What's new

Getting started with safety razors

Greetings,

A brief introduction. My name is Bryce and I'm an enlisted squid in the United States Navy.

I started shaving at 14, and my dad bought me Gillette Mach 3 to mark my passage into manhood, telling me that there I would never for any reason need more than 3 blades on one cartridge.

But the Gillette Fusion Power was too cool too pass up. I used it until I converted to Calvinism in college and a beard became as mandatory as if I joined a sect of Old Order Amish.

When I finished with college [Major Political Science. Minors: French and Creative Writing] I was stunned to learn that the humanities factory had a hiring freeze, and so I went to work for Uncle Sam in the greatest navy ever the world had ever known, so good ole Uncle Sam'd foot the bill for law school.

So for the first time in my life, I started shaving again. By this point, holding a vibrating device in the bathroom seemed somewhat less manly then it did when I was in high school, and I wasn't swayed by the glamour of supporting a multinational business worth billions, so I stayed using the Bic Hybrid 4, which is--ok--also a multinational company worth billions.

Then when I was asea somewhere in the North Atlantic One of my shipmates swiped my stash of razors forcing me to purchase a bunch of Gillette Good News disposables until I got shore leave in jolly England.

There I purchased the Bulldog razor and enough blades to make it to the US of A. I like my bulldog razor. One blade can last a week and a half, but since the first few shaves are amazing, I switch it out every Sunday morning. I also shave with Edge gel. And finish it up with a splash of Old Spice since the scent doesn't linger unless I'm going off base when I use Aqua Velva because it pairs well with my Cool Water colonne.

On October 3, I'm shoving off for an all expenses paid cruise on my Uncle Sam's dime that will last 6½ months. My blades are $2.50 each and I'll need 33 of them. Since they only come in packs of 4, I'll need 36 of them, and with tax I'll be spending $95.40, and there is a realistic chance that one of my shipmates will liberate them from me.

I'm very interesting in switch to a safety razor with double edge blades that I can pick up on line for 100 @ $10. I'm also thinking a safety razor will be theft proof.

I'll be using it with Barbersol, and probably no after shave at all except when going ashore when I'll break out the Stetson so I'll smell like a cowboy to the foreign females likely to encounter.

I've seen a few you tube video demos on how to use a safety razor and without exception they do three passes. One up, one down and one sideways.

Ok, that's kind of a deal breaker right there. I will barely have time to shave one time each day and I Whistler can't do a three-peat on my mug.

Also, how long will one blade last me? I have kind of thick whiskers and am spring a 5 o'clock shadow by evening.

My Amazon subscription for bulldog blades is for a box of 4 every month, whereas the most popular subscription plan is for a 4 box of razors every other month.

Finally, three price range for razors is from $12 to $500. What I could tell from scanning Amazon, $20 - $30 is the going rate.

I also should point out I'll be switching back to my bulldog when I get back home.

Also for full disclosure shaving isn't a hobby. It's something I'm required to do like wearing my hair ridiculously short.

So thanks for bearing with this very long post. I'm look forward hearing from you

Bryce D. Johnson, Pettiest Officer Third Class

Right now on Amazon ..... Edwin Jagger DE razor ($ 28.65) and 100 Astra blades ($ 7.54)
would be a great way to achieve your goal. A very nice combination for around 36 bucks.
Good Luck with your upcoming deployment, and thank you for your service !

Welcome!

i routinely shave 1 pass (down) on days that i go to work, and 2 passes when i have time to relax. That's it, and it works just fine. Lasts all day.

A blade lasts for 4-14 shaves depending on how far i want to push it. I'd figure 4-7 days as a more reasonable range (plan for 4).

For a starter razor, you have a wide variety of options. 2 standard recommendations are the Edwin Jagger de89/Muhle equivalent and the Merkur safety bar (it's the same head; the handles are different). I prefer the Merkur personally, but you'll find tons of people on the other side as well (or on both!).

