What's new

Getting the B&B Fragrance Train Rollin' (Again! -- See post 510)

Woodbane,,, your avatar is just HILARIOUS....wanted to tell you that..it cracks me up every time I see that face :biggrin:

Im having a HILARIOUS week..cause I can and want to... :lol:

You're both close, it's actually called 'Gurning'.

GURNING is the art of pulling of grotesque faces. The word gurn means to snarl like a dog, look savage, distort the countenance.

The word gurning seems to have been originally Scottish, in the form girn, which, appears to have been a contorted form of grin. It has had several meanings, of which the oldest - from medieval times - is still current in Scots and Irish dialect.

The origin of gurning is obscure but it is thought to have come from one of two things.

One was making a mockery of the village idiot. Townsfolk would throw a horse collar over the fool and make him pull funny faces in exchange for a few pints.

The other involves a drunken farmer who arrived home to find a discontented wife. He shouted: "Stop gurning woman!" and thrust a collar over her head!
Gurning has been 'named and shamed' as one of the 10 worst tourist trap events in Britain.

Oh, what a veritable fountain of knowledge I am!!:cool:

(oh and Google is my friend.............................) :biggrin:

I believe "Girning" was the original Scottish spelling and it has been changed by the Brits to "Gurning". Probably either one is acceptable.:smile:

Alright gentlemen, the Fragrance Train has arrived at my household!:biggrin:

I spent an extremely enjoyable 45 minutes with the wife last night opening zip lock baggies and sniffing the contents, it kind of reminded me of skanky young teens sniffing glue!!!:eek: :lol:

Anyhoooooooo, wifey never ceases to amaze me and put forth what I thought was actually a pretty bloody good idea.

We're all aware of how different the scents can be from 'in bottle' to 'on skin' due to dry-down right? She suggested putting those tester strips you get in the department store into the pack so you could actually put a tiny drop on the strip and then smell it a little while later to see if you still like it as the scent changes.

Now I know that effectively means you are removing a tiny drop of the sample but given the number of samples and the fact that people are pretty unlikely to test all of them, I don't think it would cause samples to disappear due to people using a small drop of the ones they were most intersted in smelling. Plus, we all have different tastes and so would be unlikely to hit the same samples over and over.

What do you guys think, I thought it sounded like a fairly good concept??

OK guys, here is the updated content list for the box:

1. Acqua di Parma Blu Mediterraneo Mandorlo di Sicilia
2. Atkinson's English Lavender
3. Azzaro Chrome
4. C&E Nomad
5. C&E Sandalwood
6. Calvin Klein Reaction
7. Caswell-Massey Tricorn
8. Floris #89
9. L’Occitane Eau de Badian
10. L’Occitane Eau de Berges (Aftershave)
11. L’Occitane Eau de 4 Voleurs
12. L’Occitane Thé Vert
13. MonteCristo Habana
14. Murray & Lanman’s Florida Water
15. Musgo Real #2 Oak Moss
16. Musgo Real Classic Aftershave
17. Penhaligon’s Endymion
18. Penhaligon’s English Fern
19. Penhaligon’s Hammam Bouquet
20. Penhaligon’s Quercus
21. Penhaligon’s Raquets
22. Provence Sante Green Tea
23. Saint Charles Shave New Spice
24. Shiseido Basala / Basara
25. T&H 1805
26. Tabac
27. Taylor’s Shaving Shop
28. Taylor’s Victorian Lime Aftershave
29. Taylor’s Mr. Taylor
30. Thierry Mugler A*Men
31. Trumper’s Extract of West Indian Limes
32. Trumper’s Bay Rum
33. Trumper’s Geroge F. Trumper (GFT)
34. Trumper’s Sandalwood
35. Woods of Windsor
36. Yves Saint Laurent M7

I also added a ziploc baggie with a bunch of those test strips you get in department stores. I just asked for some and they gave them to me. They are actually a great idea (kudos to the wifey:wink: ) as you can just put a small drop on the end of strip and then smell the cologne go through the various stages.

I'm very much going to enjoy the scents I selected and I added a couple back in as well!:biggrin:

It'll go out tomorrow (Monday) via USPS, I'll PM raisiermesserfan.

Onward, fine steed of steel and steam (and fine fragrances)!!:biggrin:

The B & B fragrance train arrived today. So over the weekend, I'll be sampling some of the wonderful fragrances in the box. I've got a few to add myself.

I'll be ready to ship it out to the next person on Monday, so Scotto, who's the next lucky recipient?

Ed

Top Bottom