I would suspect it is a one shot deal. I use this set up. I have not had Indian loose leaf tea in quite some time and I don't remember if I ever got a good second cup. I just prefer prefer chinese teas. SOme of those with 1 rounded TSP will give me 2 infusions but the second infusion takes a dramatically long time. Others, like Puerh lots of infusions but the initial infusions are very very short. I have stopped "measuring" and put in pinches for what I feel is the right amount.

If your relating to my scoop, i should have specified it is a scoop from my old coffee maker cuisanart, so im thinking 3/4 tbls, then add. 1/4 to that for the second cup, it works.

If your relating to my scoop, i should have specified it is a scoop from my old coffee maker cuisanart, so im thinking 3/4 tbls, then add. 1/4 to that for the second cup, it works.

that's more like it. Have you upped the steep time? I find second steeps to be a tad smoother than the first. How bullet proof do you like your tea? The longer the first steep the weaker the second. I have a clear tea cup and I judge by color.

Top Bottom