For the rest, you can use canned foam or a brushless cream like Cremo, but i think that using a brush and cream/soap works well.

A good brush to start with - I'd get a 24-30mm SynBad from APShaveCo. $20ish so relatively cheap, easy to use, durable. They're on Etsy.

Soap/creams - I like Proraso/COBigelow from Bath & Body Works as a starter cream, but you can also order a massive variety of stuff. Maggard's and West Coast Shaving sell a wide variety of stuff.

I'd get a blade sampler kit to figure out which ones work best for you.

Most importantly, learn about good technique - minimal pressure, find the right angle, making a good lather with a brush, . . . this alone will improve your shaving markedly if you aren't already doing it (with any razor, cartridge or otherwise). Numerous videos and such on YouTube.

Good luck, and stay safe

1. there's no problem using a DE (double edge) safety razor with barbasol and no AS if your skin is fine with it, and it looks like it is.

2. 3-pass shave.... Many do do a 3-pass. But some just do 2. And I think there are a few that just do one. You can figure out which matches you. But know this... even with whipping up a lather from a mug of shaving soap and a brush, I can do a complete 3 pass shave in 9 minutes.

3. How long will one blade last? That REALLY varies. There are some who claim that they can only use a blade twice before it tugs enough for them to have to pitch it. I, and some others (even some with thick whiskers), have taken some blades to 100 uses. And that's 100 3-pass shaves. The rule that most people have been taught is to pitch your blade after 5-7 shaves or so. But I actually think that most folks could get 15 easily if they tried.

4. Hi from one vet to another. I'm Air Force, my two uncles were Army, I have a Marine Bro-in-law, and a Navy cousin. Proud of you, man!

5. Good Videos:

* Michael Freedberg's Wet Shaving Tutorial (4 parts)
* mantic59's Introduction to Traditional Wet Shaving (several vids)
* Me, doing a 9 min 3 pass shave
* Mantic59 doing a 10 min wet shave

6. Some words on razors that I had tucked away...

**RazoRock Game Changer .84**
I like this razor as well. the .68 gap was much too mild for me. The .84 is not aggressive to me, and I can also use it every day. Material is stainless steel, so it will last multiple lifetimes, and will likekly not break if dropped. Is a nice balance between efficient cutting (i.e. a closer shave) and comfort/smoothness. Those two attributes are ones that you'll see a lot around here because often the smoother and more comfortable you get, you start to lose the close cut (sometimes it is still good enough though). And the other way around, if you go for a super close cut, then you get more aggressive, which may lead to razor burn, irritation, or nicks. And then of course you have gradients between those extremes. $50-60

**Razorock Mamba**
If you think you might like the mild side, the Mamba is a smooth, stainless steel razor that has been around for a while. I love mine. $50-60

**Rockwell 6C**
This is a zamak/pot metal razor, and requires cleaning and care (but not an excessive amount) or the metal can corrode. these can also break when dropped. However sometimes cost is the benefit here, and with reasonable care, these can last a long time. $35 or so, I think.

This is an adjustable razor, with multiple baseplates that give you different levels of aggression. If you like aggressive razors, the upper end of this one can be a good place for you. But I don't. so I always found myself just using the 2 or 3 plate to get a comfy shave. I can shave with a 4 or 5, but since I get a great shave at a lower setting, I stick with the comfort. However, the RR GC 84 beats even the 2-3 plates for me easily.

**Edwin Jagger, Mühle, Merkur, Parker**
Unless specifically mentioned, all of these are zamak razors and have the problems I listed above. Many share the same heads, so do your research there if saving money is more important than looks. I know most of the Merkurs share the same head. And the Merkurs are not crafted as nicely as the other 3, IMO. On amazon, people won't stop raving about the "german quality", but if you look on the under side of the head, it is not finished/plated very well.

I first started on Amazon, before I found the subs and forums, and I got quite a collection of Parkers, Merkurs, and a Jagger. Pretty much sold them all when I found vintage Gillettes and razors like Fatips and Game Changers. Not only were the materials better, but the shave quality matched me better, too.

