What's new

Getting Rid of Compact Discs

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have quite a few music CDsand vinyl records that I have kept. Most of our DVD and Blue Ray discs have been given away to a local charity for a tax donation.

I had a lot of old CDs and DVDs that were computer discs from the time when software came on discs rather than through digital downloads. In our area, you used to be able to recycle these discs at recycling events to recover the plastic content (and perhaps the metal film). However, when we had a recent event, the county indicated that they could not find anyone willing to recycle the discs, so I had to dumped about 20 lbs. of old discs into the trash. What a shame.
Most plastic is not really recycled- it is sent to other countries where they burn it for fuel. We are having a harder time finding people willing to take our plastic trash any more. They are figuring it out that it isn't worth the damage to their air quality.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Last week I received the items back from Eaglesaver that they did not accept. They sent an email with a tracking number too. This concluded my transaction with them.

You may recall that I had an issue with Decluttr wherein they said they did not receive certain items. After I contacted them I was told that it was received and that a separate check would be sent along with a confirming email. I received neither.

After further inquiry I was then told that the previous info I received was incorrect and that the transaction was considered closed.

Now here’s the deal. The items were only worth a couple of bucks but here’s what rubs me the wrong way. When those items were sent, they were oversized so I had to ship these 2 particular items in a separate package. I checked both items to make sure everything was included. The tracking number indicates that it was in fact delivered and named the specific individual who received the package.

So how do they say that the items were not received? Especially after I was told that they had been received.

So Decluttr gets some de-merit points for trustworthiness and accuracy.

My transaction with Eaglesaver went much smoother and was much more satisfactory.

In conclusion, Eaglesaver is your best bet if you want to unload your CDs. They are reliable, communicative and pay out almost double the value than Decluttr.

This is good to know.. Though very close to a technology, I did not have great internet service and it is expensive, so I have not adopted streaming. I have pulled away from iTunes for issues of limited digital rights - frustrating when your playlist will not play in full when you offline (relaxing at night in some remote village in Africa that has no electricity) or cannot use on another device do to transfer rights with time.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Last week I received the items back from Eaglesaver that they did not accept. They sent an email with a tracking number too. This concluded my transaction with them.

You may recall that I had an issue with Decluttr wherein they said they did not receive certain items. After I contacted them I was told that it was received and that a separate check would be sent along with a confirming email. I received neither.

After further inquiry I was then told that the previous info I received was incorrect and that the transaction was considered closed.

Now here’s the deal. The items were only worth a couple of bucks but here’s what rubs me the wrong way. When those items were sent, they were oversized so I had to ship these 2 particular items in a separate package. I checked both items to make sure everything was included. The tracking number indicates that it was in fact delivered and named the specific individual who received the package.

So how do they say that the items were not received? Especially after I was told that they had been received.

So Decluttr gets some de-merit points for trustworthiness and accuracy.

My transaction with Eaglesaver went much smoother and was much more satisfactory.

In conclusion, Eaglesaver is your best bet if you want to unload your CDs. They are reliable, communicative and pay out almost double the value than Decluttr.
based on this reporting i would say decluttr earns way more than some demerits!
On a side note, a pipe over a bookcase in my office gave way and the resulting flood soaked important papers and a shelf of CDs.
I haven't inspected them yet.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
So while sitting in bumper-to-bumper traffic today, I decided to call Decluttr again. This time I requested to speak with a supervisor and was told that she was unavailable but they will look into it send me a confirming email and that a separate check would be sent.

This is what I was told previously and nothing happened. Let’s see if they follow up this time.

based on this reporting i would say decluttr earns way more than some demerits!
On a side note, a pipe over a bookcase in my office gave way and the resulting flood soaked important papers and a shelf of CDs.
I haven't inspected them yet.

