What's new

Getting started with a hone

Buy some sandpaper. You can't beat the price and you can get some real high grits for a very reasonable price.
I am sure the paperheads can get you started in the right direction
You can't beat the cost/quality value on paper, so its great for starting out.
Good luck.

Net: just go have fun! When you get your first edge from dull to "oh my!", you'll grin like an idiot. Just the other day I got my old Puma to a state of sharp and smooth that I'd never experienced before...was amazing.

Last edited:
That's a nice looking stone. I would get a slurry stone, makes life easier. Also as suggested above check out coticule.be for some great information.

Check out the superior shave, slurry stones are 12-18 bucks.

Yeah that is a pretty coti. I've had a few with that sort of patterning and they were always my favorites. Not too soft, not too hard. I agree about the slurry. I used dmt's to slurry coti's for awhile but I much prefer a rubbing stone. The softer the better on the rubbing stone (imho) if you get to pick.

Yeah that is a pretty coti. I've had a few with that sort of patterning and they were always my favorites. Not too soft, not too hard. I agree about the slurry. I used dmt's to slurry coti's for awhile but I much prefer a rubbing stone. The softer the better on the rubbing stone (imho) if you get to pick.

Nice to have you back Ian!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
one other thing about your coticule...the 30mm width is an advantage when you're honing razors with a smiling spine. some prefer no narrower than 40mm widths and some even like the wider 50's but you can hone on a narrow stone like you have quite successfully, but take your time developing your honing stroke so as not to rock the blade side to side. Those with sloppy honing strokes do better honing on surfaces 3" in width, like hones made for sharpening wood working tools...Nortons, or bull nose marble sills some here use for film based honing. Nothing wrong with those but no skill is involved so perfect for mindless honing, or those short of skill=:)

Best,

Jake
Reddick Fla.

I may have sloppy honing skills, but my edges are sweet, nonetheless! FILM ROCKS! (Cotis also rock... slightly, sort of.)

Top Bottom