**Fatip**
These are plated like the 4 brands above, but the core is brass, so that makes this one a multi-lifetime razor. I find them very smooth and efficient. Some report quality issues, but I have 3-4 of these guys and they shave great. And they're at a great price point too. This is the razor I would buy if I only had $26 to my name. Both the mild head (Testina Gentile) and the open comb (Grande and Piccolo) are very good at cutting, but also very smooth. The open comb is just a little more aggressive. But just recently, I used the mild head to mow down 3 days of growth with no problem whatsoever.

**Maggard Razors V3**
Another way to go is a razor from Maggards. You choose a stainless steel handle from many options they have. Then you can get a 2 head bundle (or just 1). Their V3 head is the same geometry as many Jaggers, parkers, and muhles. Shaves well for so many people. The other head, could be the V3A, which is a little more aggressive... or the V3M which is more mild. Then you would know what you like better. These heads are zamak, but the handles are not.

**Baili**
Thse are chinese razors on amazon or aliexpress.com and shave very well for a low price point. A great way to test the waters and get started. Zamak.

**Vintage Gillette**
Available on ebay and /r/Shave_Bazaar ... these are awesome options because most are brass core, and have already lasted a lifetime, and will likely outlive you. Techs are super smooth and cheap. The Slim is an adjustable that many love. The superspeeds are middle of the road pieces that appeal to many. But good advice is not to buy on eBay until you know more (unless it's maybe a $12 purchase or so). Often a $12 Tech is priced at $100 because the seller just doesn't know that a zillion were made.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Welcome and thank you for your service!

My advice is to get something mild like a Gillette Tech, a good, currently manufactured Tech clone or one of the mild and inexpensive RazoRock offerings (the aluminum Lupo and the MJ-90A are both reasonably priced, available and very good razors).

Blades are very personal. Going with the previously mentioned Astra blades will certainly work. I'd spend some time reading the Safety Razor Blades forum to get some ideas.

Best of luck and be safe.

Thank you for your service!

I've only recently begun using a double edge safety razor (about 3-4 months). My biggest advice is learn the proper technique, and forget how you shaved with the disposable razors. The videos posted above are great, and this forum is also a great resource. It took me a few weeks to get the technique to where I wasn't getting cuts/weepers, but I also had to find the right blades for my whiskers/face. I have pretty thick stubble, so need to use pretty sharp blades (Feather or Polsilver, mostly). When I use something less sharp, I get a lot more cuts on the face.
I realize you don't have much time before heading out; the advise given above is all great, so good luck!

Right now on Amazon ..... Edwin Jagger DE razor ($ 28.65) and 100 Astra blades ($ 7.54)
would be a great way to achieve your goal. A very nice combination for around 36 bucks.
Good Luck with your upcoming deployment, and thank you for your service !

I agree whole-heartedly with the above recommendation. Good luck in your search. Welcome, & thank you for your service.

Yes, thanks for doing this for me and mine’s freedoms. You are appreciated by this proud son of a tin can sailor.
You might also score a bottle of Head Blade’s Clear Head (or similar) for treating the occasional rash, bump, or cut. Alum maybe, as well. (Which may have been mentioned-I don't have my readers by me right now)

Bon Voyage and God Bless!

Welcome, Bryce!

Lots of great advice above.

Sounds like you will not want to bring a razor that costs more than $40 onto the ship. Three great options are the Edwin Jagger DE89, the Merkur 34C and the RazoRock Mission. westcoastshaving.com offers a wide range of products and italianbarber.com (the retail arm of RazoRock) sells the RazoRock. Astra Superior Platinum blades are very popular and affordable on Amazon, but I prefer the Astra Superior Stainless for about the same price.

While your gear is important, as others have said do pay attention to your technique.

For over 40 years I just hated hacking up my face with a cartridge razor and then in December 2018 my daughter turned me on to wet shaving when she came home from university on holiday break packing a Merkur safety razor and a box of 100 Astra blades, and let me have a try. And overnight shaving became something I enjoyed and, as they say, the rest is history.

