What's new

Getting serious about a Black Arkansas stone

So it seems like there is a lot of consensus that the stones from dans come flat or damn close to it and that I should just email them with a request for one that is true to that reputation.

I have wanted to stay away from SiC and a plate because of the mess and somewhat of a need to spread out. Peace in the home should be maintained you’ll understand. But there is always some flex so I’ll have options. Also there is a bit of redundancy in my array of lapping plates so if I burn a couple out, NBD

And so far as to burnish or not to burnish it will have 2 sides so why not do both.

i lapped my dans blue/black to an exhausted 600 SiC grit. im guessing 800. i did not like it burnished, no feedback and very slow. good thing since stone is very flat it only takes about 10 minutes to convert surface

i lapped my dans blue/black to an exhausted 600 SiC grit. im guessing 800. i did not like it burnished, no feedback and very slow. good thing since stone is very flat it only takes about 10 minutes to convert surface
Was the only difference between burnished and not speed and feedback? Did you notice any difference in the edge?

Was the only difference between burnished and not speed and feedback? Did you notice any difference in the edge?
. I like the non burnished ark edge best!!!! My blue/ surgical has slight reflectance when held at angle..... But every stone, razor and user is unique, test to see what works for you. After stone is flat it’s quick to change surfaces, burnishing takes a while.

I got a couple of stone from Dans, and they are great to deal with it. I have 3 primitive stones one in surgical black and 2 translucents and their huge. They are amazing. With the money I saved I got myself a soft and a hard. I actually have a "Washita" arriving today which I had them get a very unique one. The production manager hand picked it and it suppose to have alot purple and pink. Talk to Mary or Kim they are wonderful to deal with and be patient. Goodluck!

Here it is. It's beautiful in person.

Attachments

• 20200520_143658.jpg
    20200520_143658.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 48
  • 20200520_143645.jpg
    20200520_143645.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 46
  • 20200520_143619.jpg
    20200520_143619.jpg
    829.1 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200520_143630.jpg
    20200520_143630.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 43
That's got a good amount of tooth to it. It should work well, but you may notice it improves a touch after a little use. That looks like a 200ish grit finish to my eyes.

Nice thread, nice hijacks. Could be an expensive thread to read, though.

I have had Dan’s bookmarked for a year, but so far my wallet is intact. I grew up with Arkansas stones for my knives, so I expect I’m doomed eventually. Sad, really. :biggrin1::thumbup:

That's got a good amount of tooth to it. It should work well, but you may notice it improves a touch after a little use. That looks like a 200ish grit finish to my eyes.
It feels alot courser. I have a soft 8*3*1 and this washita is courser. I have a long list of hones to try already, but I'm adding it to the list lol.

Nice thread, nice hijacks. Could be an expensive thread to read, though.

I have had Dan’s bookmarked for a year, but so far my wallet is intact. I grew up with Arkansas stones for my knives, so I expect I’m doomed eventually. Sad, really. :biggrin1::thumbup:

I have spent 700ish this year on Arks so be careful. The good thing is that it isnt as bad as Jnats. I have spend about 2.5k on them. And that being said there are worth it. Having something american made is nice but they do have their pros and cons.

I purchased and just received three stones from Dans . Soft hard and black surgical. I’m not going to lap them initially. Going to try them right out of the box on an older razor. I have the SIC to use if n ended from some other synthetic stones i have. I’m torn between water or oil on the arks though.

I purchased and just received three stones from Dans . Soft hard and black surgical. I’m not going to lap them initially. Going to try them right out of the box on an older razor. I have the SIC to use if n ended from some other synthetic stones i have. I’m torn between water or oil on the arks though.
Nice! I would use water and soap and if you dont like it then use oil. I dont like oil but I think Im going on the washita or soft so I can know. I wouldnt do it to the harder stones but that is my personal choice. Hone and see what works. Sometimes you just have to roll up your sleeves and get to it.

I've ran in to the pockmarks but I think they are caused by the stone itself rather than the SIC. Some of the translucent and blacks have what looks like little tiny bubbles in them and when you lap into them they leave those marks. I just finished up lapping a 12x3x1 Norton Black on 400x SIC and it's smooth as glass-no marks at all.
I’ve never come across pockmarks either unless air bubbles were present. Both sides of my current Ark like glass and lapped with SiC.

Nice! I would use water and soap and if you dont like it then use oil. I dont like oil but I think Im going on the washita or soft so I can know. I wouldnt do it to the harder stones but that is my personal choice. Hone and see what works. Sometimes you just have to roll up your sleeves and get to it.
Norton honing oil is white mineral oil and its colorless and odorless. Its the only oil I will hone with and cleans up easily too.

So last night I pulled the trigger on that 8x3x1 black ark. Hopefully it’ll be here by the end of the week. Got some honing oil with it also but I have balistol already. Anybody have a preference?

Lately I’ve been using gamsol, because I’ve got a lot of it around and it’s a good consistency... but it’s pricy for honing oil.

Top Bottom