What's new

Getting serious about a Black Arkansas stone

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Tell us your order!
First a list of the stones I already have and use.

800 chosera
4k/8k Norton
6" x 2" convexed coticule
6" x 2" Surgical Black Arkansas
210mm x 700mm x 100mm naniwa 12k
DMT combo red/blue

I have found the 800 chosera to be a good fast cutting stone, but it takes forever to hone the striations out with the Norton combo.
The Norton combo is a great stone, but needs constant dressing by the DMT. I can get a nice comfortable edge from the 8k side, it only takes a few thousand laps.
I could never get a shave-ready edge from the coticule, so I convexed it. Now it will set a bevel you can shave off.
The naniwa 12k is just too finicky.
Oh, I can get a fantastic wicked sharp edge, and the stone is fast. But it's listing as being a splash and go is a fantasy tale.
If you only get one side wet it bows over 25mm in the center. It also loads up faster than the Norton. I soak it and use it under running water because you never know which way it is going to bow. :a21:

Hopefully the new arks Dan's is going to set me up with will be a really nice progression along with the Surgical Black that I already have.

An 8 x 2 x 1/2 Translucent Ark $130.72
An 8 x 2 x 1/2 Hard Ark $36.97
An 8 x 2 x 1/2 Soft Ark $29.51
3 oz Honing Oil $4.09

With 10% discount and $9.95 shipping it comes out to $191.11 total.

When I read stuff like that about the Naniwa super stones, it makes me glad I never kept one for more than a few months. Had my sigma power for almost a decade, while it doesn’t get used all that often It basically looks the same it did when I bought it. I’m sure all the super Stones don’t behaves badly is some do, but Glad I never had to make that gamble Glad I never had to make that gamble

Heard problems with Naniwa stones in general. I decided to go with shapton stones and their great. Dont use them to much for razors, but they are holding up very well with the abuse I give them with my knives so much that I'm planning on getting rid of my extras. Natural are my thing now.

First a list of the stones I already have and use.

800 chosera
4k/8k Norton
6" x 2" convexed coticule
6" x 2" Surgical Black Arkansas
210mm x 700mm x 100mm naniwa 12k
DMT combo red/blue

I have found the 800 chosera to be a good fast cutting stone, but it takes forever to hone the striations out with the Norton combo.
The Norton combo is a great stone, but needs constant dressing by the DMT. I can get a nice comfortable edge from the 8k side, it only takes a few thousand laps.
I could never get a shave-ready edge from the coticule, so I convexed it. Now it will set a bevel you can shave off.
The naniwa 12k is just too finicky.
Oh, I can get a fantastic wicked sharp edge, and the stone is fast. But it's listing as being a splash and go is a fantasy tale.
If you only get one side wet it bows over 25mm in the center. It also loads up faster than the Norton. I soak it and use it under running water because you never know which way it is going to bow. :a21:

Hopefully the new arks Dan's is going to set me up with will be a really nice progression along with the Surgical Black that I already have.

An 8 x 2 x 1/2 Translucent Ark $130.72
An 8 x 2 x 1/2 Hard Ark $36.97
An 8 x 2 x 1/2 Soft Ark $29.51
3 oz Honing Oil $4.09

With 10% discount and $9.95 shipping it comes out to $191.11 total.
I'm going to get on the waitlist for 8x3x1. Heard it can be up to year but that is fine with me.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Great thread on Arks! Thanks!

Just received a Dan’s 8X2 surgical black for Christmas. Looking forward to dressing it with 600 WD and trying it out.
Kim at Dan's advised me to use 200 silicon carbide sandpaper to refresh my arks with. I was using 600 then 1200, I even tried sic lapping powder. Got a great mirror finish on the stones, but I have found 200 silicon carbide dry lube works best for me.

Top Bottom