And I could not agree more with your obviously very smart father - you will never need more than three blades in your razor :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also should point out I'll be switching back to my bulldog when I get back home.

If you're not planning on continuing with a DE, I see no sense in getting one. It takes about a month to learn how to use a DE, brush & soap.

Get a cheap $2 Gillette Guard. It shaves pretty much like a DE if you discount the pivoting head.

96 cartridges come for about $25

Last edited:
If you're not planning on continuing with a DE, I see no sense in getting one. It takes about a month to learn how to use a DE, brush & soap.

Get a cheap $2 Gillette Guard. It shaves pretty much like a DE if you discount the pivoting head.

96 cartridges come for about $25

+1 ... The guard is fantastic, cheap, and many would say the best disposable out there. I have a stash I use for traveling. The stash will come with a few handles, I believe.. so it's a one stop shop.

Unfortunately, it'll take up to a month to come from India unless you order from the local retailers (Handlebar Supply, WCS, and maybe Maggards?). That's going to cost a bit more.

Edit: just saw the prices... Not too bad, really. It's $3.50 for a 6 pack of blades at Maggards. Should get a week or more it blade. Still sizably cheaper than Gillette latest offering.

Good luck, and thank you for your service.

Last edited:

Good to offer other options, but I disagree here. It never hurts to learn a new skills, and the cost of a razor and 50 blades is not exactly cost prohibitive. It will also save space. Given his restrictions, wet shaving sounds pretty reasonable. Just add a small tube or two of Proraso. Nice, compact, practical.

And he is in a perfect place to practice; no girls for weeks at a time, so perfect time for nicks and weepers. :)

Personally i’d stick with carts. DE shaving is awesome but if you’re just trying to get as close and fast a shave as possible, DE’s are not going to be a good solution. The price on generic carts has come down a lot so i’d find one you like and just buy a ton. DE’s just aren’t as efficient especially if you have a coarse beard. More fun? Absolutely. Better shave if you put in the time? I’d say yes. But for purely utilitarian purposes, i think you’re best served buying generic carts.

Welcome aboard! And THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!

Some great advice above! I also support the EJ89 series or 34C as great razors to start with. You should also get a DE blade sampler (or two). Blades last until they are ‘done.’ Some here use a blade once while others can get 100 shaves per blade. I get 7-10 shaves, sometimes more, from my top tier blades.

Tons of good info already posted. A few additional thoughts from my transition to DE shaving. Keep in mind I now know I have soft skin and a mild-medium beard. And I actually liked my Gillette Fusion when I started this journey.
  • Consider the Rockwell options, especially if you think your beard and shaving may lead you toward mild razors. I bought the Maggard V3 thinking it would be a mild intro and maybe work towards a more aggressive razor later. To my surprise, I discovered I needed/preferred less aggressive razors than the V3. The Rockwell 6c/6s kits have lots of flexibility in the mild department, and I wish I had started there.
  • Don’t search for the perfect blade when you’re just starting; just find a blade that works. I tried tons of blades in the beginning only to later realize my acute lack of ability masked most if not all differences.
  • Expect to change blades more often (e.g. 2 blades per week) if you end up using sharper blades in milder razors.
  • I still often use Barbersol with my DE, but I’ve since found Nueva Post Shave balm to be super helpful in sustaining daily shaving.
Once you get the hang of it, it’s highly unlikely you’ll want to go back!

If you're shoving off soon (wouldn't make a habit of saying when, for obvious reasons), a DE or SE is probably not your best choice. There's a learning curve associated with each, measured in weeks to months. I started out with SE decades ago, went to cartridges, and when I went back, it still took a while to get a passable three-pass shave, and maybe around a couple of years to get it down to one-pass. These days, with a DE and SE and canned foam, I can get a better shave than with a cartridge, in the same amount of time. But it took a while to get to that point.