Water is not good for books and papers, but it should have little affect on the CDs. When I was a member of the Netflix DVD service, I would often get DVDs that would not play because they had fingerprints. I would take them to a sink and wash them in a few drops of dish detergent and then rinse them. Dry them by blotting with a clean, lint-free towel. Do not rub them as they can cause scratches.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Water is not good for books and papers, but it should have little affect on the CDs. When I was a member of the Netflix DVD service, I would often get DVDs that would not play because they had fingerprints. I would take them to a sink and wash them in a few drops of dish detergent and then rinse them. Dry them by blotting with a clean, lint-free towel. Do not rub them as they can cause scratches.
Thanks
I may have to trash the paper inserts
They fixed it last Friday but it erupted again today

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
I moved recently and ended up throwing out all my cds. I had nothing close to the amount you had though.

I have too many, but most have been removed from jewel cases and put into cd albums, with 100 per binder. My thing now is to rip WMA and then put them all onto data cd's for use in the car, where I listen to most of my music. That way I've got all the commercial releases from The Who on 3 cds, Pink Floyd on 2, etc.

Not many mainstream cd's in my house, so I'm leaving all mine for my kids & grandkids to deal with when I die. No one is going to beating down the door for 125+ Irish punk cd's from unknown, drunkin', bar-bands around the world, 30 (or more) Brubeck cd's of his 50s/60s music, 2 dozen Mississippi blues (Fred McDowell, John Hurt, RL Burnside, T-Model Ford) and multiple cd's from fringe groups like The Singing Loins & Hank III. I still enjoy listening to my cd's, so they stay put. I will admit that most are confined to my car or the house when my wife is not present. :001_rolle

Not many mainstream cd's in my house, so I'm leaving all mine for my kids & grandkids to deal with when I die. No one is going to beating down the door for 125+ Irish punk cd's from unknown, drunkin', bar-bands around the world, 30 (or more) Brubeck cd's of his 50s/60s music, 2 dozen Mississippi blues (Fred McDowell, John Hurt, RL Burnside, T-Model Ford) and multiple cd's from fringe groups like The Singing Loins & Hank III. I still enjoy listening to my cd's, so they stay put. I will admit that most are confined to my car or the house when my wife is not present. :001_rolle

Music has been such an integral part of my life probably starting in utero, there's no way i'm getting rid of it in any format. Recently fixed issues with my turntable and phono-pre and am having a blast digging through the vinyl i haven't listened to for too long.
dave

Just like we have different preferences for razors, blades, soaps, fragrances, we also have different tastes in music. I was familiar with some of your choices, but not others, but I was intrigued enough to look them up on YouTube. I enjoyed expanding my musical horizons.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Update on transaction with Decluttr:

This was the response I received on Saturday after sending an email saying that I was previously told that the items were indeed received and that I would be receiving a check.

DB7D5737-09DA-49C5-9EC7-828D220607FA.jpeg

My response to the above email sent Saturday (spelling errors included :biggrin: ).

1A914756-5389-4245-9E5E-899A66F9F0F1.jpeg

As I mentioned earlier, I then called Decluttr this past Monday.

I received this email today:

53E9B6EF-3E0C-4D0C-B109-681835F4E3D2.jpeg

I’ll see you in 7-15 business days. :rolleyes:

Like one of the above posters, there are very few mainstream released CD's in my house.
However, I have a few hundred underground death and black metal discs that I've collected since the mid 1990's.
I think a lot about getting rid of them, DVD's, and video game stuff to de-clutter, but I don't think I could live with myself.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
8352824C-4E8F-42AA-A473-F20B9C33E77C.jpeg
My transaction with Decluttr concluded yesterday with the receipt of a check for the items they previously indicated had not been received.

Although Decluttr finally made good on those particular items I sent, their customer service left something to be desired.

Overall, my experience with Eaglesaver far surpassed that of my experience with Decluttr in both money paid out for items sent (almost double for the same amount of items) and customer satisfaction (great communication and following through on returning items).

To be objective, Decluttr’s scanning app was much easier/quicker to use than Eaglesaver’s scanning tool.

For those of you who are thinking of unloading your CDs or other media can go to Bonavendi.com to get price comparisons from more than 30 vendor websites for buying and selling used items.

With this task now complete, it just dawned on me that I have gotten rid of most of my once quite formidable CD collection.

:scared: NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

:wink: :biggrin:

Last edited:
Top Bottom