What's new

Getting started - but do I have the stones?

Trying to return to straight razors, I discovered this JA Henckles stashed away. Being the large chip, I figured "why not?" and carefully took off some metal with the bench grinder.

Beyond cleaning it up, I've no real idea what I'm doing. I can't seem to get a bevel. Though reading through some threads, I guess I need to focus on one side only until I get a burr.

In my various stones, I've got some barber hones - a Pike Wireless and some other Swaty (clones?). I've got an Arkansas "oil stone", and a Norton something or other (maybe Crystalon ) that falls into the generic coarse/fine category that's probably geared more towards yard tools.

Should I be able to work with what I've got or should I look into more stones?

My current thoughts have been work it with the Norton until there's a decent bevel and edge. Then switch to the Arkansas Oil and finally one of the barber hones.

Before and After pics attached.

Attachments

• JA-Henckles.jpg
    JA-Henckles.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 24
  • JA-Henckles-wip.jpg
    JA-Henckles-wip.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
If you did that on a bench grinder without extreme care to keep the steel cool, the temper is probably gone so the stones don’t matter, it won’t hold an edge anymore.

Your stones seem way too coarse for finishing a straight razor - what kind of Norton and what kind of Ark makes a difference. The barber hones are probably fine enough, but there’s no way to tell from your descriptions if the other stones are suitable to get you to the point of using the barber hone(s).

If you did that on a bench grinder without extreme care to keep the steel cool, the temper is probably gone so the stones don’t matter, it won’t hold an edge anymore.

Your stones seem way too coarse for finishing a straight razor - what kind of Norton and what kind of Ark makes a difference. The barber hones are probably fine enough, but there’s no way to tell from your descriptions if the other stones are suitable to get you to the point of using the barber hone(s).

The Ark feels 'almost' as smooth as the barber hones. The Norton is borderline sandpaper. I tried looking up the #s on it, but couldn't find a match. Pretty sure it was a blister package from Home Depot though.

As for the grinder and keeping it cool, it was light touches and bare hands. I never noticed any heat, but that's not to say I didn't bork it anyway.

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Got a pic of the oil stone? It could be anything from a Washita to a soft or translucent. Huge range there.

Got a pic of the oil stone? It could be anything from a Washita to a soft or translucent. Huge range there.

Bottom is the one I was referring to.

Top one I forgot I had, but it has cracked/brittle bottom

Attachments

• 2020-04-27 10.23.00.jpg
    2020-04-27 10.23.00.jpg
    927.7 KB · Views: 17
Those Nortons are in the 80 - 120 grit range, as for that Ark it looks like a soft ark which is more for bevel setting (though it will take a while).

Those Nortons are in the 80 - 120 grit range, as for that Ark it looks like a soft ark which is more for bevel setting (though it will take a while).

Are both in that picture above arks?

I've got a neighbor who can lend me a diamond stone block too. The 4-sided harbor freight deal. Maxes out at 600 grit though

The "after" picture looks like the edge still needs quite a bit of work, too. The heal is lower then the rest of the blade, and toward the toe, there looks to be small chips if my eyes aren't deceiving me. You want that edge exactly the same from heal to toe. This can be corrected with a bit of work on your low grit stones, since they cant take off a lot of steel.

But I am wondering if its even worth it. That is a quite a bit of hone wear on the spine as it is (not a deal breaker, though, as there is still life left in the spine), and as mentioned, putting it on the grinder may have hosed the temper.

When you move it back and forth in the light, does it have any rainbow hue over the metal at all?

But I am wondering if its even worth it. [...]
When you move it back and forth in the light, does it have any rainbow hue over the metal at all?

Probably not worth it, which is why I'm willing to experiment with it myself!

And I dont see any discoloration.

Steve56

Ask me about shaving naked!
You will need 8000 grit or above to finish a razor, and some kind of a progression of supporting stones to get you there.

The cheapest initial investment would be lapping film - a few 10s of dollars I guess. There are many threads here about it and many folks will help you if you go that route.

Well, no rainbow effect likely means the temper is ok, which is good!

Steve has a good option... buying some lapping film for progression would be good. Someone else can guide you beter, I am sure, on getting your edge straight with the stones you have, and once there, getting your bezel on a something around 1K (which I dont think you have at the moment), and then 3K, 5K (my guess is your Swaty clone is around 5K), then to 8 or 10K for the polish.

Are both in that picture above arks?

I've got a neighbor who can lend me a diamond stone block too. The 4-sided harbor freight deal. Maxes out at 600 grit though
I’m not sure about the stone on top but the stone at the bottom of the picture is. I would clean all that swarf out and go from there.

Those HB diamondhones are extremely course and typically out of flat. I wouldn’t recommend using one unless you need to do some extremely heavy work.

Top Bottom