Yes, you can get a danged good shave with a DE and SE using only one pass, one that will remain passable (at least in the civilian world) for at least 12 hours. This was standard when DE, SE, and electrics were the only way to shave. But keep in mind you most likely won't get to that point before you leave.

While I don't prefer disposable twin blade razors, have used them on trips. The techniques here on B&B will greatly improve all wet shaving, including cartridges. Have had better results with disposable three-blade razors, but you want something that won't likely get stolen.

You could consider leaving something to be stolen, and keeping the good stuff hidden. Such as cleaning up used cartridges and putting them back in the holders. That's if it doesn't violate the USCMJ or health regs.

For a DE in such situations, I'd think cheap. I've gotten good results out of Weishi, though it's a mild razor. the Van der Hagan razor looks like a Weishi, but feels a tad more aggressive to me. One problem with a Weishi I had was that the Twist to Open mechanism would freeze up. A three-piece razor doesn't have that problem, but is a tad more expensive.

Aftershave...debatable. These days, I use Old Spice as a daily aftershave because it has a slight lotion effect for me. OTOH, no one says you have to use one.

Best of luck, and smooth sailing.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Welcome, Bryce!

Lots of great advice above.

Sounds like you will not want to bring a razor that costs more than $40 onto the ship. Three great options are the Edwin Jagger DE89, the Merkur 34C and the RazoRock Mission. westcoastshaving.com offers a wide range of products and italianbarber.com (the retail arm of RazoRock) sells the RazoRock. Astra Superior Platinum blades are very popular and affordable on Amazon, but I prefer the Astra Superior Stainless for about the same price.

While your gear is important, as others have said do pay attention to your technique.

For over 40 years I just hated hacking up my face with a cartridge razor and then in December 2018 my daughter turned me on to wet shaving when she came home from university on holiday break packing a Merkur safety razor and a box of 100 Astra blades, and let me have a try. And overnight shaving became something I enjoyed and, as they say, the rest is history.

And I could not agree more with your obviously very smart father - you will never need more than three blades in your razor :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are the first guy I've ever heard of to be switched into a DE shaver by his daughter! You are one blessed dude, a daughter that saves money while in college! You owe her a hug my friend!

I have a micro touch one classic safety razor that I will be glad to send you, if you will receive it. I would need your address shortly, in order to have it shipped today. I will include the stand and two packs of five blades each. One of Red Persona and one pack of Kai.

I myself, did not find d/e razors and lathering taking anything near weeks to get the hang of in order to obtain a decent shave. More like a couple shaves. They were absolutely no problem for me to switch to from cartridge types. Maybe it was all the practice I had as a knee high lad shaving next to dad with my plastic toy shave kit, lol. I found it very intuitive.

While this isn’t a terrific razor, I have had no issues with it. I have only used it a few times, as I have a couple others....this was purchased while another was being re-plated. You may need to have a certain number of posts in order to message me your address, though I am not sure. Maybe a mod can enable it if it is not, in order to allow this to take place if you are interested. If this gets stolen then, you are out nothing, and will have had a chance to give one a try. Even if you choose to buy a nicer one and continue with D/Es. I will throw in a bar of sandlewood/patchouli and another.

Classic Safety Razor w/ 12 Precision Blades & Chrome Stand - for Clean Shave - Walmart.com - https://www.walmart.com/ip/Classic-Safety-Razor-w-12-Precision-Blades-Chrome-Stand-for-Clean-Shave/912172828?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=6446&adid=22222222227155958268&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=t&wl3=344381681195&wl4=pla-468074492834&wl5=9021462&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=115059210&wl11=online&wl12=912172828&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5rbsBRCFARIsAGEYRwdBZzl45GZftA2yzRooZwcEOD-mfuCameUh9fC_8iAh9ouZwlsPIsQaAkdQEALw_wcB

3360A0D8-ED46-40A7-B5D0-88EDCC1C4DA7.jpeg

Last edited:
Top Bottom